Sign in to follow this  
Texasota

Removing the hybrid emblem

I am personally very proud to be driving a hybrid car, and I want to advertise it to others in the hopes that they too will want to get a hybrid, especially now that hybrids can be so sharp-looking, which the FFHs are.

In fact, I even embellished my "HYBRID" emblems on the doors by adding the same "SE" emblem that is on the trunk lid below each "HYBRID" emblem on the doors, because I am also proud that I have the SE version, which even though I know originally probably stood for something else, but I like to think it stands for "Sport Edition".

Having the extra chrome from the "SE" emblem by the "HYBRID" emblem also makes it stand out even more. :)

"SE" Emblem added below each "Hybrid" Emblem

Edited by Hybrider

I believe that the HVB is automatically isolated by the car in the event of a crash to protect first responders. Once the vehicle is removed from the crash site the dealer or wrecking yard is responsible for following proper procedure for storing the HVB. The issue with the Volt was that someone was not following the proper procedure outlined by GM to prevent fires.

Then again if there are no emblems on the outside and the hood or trunk isn't opened, then no one would know it's a hybrid. My only concern would be if the pack did get damaged in some way and no one knew it was a hybrid until they started to work on it, that the car could be indoors when the pack gives up the ghost. That's my only concern. Sometimes a body shop could have an opening right away and have the car dropped off inside.

Pretty soon the HYBRID badges will go the way of the dodo just like the "Fuel Injection", "ABS Brakes", "Traction Control", "V6", V8, etc. badging. :)

It would appear the MKZ is an example of this already happening. I was not aware that it has no hybrid specific badging until the posts in this thread.

The Prius is designed to be noticed, the Camry/Avalon/Honda/Fusion and others are all the same car as the gas models and hard to spot as hybrids.

Actually, the Prius is so UGLY it can't help but be noticed! ;)

You can tell the Fusion engine type easily from behind:
  • If the right side of trunk says nothing then it's an S model with the 2.5L 4 cyl

With the exception of rebels that remove the hybrid emblem.

Frankly, the 2.0EB's performance is disappointing, I floored it a few times to get up to speed on the freeway and it was not awe inspiring at all.This rental is just another car with a 4 cylinder engine struggling to get 30 mpg's.

That is exactly what Consumer Reports had to say about the Ecoboost engines in the Fusion. Their test data showed that the Ecoboost engines are slower and thirstier than the normally aspirated engines from Honda and Nissan.

I successfully removed the hybrid emblems today and I was surprised how easily they came off. After applying only a little bit of heat from the wife's hair dryer the dental floss cut through the adhesive like it was butter. Even before heating I could wiggle the plastic lettering quite easily. Perhaps that is related to the car being new and the adhesive may not have been fully cured.

Now that my "Fusion S Hybrid" has the same emblems as the gas "Fusion S" I'm curious if there are other visible external differences that would distinguish the hybrid from the gas Fusion. Anyone know?

Comparing the pictures on the Ford website, it looks like the only way to distinguish a Fusion Hybrid S from the Fusion S are the badges and wheels. There are more differences between the S and the SE/Titanium than there are between the Hybrid and Non-Hybrid models.

I'm proud of my hybrid emblem on my 2010. If it wasn't there, I would try to add one. It's unobtrusive. If you live in areas where you think it would be vandalized because it's a hybrid, that's sad. Comparing vandalizing a Hummer to vandalizing a Ford Hybrid is an apples/oranges comparison.

If you have bought a hybrid, like it or not, you are seen as probably making a political statement about anthropological global warming. Actually, the economic numbers show you are smarter for choosing a car that will be cheaper to run after only a few years. If you factor the average 14 year life of vehicles, it almost completely pays for itself.

I'm really tired of people saying the Prius is "ugly". The Prius is designed to have the lowest drag co-efficient, Cd, of a production car and they hit the bulls-eye. Look at all the other cars. They are all slowly approaching the aerodynamic shape Prius has had for 5 years with the Gen III alone. At highway speeds, air drag is half the load.

The County is just finishing resurfacing a 55 mph 4 lane divided highway whose surface had become very noisy due to erosion of the surface The other day one lane had been resurfaced with a very smooth quiet surface and the other had not. The difference in lane mpg was 4, in keeping with other observations. The noisy one was 46 and the quiet, 50. This is one of the many small effects on mileage.

Edited by lolder

The gas S has different side view mirrors (no turn signals) and different lower body mouldings. I'm not sure about the FFH S, that's why I keep asking for pictures.

I'll try to get some pictures posted soon (it has been raining a lot the last few days). Yes, the FFH S has different side view mirrors and the lower half of the side view mirror is black as are the rocker panels. I think the FFH S looks nearly identical to a gas Fusion S with the exception of the wheels which was mentioned earlier.

I'm proud of my hybrid emblem on my 2010. If it wasn't there, I would try to add one. It's unobtrusive. If you live in areas where you think it would be vandalized because it's a hybrid, that's sad. Comparing vandalizing a Hummer to vandalizing a Ford Hybrid is an apples/oranges comparison.

If you have bought a hybrid, like it or not, you are seen as probably making a political statement about anthropological global warming. Actually, the economic numbers show you are smarter for choosing a car that will be cheaper to run after only a few years.

As I indicated in my opening post I mean no offense nor do I think any less of anyone that likes the hybrid emblems. I simply prefer that my car make as little statement as possible. For the same reasons I requested that my dealer not apply their dealership decal.

You zeroed in on my main reason for purchasing a FFH. For me it is mainly an economic issue in addition to the very impressive technology that is incorporated in this car.

Edited by Texasota

Here are some photos of my 2015 Fusion S Hybrid. The only exterior modifications I have made is the removal of the hybrid emblems and I had the dearership install splash guards.

post-12107-0-99863700-1409435636_thumb.jpg post-12107-0-52222000-1409435707_thumb.jpg

post-12107-0-14891900-1409435754_thumb.jpg post-12107-0-92150200-1409435784_thumb.jpg

No fog lights and no chrome trim on lower grill

I think fog lights are optional on the SE (requires either the Appearance Package or the Luxury Package) and standard on the Titanium. I had not previously noticed the absence of chrome trim on the lower grill.

The only difference of the FFH S compared to the Fusion S is:

• FFH S has the special hybrid 17-inch rims instead of the 15-inch steel wheels with wheel covers that come on the gas Fusion S

The 2013 and 2014 gas Fusion S came with 16-inch steel wheels with wheel covers, and the 2015 gas Fusion S comes with 16-inch "Alloy" wheels.

Here are some photos of my 2015 Fusion S Hybrid. The only exterior modifications I have made is the removal of the hybrid emblems and I had the dearership install splash guards.

I'm wondering why you didn't remove the "Fusion" symbol too, and then people just might think it is a Ford Aston Martin. j/k :skateboard: