12.7 V is the voltage of a fully charged battery. While charging it will be between about 13.6 to 14.2. Those are the voltages you will see at the "12 v" plug. Some bulbs for flashlights are 12 v but those for cars are rated at 13.8 sometimes. There is only one low voltage source so it can be anywhere between 12- and 14.4.

Edited by lolder

Hi all,

So I was wondering why every LED bulb I put into my parking lamps just over heated and burned out within a few weeks... Should the 12v ports and what seems like the whole car be at 14.2v? Sounds like the way they charge the 12v battery is just to send 14v through the whole system...

Is this right? IIRC my old car was 12.7v through all the ports.

I have the same plug in tester. Mine read between 14.5 and 14.7 volts. Seems high to me and I like to see it lower to about 14 volts, but I never had any overvoltage trouble codes. The service manual states the battery voltage should be between 13 and 15.5 volts, depending on load. If not, a "check charging system" message will come on.

I also have led bulbs in my foglamps that I use as drl's. I did not know if they were quality bulbs and I didn't expect them to last, but they still work after 5 months. They are supposed to have Samsung chips.

I have seen my friends license plate and dome light led bulbs short out causing fuses to blow and just plain stop working for no reason after about a month. This was on a Ford pickup truck.

Maybe the quality of some of the led bulbs out there are questionable...

Edited by billford

Every car I ever worked on ran at 13.8 volts at the alternator. That is what the voltage regulator was set at, however the new breed of no alternator cars with DC-DC charging ups the voltage, so what may work fine in a normal car will pop in the Hybrid.

Tell that to the guy whose LED's keep popping from over voltage. There are some things that will pop if more than a certain voltage is applied and never designed to be used in an automotive application such as LED's. Those designed to work on a car have voltage regulators built in to drop the voltage from as high as 16 volts down to the required 5 volts.