Sign in to follow this  
darrelld

Dashcam Videos of Bad ICE Drivers

Making a lane change into someone else's blind spot is more reckless than what I see the pickup doing, though it doesn't appear the pickup used a turn signal.

The truck gave no signal of lane change intent and proceeded to go about 20 mph over the speed limit and disappear through a red light. Had I gotten the plate number Allen PD would have been notified.

Edited by darrelld

Pickup driver having difficulty seeing sign.

Edited by darrelld

Unfortunately I have witnessed what negligent drivers can do to other unsuspecting motorists. A coworker of mine was fatally injured because a dump truck driver ran a red light and T-Boned her Chevy Cavalier. She suffered traumatic brain injury and went through months of multiple surgeries and rehabilitation. She managed to make it back to work in a wheel chair to say hi to everyone. She ended up getting an infection from one of the surgeries that finally proved fatal. The dump truck driver was merely ticketed for failure to yield. I always wondered if this driver would have gotten off so easy if someone had documented past incidences of red light running.

I held a CDL for a number of years and driven everything from US Army fuel trucks to 18 wheelers hauling the family farm products to market. i am well acquainted with visibility limitations of large vehicles which good drivers can overcome by properly adjusting mirrors and simply paying attention to traffic situations.

These tragedies happen too often and society usually pays the bills. My coworkers medical bills were outrageous and she left small children without their mother.

I know drivers from Oklahoma can't read speed limit signs, at least when they drive into my part of Texas. I guess 75 mph isn't fast enough for them. The Texas Highway Patrol loves to hang out and catch these idiots! :)

For example, they did tests where they took a stop sign but changed the word to say something other than stop, very few drivers noticed the change. They're done the same thing with yield signs. Other studies have shown that the signs that we pay the most attention to when driving are speed limit signs. The rest just get glossed over by our brains.

That seems like a silly test to me. Stop and yield signs are a specific shape,size, and color so that we don't have to read the lettering but still know what to do.

White rectangular signs and yellow diamonds I need to read; but red octagons, not so much.

That was the whole point. Driving is a very complicated task, moving at speeds much faster than the body can accomplish on its own. Thus, our brain puts some tasks on "auto-pilot" to focus attention on others. When driving we see what we expect to see. Part of why so many ppl run into stopped emergency vehicles on the shoulder is because when someone sees a vehicle with flashing lights facing the same way they are the brain assumes that the emergency vehicle is moving faster than the rest of traffic. Since ppl don't expect to see a stopped emergency vehicle they don't see it and they hit it. Experiments have found that if the police were to park their cars at an angle on the shoulder then almost no one would hit them because the brain would be forced out of "auto-pilot" and would have to process the situation. The same thing is true of accidents. Many accidents happen because someone did something we don't expect. Or because someone looked but didn't see any traffic so they pulled out. Because our brain knows that stop & yield signs are a specific size, shape & color it processes them on auto-pilot without actually seeing the sign.

The lady that hit my wifes C-Max gave a similar story. The Toyota that ran upon the median distracted her to the point on colliding with the C-Max. My wife when looking at the same situation slowed to a stop and only hit the vehicle in front of her after the lady behind her pushed the C-Max forward from the impact. Pre-Collision warning may have helped the ladies attention focus back to the stopped C-Max.

Edited by darrelld

You were driving really fast for passing stopped cars. I never drive that fast by a line of stopped cars because you never know when someone may pull out.

That was my first thought, too, and that was before I got to your post. That's the kind of stuff you have to be on the lookout for. It looked like the PT driver might have been trying to get around a vehicle that had broken down. Edited by md13ffhguy