Sign in to follow this  
Texasota

Removing the hybrid emblem

The FFH does not scream hybrid like the Prius does. The FFH looks almost identical to a gas Fusion and that is one of many things that I like about it. I have been toying with the idea of removing the hybrid emblems when the 2015 I have on order is delivered for the following reasons:

1. I personally have no desire to make any kind of a statement about driving a car that is a hybrid. I mean no offense or think no less of anyone that wants to advertise that their car is a hybrid. Just not something that personally appeals to me.
  2. Hybrids have been singled out for vandalism and various kinds of targeting (e.g. the recent fad of "rolling coal").
  3. I personally like the clean look of the FFH with the emblems removed.
  4. It seems excessive to me to have a large hybrid emblem on the left side, the right side, and the rear trunk lid.
  5. This is a nit - but the emblems are a pain when washing/waxing the car.

I have previously searched this forum regarding this subject and I found one thread where it was mentioned that the hybrid emblems do represent a warning notice for first responders in the event of an accident. How crucial is that? Is it illegal to remove the hybrid emblems?

I am interested to here your thoughts and comments on this subject. Note that the process to remove the emblems is well documented and fairly easy to do so I hope to avoid that discussion.

Edited by Texasota

If it makes you happy then remove them . Personally I never modify any stock appearance items of my vehicles. As far as vandalism and rolling coal go you will always have a criminal element in any society. You ever watch the movie Idiocracy?

The first responder thing is what I'm concerned about. I was going to remove mine, but the first responder thing is the only thing holding me back, I don't want fire fighters getting chocked as they use the jaws of live to cut me out of a mangled car....

Why not just ask a few emergency responders in your area to see if they think the emblems are critical to their mission.

Thanks. Your post reminded me that a fire fighter lives in my neighborhood. I send him an e-mail about this issue. I'll let you know what his take is when he responds.

But don't you think it will be dead give away, even without the emblems, when you pull away from a stop light and they can't hear an engine running?

I get that from folks when I pull out of a parking spot. They stop me and tell me my engine is not running. Even had a guy tell me my car must have stalled because he couldn't hear it running as I pulled up to a stoplight.

Valid point. But, I suspect the vandalism risks are greater when the car is parked in a public parking lot such as a shopping mall. At least that is how I was thinking about it.

... I suspect the vandalism risks are greater when the car is parked in a public parking lot such as a shopping mall. At least that is how I was thinking about it.

Unfortunately, there are many :censored: out there that will vandalize a nice car no matter what badges are on it.

The jaws of live aren't an issue since HV cables are located as far away from any potential cut point as possible.

You can download the first responder cards from etis.ford.com site it shows all possible and save to cut locations. The locations of the high strength steel is very critical to know.

Thanks! I appreciate getting informed on this, helps A ton!

Unfortunately, there are many :censored: out there that will vandalize a nice car no matter what badges are on it.

Exactly, there were several reports of Hummers being burned on the streets a few years ago.

Unfortunately there is no escaping this eventuality.

Texasota, you must live in or travel to bad areas. Out of all the folks I know with hybrids, well over 25 people, none have had their cars vandalized.

Where I live it is not bad. But over the course of my years as a car owner I have exerienced a couple vandalism incidents which is enough to make me always wary. I'm the guy that looks for a corner parking spot, or parks far out in the parking lot, or looks for a nice new car to park next to. I never park next to a beater.

Where I live it is not bad. But over the course of my years as a car owner I have exerienced a couple vandalism incidents which is enough to make me always wary. I'm the guy that looks for a corner parking spot, or parks far out in the parking lot, or looks for a nice new car to park next to. I never park next to a beater.

I have security cameras watching my vehicles parked on the street and in those vehicles my dash cams are running in park mode capturing street level HD video for up to 8 hours. Just this week my neighbors teenagers vehicles were toilet papered by other teens in the middle of the night. I captured this whole incident on HD video and the neighbors offered the pranking teens a deal, clean up the mess or the PD will be contacted. The mess was promptly cleaned up.

Without bsdges, how will you get to park in the high efficiency spots or drive in the HOV lanes with only one person?

Those considerations are not something I was even aware of. They are not issues where I live but they probably would be when traveling. I will have a lot to learn as a first time hybrid owner.

Why not just ask a few emergency responders in your area to see if they think the emblems are critical to their mission.

I heard back from my fire fighter neighbor. He said that he has had training on hybrid cars and they were instructed to look for the emblem before cutting into a car. But he also went on to say that he did not think it was a big deal if a hybrid owner wanted to remove them.

IIRC member kuzzi as a first responder said that their policy now has become to approach every vehicle like its a hybrid. MKZh is a good example that first responders can't count on hybrid badges because 2.0H could mean anything - we know what it means.

CC, are you saying that the MKZ hybrid has no hybrid emblems? I looked at several MKZ hybrid images and I can't see any emblems on the left or right sides of the car but could not tell for sure on the rear view. If this is true, then I think I am now far less concerned about removing them from my FFH.

CC, are you saying that the MKZ hybrid has no hybrid emblems? I looked at several MKZ hybrid images and I can't see any emblems on the left or right sides of the car but could not tell for sure on the rear view. If this is true, then I think I am now far less concerned about removing them from my FFH.

Correct. The MKZ has no HYBRID emblems on the sides or the trunk like the FFH. The only clue it is a hybrid is the 2.0H emblem on the trunk. I've had people say "Wow! You have a 2.0 Hemi in that?" Um... no, it's a hybrid. :)

My only concern is if in a crash, and the first responders don't recognize it as a Hybrid, and they extract you from the car without disconnecting the HVB, that later on if the HVB or some connected component somehow was damaged in the crash, that the car would become a Volt and burst into flames after sitting for a while. The NiMh packs in the earlier cars weren't an issue, they would deplete and that would be the end of them, but the Lion packs in these new ones, if they discharge beyond a certain voltage, they could overheat. If not, and they depleted, the pack is done, no recovering them if they go dead. I am not too concerned about shock since the cables run under the car in the middle and would not be in any location that would be cut, unless the car was on its side or roof. Even then they are well hidden and I doubt that they would be cutting through the floor. In a crash, the relays kick out do if the safety relays work, there would be no voltage in them either.