GrySql

Rental car insurance changes - beware!

I have probably rented a car somewhere between 100-200 times, used to travel a lot... and never got the insurance. Now have a trip next weekend and would be cursed if I read the above from GrySql and opted out again, would hate to be the guy writing "I wish I had taken the advice" :doh:

It is really no different than buying GAP insurance. Consider it cheap POM. I was SO frigging glad I paid $600 for the GAP, it saved me from an $8000 balance due after the Flex was totaled. Sure there is cheaper GAP insurance, if you shop around after you buy, but doing it time of sale is a matter of convenience too.

Thanks for the heads up on this GS, had no idea of these changes, and we have a Camper on rental this weekend, will make sure to get the coverage too.

Secondly, if you incur damage to the rental car and have bought the CDW, you owe nothing

This reminded me of the below clip - the part about opting for insurance is at the 2:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM

Edited by jeff_h

IOW the days of abusing a rental are coming to an end? You break it you bought it is where it's heading.

Change it up a bit though, Usually a rental is done away from home, in unfamiliar territory, your chances of having a crash go up due to your not knowing where you are, on roads you never drove on, in traffic that can be worse than what you are used to, Your odds increase under these conditions though. If renting like GrySql, then you are right. Like anything else in life, its a risk you have to take, so the choice really is up to the renter, take a chance that nothing will happen while the car is in your possession, or spend a little bit for"insurance" in case it does.

In the 30 years I have been driving I have had a couple minor benders, due to my inexperience behind the wheel, those were 25 years ago, so I never expected to total out my Flex, yet one day the weather turned nasty and I did. Had I not purchased GAP insurance I would be $8k in the hole right now and out of a vehicle. I took a chance on buying the extra insurance and it paid off, I also have it on my Fusion, so if nothing happens and the car survives until the last payment, did I waste that money for GAP? Maybe, maybe not, its all in how you roll the dice.

Also as others have pointed out, you may not even be near the car and it gets damaged, but you are still liable for it, even though you weren't driving it, or even inside it at the time. It really comes down to Risk Assessment, that is what you have to decide on, do you take the risk of not getting the extra coverage or not. The information presented here is to help you decide, so you know that if something happens and you decline the insurance, you could be on the hook for some out of pocket expenses that your insurance will not cover. So it's up to you. If you do rent a car, something happens, you declined their coverage and later get a large bill, don't come back here, because someone here will say, I told you so. :)