I've been playing with the free Waze app on my smart phone.

https://www. waze.com/

Its really been an asset on roadtrips.

More info then gps.

I'm almost ready to retire Carmen the Garmin.

Anyone else a Wazer?

I want to get it running on my FFH console screen. Via bluetooth, USB, video jacks, anyway possible.

Any Ideas???

I've been playing with the free Waze app on my smart phone.

https://www. waze.com/

Its really been an asset on roadtrips.

More info then gps.

I'm almost ready to retire Carmen the Garmin.

Anyone else a Wazer?

I want to get it running on my FFH console screen. Via bluetooth, USB, video jacks, anyway possible.

Any Ideas???

Waze has a Bluetooth setting within the iPhone App you can turn on. This only works on the Waze audio thru Bluetooth or USB.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... No, you can't run an app on the MFT or transfer the info to the screen. :(

I agree. Ive had no luck trying bluetooth or the USB.

And didn't expect apps on MFT.

Ford grants very limited access to the screen. Most access is audio only.

There appears to be a dongle for the Samsung Galaxy4 to HDMI.

Haven't seen a RCA video jack version for the Samsung yet.

I'm looking for any workaround.

I might not get the touch screen to work ......But maybe I can get it on the MFT screen at least.

I have an iPhone 30-pin to Component/USB cable I ought to try.

I used it to play a video on the iPhone to the MFT, maybe it can show an App.

There may be time tomorrow to try it.

Edited by GrySql

I couldn't wait, typical.
I connected my iPhone 4 to the component/USB cable and plugged the red/white/yellow and USB into the FFH Console inputs.
Using the MFT screen I browsed my iPhone, options, video and verified that I could play a Tom & Jerry cartoon, so far so good.
I had video and sound from the MFT, the sound thru the radio speakers.
At this point I stopped the TV show using iPhone controls, backed out of video and selected the Waze App, voila! - it appeared on the MFT screen, clear as a bell.
The MFT screen control buttons overlaid the Waze image and disappeared, I was looking at the same Waze image mirrored from my iPhone 4. At that point I used the iPhone Waze control buttons to navigate to an address I made up, it did the calculations and the images appeared on the MFT screen.

So, yes, you can run an Apple App on the MFT screen, but you need to input the controls from your IPhone.
I'll post pictures soon.

Edited by GrySql

It's a bit complicated but it can be done, there's your proof.

Now we'll have to figure out if this will work with the car on the road.

I did have the car ICE running charging the LVB while I played around.

photo3-1_zps1c9819d8.jpg

photo2-1_zps454d47a1.jpg

photo1-1_zps9fed3168.jpg

Edited by GrySql

It will not work with the car on the road. When the car is taken out of Park the video path is blocked. The audio path is still active. I have used the audio path to connect a portable XM radio to the car after the Sirius complimentary subscription expired.

There is an aftermarket product that claims to allow video while the car is in motion.

What does Waze do? I've heard of it but haven't really ever heard about it. Thanks.

And thanks GrySql for the cool pics & info.

What does Waze do? I've heard of it but haven't really ever heard about it. Thanks.

And thanks GrySql for the cool pics & info.

Think CB radio on sterioids without all the static.

It will not work with the car on the road. When the car is taken out of Park the video path is blocked. The audio path is still active. I have used the audio path to connect a portable XM radio to the car after the Sirius complimentary subscription expired.

There is an aftermarket product that claims to allow video while the car is in motion.

Yes, I remember now, when I used this before it would not play video when out of Park.

I'll hook it up one more time today and double check the App, but don't expect it to work except in Park.

The company that made the video kit for 'on the road' use was http://outofmytouch.com/.

Their website is different now, it's dedicated to finding all the bugs in the MFT system, they claim there are 184 bugs and problems with MFT right now.

They also help you find answers to MFT problems, interesting.

HB, look at Bug #181 here.

Edited by GrySql

Yes, I remember now, when I used this before it would not play video when out of Park.

I'll hook it up one more time today and double check the App, but don't expect it to work except in Park.

The company that made the video kit for 'on the road' use was http://outofmytouch.com/.

