MaineFusion

Owners of diesel pickups modifying them to blow black smoke at hybrid drivers

From the cutting off nose to spite face department comes the ultimate in blowing smoke. It boils down to some owners of diesel pickups modifying them to blow black smoke on demand by means of dumping extra fuel into the engine. They then target drivers of hybrids with the smoke as a political statement against efforts to fight climate change via reducing CO2 emissions. Of course we're laughing all the way to the bank with the money we're not spending on fuel, while they cry about how much fuel costs when they fill up at the pump.

http://www.businessinsider.com/conservatives-purposely-making-cars-spew-black-smoke-2014-7?google_editors_picks=true

I intentionally avoided the rhetoric of conservative vs liberal used in the article, because it unfairly stereotypes all drivers of hybrids as tree hugging liberals and conservatives as highway trolls who are bent on being obnoxious to make a political point. I personally found the article interesting not for the politics but because of how obnoxious some people can be.

I have not experienced this issue my self and I doubt FFH drivers in general will experience this. The FFH doesn't shout "hey I'm a hybrid" like the Prius and the FFH isn't a "foreign rice burner" as these trolls call "foreign" made cars thus we won't attract their attention (never mind most of these foreign jobs are made in the U.S. and our "domestic" FFH is actually made in Mexico).

I just experienced this black smoke thing last week, among many other instances of rednecks in pickups stomping the gas... I'm free to spend my money on a vehicle that burns very little gas, and they are free to spend their money on far more gas - enjoy, Cletus.

They are free to burn their money supporting the dinosaur recycling industry if they so choose. I suspect, however, that if they blow smoke at the wrong time and it is seen by a patrol officer in need of filling a monthly quota they'd be getting a quick citation for emissions. I could also see them being held criminally liable if in the process of blowing smoke they create a road hazard that causes an accident.

Another reason I doubt I'll see the black smoke thing is that we just don't have the same redneck density as parts of Virginia.

jeff_h: couple of stereotypes there. I own a FFH and a 4WD pickup, which comes in handy during Colorado winters.

It's not the owning of one, for many things they are very useful and fun too - it's the behavior of the stomping on the gas when around a gas-sipper.

it's the behavior of the stomping on the gas when around a gas-sipper.

I had to stomp on the gas with my FFH the other day to get into traffic. I had no idea that their acceleration from zero to 25 was so good. I wasn't expecting it and it threw me back in my seat and my foot came up from the gas pedal. None of my ICE cars ever came off a stop like that.

Texas has strict rules against modifying emissions equipment and I have not been able to get a good video of someone doing this to report them to the state with a supporting dashcam video. When I do get good video the state will be notified. I did have one truck do this to me once and in the process of my manuvering as close behind as possible to get the video he must have spotted the dashcam because there was no further attempt. I reviewed the video but the angle wasn't good enough and I really want to get a close in image. All you need to do is switch your AC to recycle and you will not notice the particulate smell.

You can also report such violators in Texas to the DPS;

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/SmokingVehicle.htm

Report Smoking Vehicles

http://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/mobilesource/vetech/tampering.html

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation. Buyers are advised to have the vehicle checked for all required emission control devices prior to purchasing a new or used vehicle.

A vehicle may not be legally sold if its original engine has been replaced with another certified engine but without the related emission control components. Tampering includes the failure to install the emission controls associated with an engine configuration.

Edited by darrelld

Guilty, somewhat, of smoking, though it was not against Hybrids, it was against Ricers with their fart cans and boom boom crap radio. I had a 99 F350 Dually Diesel with 80 HP tune, and 5" cab back exhaust. When stomped from a dead stop it will pour out the smoke. Nothing irks me more than some moron with a fart can playing crap that shakes my car. Especially when accompanied by BUZZZZZ. Gives them a good healthy dose of Shut the F** up! It would also leave their farting car way behind, not one of them could ever get past me at a light.

That one is long gone though, but I have had the occasional Bubba in his pickup ride my tail, my comment to them, Go ahead pass, the gas you use can get me to work. For me driving a Hybrid has nothing to do with the environment, just my wallet. 500 miles a week adds up pretty fast and gets pretty expensive driving a 20 MPG gas guzzler.

Don't diesel trucks spew out black smoke just from stepping on the gas hard? They don't need modifications to do this do they?

Yes they do, somewhat -- but with the additional kit I guess it really makes for a nice show of 'up yours'... makes me think of the old familiar phrase "can't we all just get along?" - I guess not.

black_smoke_truck_zps56592ee9.jpg

I remember seeing a photo of a pickup with dual stacks and on the window it said Prius repellent and arrows pointing at the stacks.

In a stock setup it is very hard to lay down smoke, but with a tune, it can be quite easy to smoke up the yard. On a flip chip tuner you can dial up what is called a smoke tune which basically does what Jeff shows in that picture. The F350 I had used to have a Cat on it until it clogged, then I removed it along with the entire exhaust system, removed the catalyst label and replaced it with non catalyst label and the proper PCM that didn't require a cat, and was 100% legal. Not al trucks back in 99 had cat's and only those with CA emissions actually required one, so off it went.

Don't diesel trucks spew out black smoke just from stepping on the gas hard? They don't need modifications to do this do they?

Oddly, I've blown grey smoke from under the hood with my FFH the two times I have stomped on the gas to accelerate as fast as I could to get into traffic. Once was from a dead stop (yesterday, I even peeled rubber), and once was over a year ago when I was trying to merge when I was already doing 50mpg. Oh, the acceleration was way faster than I was expecting or needed (especially off the stop).

The blowing smoke from under the hood has me kind of worried; I don't think it is normal.

If blowing white smoke is a common event with a FFH under hard acceleration, maybe, someone should (if it's safe) pull out and pass one of these black smokers with full acceleration. The combination of smoke and rate of acceleration might cause surprise. It would be most effective from a complete stop with the added spinning tires.

Whats funny is I beat just about everyone across the intersection, without the ICE even coming on.

We could probably beat most all of those "coal burners" in acceleration. They may have lots of power, but it is all for naught if they aren't towing heavy loads (bigger than a trailer with ATVs, or other similar "boys" toys).