hybridbear

Sync Subscription Renewal

I'm sure we've discussed this before but I searched & couldn't find it.

The Sync subscription has to be renewed annually, right? But, what is this subscription for? How do we renew it? Does any sort of notification happen to let us know that it's time to renew it?

Our Sync subscription is for 3 years

Good start.

What do you lose if you do NOT renew it after 3 years ??

Good start.

What do you lose if you do NOT renew it after 3 years ??

If you don't renew it, you lose SYNC.

I believe you can renew it in the car as well.

You don't lose SYNC. VHR for example will still work after the subscription expires. The subscription is for Sync Services. If you've never pushed the button and said "Services", you've never used it.

It's for three years but has to be renewed yearly for some unknown reason. They don't send a notification, log into your Sync account and click on "Personalize Sync Services".

We received a notification that it was time to renew our Sync services on both the MKZh and FFH. Quick and simple task on the sync my ride website. I guess you have to re-register annually so Ford knows who the owner is, and if the car has been sold or not. I'm only guessing here. :)

I poked around the Ford Owner website & could not find how to renew. The Focus Electric was originally leased on 8/14/13 so its subscription will expire soon. I want to make sure we don't lose it.

Where on the website do I need to look? The site is very slow to load.

It's not on the Ford Owner site. It's on the SyncMyRide web site.

http://syncmyride.com/

When I click that link it takes me to support.ford.com which is where I was. Isn't that the same as the Ford Owner site? Didn't they merge them awhile back?

I logged into the syncmyride site as above and it took me to the support.ford site. I logged in and it stated that I needed to renew my complimentary subscription. I did not know I had to do it every year. Mine is now renewed.

Mine does not show that a new update is available. It shows that I currently have 3.6.2. That was an issue before that we worked out with Ashley awhile ago.

Thanks!

I logged into the syncmyride site as above and it took me to the support.ford site. I logged in and it stated that I needed to renew my complimentary subscription. I did not know I had to do it every year. Mine is now renewed.

Mine does not show that a new update is available. It shows that I currently have 3.6.2. That was an issue before that we worked out with Ashley awhile ago.

Thanks!

When was your subscription going to expire? Perhaps because we have 12 days to go it isn't giving me the notification yet. Hopefully Kim will comment on this on Monday.

When was your subscription going to expire? Perhaps because we have 12 days to go it isn't giving me the notification yet. Hopefully Kim will comment on this on Monday.

It was to expire on August 21. Received no notification, just had a note when I logged in. I had the note for a Vehicle Health reort ready for review and the Sync renew.

Hey folks,

These are all awesome questions! I'll do my best to clear things up.

SYNC Services are available to eligible Ford vehicles for $60 per year. If you're interested in purchasing a subscription, you can log in to: www.Support.Ford.com and click PERSONALIZE SYNC SERVICES on the right side of the page. Although you will use the same username and password for both: www.Support.Ford.com and www.Owner.Ford.com you must log in separately to each website. For more information on which features are included in a subscription, check out this link: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync if you have MyFord Touch, check out this one: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync-myford-touch

If your vehicle came with a complimentary 3-year subscription to SYNC Services, you will be asked to renew your subscription once a year. This doesn't cost anything, but it lets us know that you plan on continuing to utilize these features. When it is time to renew your subscription, you will be notified in your Vehicle's To-Do List after logging in to your account at: www.Support.Ford.com You may also receive an audible message in the vehicle asking if you'd like to renew your services.

If you haven't had a chance to check out the SYNC Destinations app, I encourage you to. Keep in mind that it will only allow you to log in if you have an active subscription to SYNC Services: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/destinations-app-sync

I hope this helps! If you want me to check out specific details about your account, send me a PM with your VIN, and mobile number. I'll get right on it! :)

Kim

Well I guess I'm going to have to pull out my owner's manual and look again.

My initial impression is that having built-in NAV pretty much negates the most useful feature of SYNC but maybe I overlooked something.

I use Sync Services to get my morning info on my "favorites" like technology, weather, sports, etc. I have never used the operator assist function where I spoke to a human.

This morning, when I pressed the voice button on my steering wheel and said, "Services", I was told my subscription was about to expire and to go to syncmyride.com to renew.

sync1.jpg

At syncmyride.com, I was provided the option to renew Sync Services for $60 a year.

sync2.jpg

I don't believe it is worth the $60 a year.

Edited by Former Expedition owner

Sync Services is Ford's play in the GM OnStar space. Thankfully, it's not nearly as intrusive, snoopy, or 'mandatory'. OnStar, for the longest time, logged/kept/used the location data harvested from cars so equipped, even if you didn't keep the subscription, with no realistic opt-out. For me, that was a deal-breaker for all cars so equipped.

Personally, it's a 'feature' that I would not pay for, and I resent for being a mandatory bundle. There is way too much corporate surveillance with sloppy to non-existent privacy assurance and disclosures, and without easy ways to disable.

Sync Services works through your cellphone. If you don't tell Sync Services what your cellphone number is, it can't do anything.

I agree it's not worth $60 per year. I let it expire in my 2010 and it will expire next month in my 2013.

Edited by murphy

Sync Services works through your cellphone. If you don't tell Sync Services what your cellphone number is, it can't do anything.

I agree it's not worth $60 per year. I let it expire in my 2010 and it will expire next month in my 2013.

Right - that's why I stated it was less obnoxious than OnStar. Having the car 'hard wired' for mobile connection, particularly having to pay for a device subscription tied to a single carrier - with no ability to choose another - that's a pile of excrement the Sync approach avoids. As this type of 'service' goes, it's decidedly 'meh' - and certainly nothing I'm willing to pay a subscription for.

Now, don't get me started on Sirrius/XM :spend: The big-buck 'features' and 'promoted channels' (e.g. Howard Stern, sports programming, etc) when I can only find less than a dozen or so that are tolerable for more than 5 minutes.