Sign in to follow this  
ChrisAshton84

Black smoke under full throttle?!

Black smoke indicates a overly rich fuel mixture. Blue smoke would be excessive oil burning. Has it done it a second time, or was this a one-time event?

I decided to see how quickly the car could accelerate, turning onto an open highway (it's good to know in an emergency!) I was _very_ surprised to see a huge black cloud of smoke appear behind me. It was thick enough that I couldn't see a car behind me through it until they passed through the cloud. It looked like what a diesel will sometimes belch out when they're going all-out, very sooty.

The engine didn't make any horrible noises or anything, but it also didn't accelerate too quickly... it still probably took 10 seconds to get to 55. No CEL, and oil life is still reported at over 50%.

Any ideas what this could be? I won't have a chance to take this in until next week.

ChrisAshton84,

If you decide to take your Fusion in to have the dealer take a look, let me know. Just send me over a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll look into it for you.

Ashley

IMO, since we rarely ever use more than 1/2 throttle, the black smoke thing doesn't seem out of line. Any vehicle not driven hard, then suddenly floored will smoke. Thats just carbon or other stuff that builds up in the cylinders being pushed out by the rapidly rising cylinder pressure.

I wouldn't worry...also I wouldn't do that very often...I'm just not sure that the Atkinson cycle engines are really good at full throttle long duration applications. They have huge valve overlap that pushes some unburnt air-fuel mixture back into the intake and on the next intake stroke, all that extra air-fuel has to go somewhere. I'd bet the charge is very rich after a few cycles, causing smoke. Adding that to the unburnt stuff and look at what you get.

Actually, the Atkinson cycle ICEs operate at almost full throttle ( plate opening ) all the time. What they don't do is operate at high RPM or percentage of max power very often. A full go pedal application that quickly yields maximum RPM and power may be scavenging something nestled in the intake manifold. The Gen 1 FFH 2010-12 would sometimes put out white smoke at full throttle in right turns that is thought to be due to a design flaw where full oil levels slant under G's and the crankshaft hits it and froths the surface and the PCV valve sucks it into the engine.

So this afternoon on a warm summer day, 85°, with a total of 4 adults in my car including myself (about 500 extra pounds), with my FFH engine at normal fully-heated operating temperature, I was demonstrating to my the passengers how well the FFH can accelerate under wide-open throttle (WOT) conditions even though I just about never do WOT otherwise, and afterwards I did see a large white cloud behind my car.

The 2010-12s do it during a right turn WOT acceleration if the oil level is at the full mark or above. Don't worry about the white smoke.

The 2010-12s do it during a right turn WOT acceleration if the oil level is at the full mark or above. Don't worry about the white smoke.

Just call the car 'Spy Hunter'