Jamone

Bumper to bumper warranty ending soon, anything I should get done before it ends?

I took my 2010 FFH in for service just before selling it, to get a new battery/O2 sensor/engine belt, and the service guy said that there were two software updates that had never been applied to the car and wanted to know if I wanted them done, said they would charge $100 labor each to do them. At that point the car had 145k miles and still ran great, so I saw no need to spend an extra $200 on the updates. So while service departments at various dealers may handle things differently, based on my experience they sure were not willing to provide the software updates for free. I tend to think the same about TSBs but don't have any past experience on that one.

TSBs and software updates are not free after warranty, unless part of a RECALL. Recalls are free for the life of the car, not the owner. :)

If you are on good terms with your service guys, they MAY do a software update for free. One of the techs at my Ford dealer updated the PCM on my Mustang for free after I upgraded my wheels and tires.

I agree that there are potential problems that you wouldn't realize was an issue were you not informed of the TSB or SSM message. Take for example the thread about the chimes (http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9051-ssm-chimes-reprogram/). We have definitely experienced this. Were it not for this posting I would never have realized the issue or that there was a fix. I'd heard something wrong but couldn't put my finger on it till reading that post.

I agree that there are stealth TSBs out there. For instance, I had a musty odor from my AC vents. Apparently, that's covered by a TSB! The same with the TSB covering a possible transmission leak. I had my engine oil changed at the dealership, but are they necessarily going to check for a transmission leak?! And if I don't change the oil, how would I ever know unless I brought it in for a check?

That update does the trick, I can turn the AC off now when in auto mode. Doesn't do jack for defrost though, so you get COLD air out the defrost when you dont really need or want it, just some air moving up the window to keep it from fogging. Instead, you get water on the outside of the windshield from the cold air. DOH.

Now if they can come up with a fix for the funky film on the inside of the windshield! Has anyone had success in removing it completely? Seems I clean it and 2 weeks later its back.

How did you request/describe the the A/C FCIM re-programing to the service advisor? I tried to do this yesterday and got the deer in the headlights look.

I told them when I have the auto on, and have the power display on, when I press the AC button the light goes off, but you can still see the compressor drawing power. I could also hear the compressor still going. That was all he needed. It also helps that they know that I know a lot about these cars, and that when I describe something fixable, they look into it. Well they did and had it updated.

They didn't put much on it, just said updated software, no codes or anything to note a TSB or something. If I remember I will ask them when I pick up my T tonight.

My dealer is the same way, I explained the AC doesn't actually shut off when the button is pressed, told him how I know this, and they found the SSM for the FCIM and applied the update even though it wasn't specific to the "problem".

What I like about my dealer is they work "with" the customer, not against them. There is a used 2005 Freestyle they have, I need a beater mobile that if I spill fuel, or oil, or smudge it or dent it, that I dont care. I can also drive into Chitcago and not worry if some bozo bangs into it. (I wont be happy about it, but at least its not my "new" cars). Overall the price on the car is right, I did some research determined that the car's value is roughly $4600 in my area, they were asking $5100, and I said I would be comfortable at $4600, no problem. I test drove the car, found 3 issues, wanted them checked out first before I signed, and they took care of all 3, no questions, no hesitation. Thats good customer relations both in sales and service. They have been in business here since 2003 when they took it over from the previous owners, and do a very good business, they are always busy. Other than the bad MPG issue with the BD, (even then they felt I was right), anytime I have a problem it gets looked at and fixed.

It is too bad not all dealerships follow the same path to great customer service. Granted, no free breakfast like some guys here get! :)