Sign in to follow this  
hybridbear

Trunk Squeak

I'm surprised that we haven't heard a lot more complaints about this. I mentioned a few times about the annoying trunk squeak we had with our black FFH. The white FFH developed the same squeak in less than 3000 miles of use. It's quite embarrassing when friends/family ask about why our almost new car makes such a horrible squeaking sound when opening/closing the trunk.

Both cars don't have the spoiler and the different torsion bars that come on spoiler equipped FFHs.

The squeak happens as the trunk goes up or down. It is more pronounced on one side, but both sides squeak.

The dealership supposedly attempted to fix the squeak on the black car but never did. Since they never actually closed out the repair ticket and gave me any paperwork I have no idea what they would have done to fix it. Speaking of, it's been 9 months now and they've never called me to tell me that the parts have arrived. When we traded the black car in we had a handful of trim pieces and a new trunk lid/bars on order to fix lingering issues and the squeak. I wonder what the dealer did with those parts...

Has anyone else experienced the squeak?

Verify that there is a rubber sleeve on one of the torsion bars and it is centered. Its purpose is to keep the bars from touching each other.

Verify that there is a rubber sleeve on one of the torsion bars and it is centered. Its purpose is to keep the bars from touching each other.

I'm not quite sure I follow what rubber sleeve and where it should be...

Since we don't have the spoiler we have a different set up than the Titaniums with the spoiler. I don't think I've ever seen a pic of what the trunk setup looks like of the cars with the spoiler but I will try to post a pic of our trunk setup tonight.

Edited by hybridbear

I had to go look... :detective:

I'll be darned, my hinges are just starting to squeak, the rubber torsion bar chafing sleeve is in place.

I tried to make the torsion bars squeak but the sound is definitely coming from the sides.

The squeaking appears to be coming from the hinges that pivot the hinge bars up inside the trunk and attach to the Uni-body, all hidden by the trunk liner.

I'd guess the trunk liner needs to be removed and lubricant or grease applied to that those two rotating hinges, one on each side of the car.

I had to go look... :detective:

I'll be darned, my hinges are just starting to squeak, the rubber torsion bar chafing sleeve is in place.

I tried to make the torsion bars squeak but the sound is definitely coming from the sides.

The squeaking appears to be coming from the hinges that pivot the hinge bars up inside the trunk and attach to the Uni-body, all hidden by the trunk liner.

I'd guess the trunk liner needs to be removed and lubricant or grease applied to that those two rotating hinges, one on each side of the car.

Your explanation triggered my memory. Greasing the mechanism is exactly what was supposedly done in the past which did not solve the noise. The the next up the dealer was going to try was replacing the whole thing.

Here are some pictures:

C95DE912-B43E-4127-9638-C821BD1C90A4_zps

38965AD6-4281-4D28-997D-3519517DD768_zps

The noise comes from the area where the torsion bar goes behind the cover in the trunk when opening and closing.

The noise comes from the area where the torsion bar goes behind the cover in the trunk when opening and closing.

Right, but without removing all that trunk lining one cannot see the area where the squeaks are coming from.

Did the Dealer who attempted the squeak repair have a trustworthy Service Dept?

I haven't been to my Dealer in almost a year, knock on wood.

However, I'm still waiting for the Climate Control Housing Lottery to spew out a part to fix my A/C, I'll have them look at this too, and do the A/C TSB that Waldo showed us.

The white rectangular bar in your picture is not the torsion bar. The torsion bars are horizontal underneath the deck and are about 1/4" in diameter and run the whole way across the car.

The white rectangular bar in your picture is not the torsion bar. The torsion bars are horizontal underneath the deck and are about 1/4" in diameter and run the whole way across the car.

Yes, my torsion bars are not making these minor squeaks, the noise is coming from higher up and at each side of the car when the trunk lid is moved up and down.

(My torsion bar sleeve is painted white so it's hard to see.)

My Jack is also zip-tied to the speaker tray, no noise from that either.

bccbdd7f-a17e-4d7b-afd8-5a2e0567e480_zps

Right, but without removing all that trunk lining one cannot see the area where the squeaks are coming from.

Did the Dealer who attempted the squeak repair have a trustworthy Service Dept?

Trustworthy Service Dept is an oxymoron in my book. As I said in the first post, their service dept is a joke. I have been to 5 dealers in the Twin Cities area & have had poor experiences at every one. I'm not sure where to go now.

Us early adopters suffer....

I'm just gonna put my cat in the trunk, it'll find that squeek.

animated-smileys-animals-057.gif

13 months, 27500 miles and no squeak, then again the trunk is opened nearly every day, so maybe lack of use causes it?

13 months, 27500 miles and no squeak, then again the trunk is opened nearly every day, so maybe lack of use causes it?

But you have a spoiler on your HyTi, right?

We use our trunk many times per day. If anything I think that it is a lot of use that causes the issue.

We use our trunk many times per day. If anything I think that it is a lot of use that causes the issue.

+1 on opening it a lot.

Or maybe I wash it too much, ya think?

A squeak!!!!! O M G !!! Time to trade it in on an MKZh!!! ;)

Actually, as much as I iove this FFH, every time I see a MKZh on the road I wish I'd bought one instead. Next time I will. :)

I'd like to have one for myself. I asked my wife about trading cars for a while....that didn't go so well.

Actually, as much as I iove this FFH, every time I see a MKZh on the road I wish I'd bought one instead. Next time I will. :)

Same here, the Z is one sharp looking car, I like how it looks from the grill to the tail. Had the Fusion been totaled instead of the Flex, we would have a Zh for sure.

This was on my list I gave my Dealer last Monday, they looked at it after everything else was done and "could not replicate customer complaint"

Oh well, no joy on that fix. It's not a very loud squeak but if it gets worse I'll have them look at it again.

This was on my list I gave my Dealer last Monday, they looked at it after everything else was done and "could not replicate customer complaint"

Oh well, no joy on that fix. It's not a very loud squeak but if it gets worse I'll have them look at it again.

When I was at the dealer on Friday to help them validate my concerns they did tell me that they fixed the trunk squeak. I asked them what needed to be done & they said "hinge lube". We'll see how long it lasts. I fear that this will not be a permanent fix. Although, I'm not sure there is a permanent fix.

I'm guessing this is not the squeak I'm hearing from the trunk, but I wanted to see if others heard this noise. When opening the trunk, there is an area of the bumper that would otherwise be covered by the trunk being closed. If I press up and down on that area of the bumper (more towards the ends and not the center) I hear a type of squeaking noise. Upon listening closely I've found that the squeaking noise is the bumper and the quarter panel rubbing together right where they meet under the wrap around part of the brake light. Hopefully I explained this well enough but i fear I did a terrible job it haha.

Edited by Riggo

I'd have that MOLD looked at soon. If you let it get too far along, you will never get rid of it! ;)