Their website is different now, it's dedicated to finding all the bugs in the MFT system, they claim there are 184 bugs and problems with MFT right now.

They also help you find answers to MFT problems, interesting.

HB, look at Bug #181 here.

They probably talked to a lawyer about legality of using a cracker on these and found it safer to just do what they are doing now. :) Imagine the liability if some kids got killed because some dude cracked his MFT so they can watch movies while driving. :) However, to use it for this app, is pretty neat. Now for this I can see the use of the cracker.

Check out this site. :)

Isn't that strange, I bookmarked that website a year ago, now when I click on what I bookmarked I get that other website. Thanks, looks like they still sell the Kit for using the MFT anytime.

• Anyway, I did connect my cables and iPhone today and sure enough, a little window pops up with the message 'video will continue when vehicle is put in Park again'.

I think using Apps with MFT is difficult at best, don't waste your time. Maybe in the future it will work but why would Microsoft allow an Apple App to work easily in the MFT system?

On the plus side of things, I got to finish watching the 20 minute 1956 Tom and Jerry cartoon on the MFT, it was great.

My wife thought it odd that I was sitting in the car with the windows closed and car running, in the garage, laughing - confirming her long growing suspicions that the aging process is getting to me.

She's sure that I'll be hiding my own Easter eggs soon and today's little garage scene didn't help.

Any explanation I might have had would be useless so I finished watching the movie, haha, as she walked away making notes in her pocket notebook.

Alas, the slings and arrows I suffer for the sake of the Forum, sigh.

:)

Edited by GrySql

Check out this site. :)

Its a damn good option. Very nice tech.

But my issue will also be the digital convert to analog RCA signal.

Didnt even consider that it shuts off going forward.

GrySql,

Sorry for keeping you up late nights. They dont make TV the way they used to.

Your info is excellent.

The no driving example proves to me that the Android version will probably have the same issues as the apple with the RCA jacks.

At least you got the image on screen.

Waze saved me again today on a road trip. :thumbsup:

This was a fun exercise and I learned something new.

I've been playing with Waze and it is an interesting App, thanks for introducing us to it.

If only Ford would allow those of us with Driver Assist to use the front facing camera as a dashcam. Not even the Lockpick has that ability. I wouldn't mind not being able to see it in real-time. With GPS/MPH overlays, etc., just plug in a thumb drive and you're good to go. Oh, well.

I saw a review on Motorweek for the newest Mercedes. Holy crap is it a techno hog! Night vision on the dash, its a step away from doing all the driving for you. With the night vision you can see much further away at night than with just normal headlights. Problem with it it is in the dash so you look down at it, but then again, we do it all the time when maximizing FE in our Fusions.

I saw a review on Motorweek for the newest Mercedes. Holy crap is it a techno hog! Night vision on the dash, its a step away from doing all the driving for you. With the night vision you can see much further away at night than with just normal headlights. Problem with it it is in the dash so you look down at it, but then again, we do it all the time when maximizing FE in our Fusions.

Lol this reminds me of when Top Gear talked about this car & Jeremy wanted to test out the night vision so he turned off his headlights while driving to try to drive just with the camera, but then the car told him "night vision camera only available when headlights on". Lol

I used Waze up until the moment Google purchased them. It was pretty good at giving up to the moment crowd sourced traffic and road conditions. It's navigation was not the best though.

But unfortunaly anything related to Google becomes a severe privacy concern (and littered with ads) so I was forced to discontinue its use. I haven't actually missed it though.

And there are a few decent alternatives avaiable as well.

I have been using Waze for a couple of years now and really like it. I find that the navigation portion has gotten better since the Google acquisition but still not quite as good as Google Maps. I really like the warnings it provides about heavy or stopped traffic, accidents, hazards and police reported up ahead in front of me. :shift:

I am using waze and have it displayed on the MFT screen.

I followed with a few searches on new Lockpicks.

Nothing I found definitively includes a 13 -15 Fusion.

What year Fusion do you have and do you have any pix of this up and running?

Would like to hear more.

Controversy about Waze in the news today:

This showed up on my Google News homepage this evening.

I have started using WAZE but don't need the ability to know where law enforcement officers are. I understand their concern and it seems legitimate to me.