Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Saved by a lazy salesman

Yesterday morning my wife an I were talking about my planes, and traveling and such and I happened to catch a pickup truck with a cap on it, and the sticker said 13K and change. I was like, That would work for my RC trips, instead of towing a trailer around all the time with the T.

So I get to work and go online looking for used cars in the area I saw it, and could not find it, but happened upon a 2002 F150 Supercrew with a cap for $7900. It has 181K on it, but looked to be in pretty good shape and looking at KBB and NADA guide, the price was well below retail. I eventually found that truck I caught out of the corner of my eye, it was not a $13K truck, it was a 32K truck, the $ sign looked like a 1 at a glance.

Anyway the F150 was right on our way home so I stopped to look it over. It has some rust on it, but overall the body was nice, no dings dents or scratches, tires were decent, interior was clean from what I could see. We were out there 10 minutes, no sales man came out to see if we were interested, so we left. The truck would have needed some body work, especially in the bed as the seam between the floor and wheel well was rusted pretty good and would not last long. Tailgate, fender, doors and the rear lower corner of the cab was rusted, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. On the way home my wife was saying, it would do what we need, but we dont need any more projects, and knowing me it would be at the body shop getting the rust removed and new pieces welded in, which would be done by me.

She was right, I would spend time on it that I could spend elsewhere working on it as I love doing that kind of work. So by the salesman not coming out, he saved me from that. :)

Reason I even gave it thought is that after towing my new trailer with at least 3000# of material in it, the MKT handles it well, but the trans seemed to be struggling. The shifts were very long, and it didn't want to shift up when I lifted my foot a bit. I am only concerned that pulling the trailer all the time would cause transmission problems in the MKT, and would rather have a beater for that kind of thing, one that if the trans did go out I can repair it myself, or if it had an engine issue. It could also be used for anything that wont fit in the MKT instead of pulling the trailer, and I would like to keep the T nice and clean and undamaged. My RC planes can be a bit messy and one runs on gas, so I carry a jug of gas with which can stink up the T pretty bad on a hot day.

The price on it is good for what it is, but I really dont need it at this time.

A $7900 truck may be a cheap truck, but it still costs as much as two new transmission in the MKT.

Thats true, but it is a lot easier to finance a truck than a replacement transmission :) It was a moment of Hmm what if that has since passed. I still have 28K miles of warranty left on it anyway.