usererror

Real world feedback on 2014 MPG & Winter Driving?

If the HyTi you are considering comes with the goodyear LS2, you can kiss snow traction goodbye. Snow tires are a must in the northern climes when running these tires. Maybe you can wheel and deal on the one you want to have the GY swapped with some Continental Pure Contacts. I heard good things about the snow traction and they are also low rolling resistance tires. Going to get a set myself before the next winter.

Now the drive you describe is similar to the one I have, except I do 45 miles each way, the first half is all hilly rural roads. I can tell you with out a doubt that a 10 mile commute on these roads will not get better than 40 MPG. Even with the full HVB technique I use, getting 40 MPG is very difficult, however, once I get past the rolling hills and can keep a steady speed it gets better, then the city traffic boosts it up to the 47 mark. In city driving I can see mid 50's. On the interstate I have seen anything from 35 MPG to 50 MPG. But on the Rural roads around by me, mainly due to the poor road conditions and the fact none of them are level, getting 40 is rare.

I'm telling you this not to turn you away from the HyTi, but so that you will have some idea of what to expect and not be upset when you can't hit 40 MPG in the car on your daily drive.

The batteries, unless something goes wrong, which is rare, will last as long as the car(unless its a Leaf).

The 2015 no longer offers those tires on any trim. We have those tires and have found that they're excellent in the snow. Your BD also had those tires and you found it was excellent in the snow. Why are you saying something different now?

Wait until they wear down. Remember the BD started out in winter and was gone at 8400 miles. The current car had nearly 10K when winter started, and at 28,700 miles are about ready to be replaced. These tires do not wear well, especially with my driving. I dont granny turn, I rip around corners, sometimes squealing the tires. It's one of those things that needs to be done to get better FE where I live. I also take S curves at 60+, which is why I really LOVE this car, it just handles So well! Downside is, my fun driving eats tires.

Wait until they wear down. Remember the BD started out in winter and was gone at 8400 miles. The current car had nearly 10K when winter started, and at 28,700 miles are about ready to be replaced. These tires do not wear well, especially with my driving. I dont granny turn, I rip around corners, sometimes squealing the tires. It's one of those things that needs to be done to get better FE where I live. I also take S curves at 60+, which is why I really LOVE this car, it just handles So well! Downside is, my fun driving eats tires.

Any tire brand/model performs worse in the snow after the tread wears down. Also, any tire brand/model is going wear poorly under the driving conditions you describe. Hardly seems fair to bad mouth the Goodyear tires under those conditions.

Edited by Texasota

Any tire brand/model performs worse in the snow after the tread wears down. Also, any tire brand/model is going wear poorly under the driving conditions you describe. Hardly seems fair to bad mouth the Goodyear tires under those conditions.

I have driven this way for years, and these are one of the few tires I have had that wore this fast. I have had GY RSA tires with 50K in them that still had decent snow traction. I had Michelins with 70K that had better snow traction.