Sign in to follow this  
Dale

Concerned about winter handling and performance.

Whats up gang? I realize it's summer and perhaps a little early to be concerned with such a topic but I'm researching winter tires and want to consider any input i can get from this community. I live in NW Ohio and commute to Dearborn, Michigan three times a week for work. This past winter was a bear, especially driving on Route 23 and 94. The roads were hideous, the snow and ice made the commute treacherous. I got the 2013 FFH stuck 3 times, once leaving a speedway gas station, which is on an incline going into oncoming traffic, leaving a motel where it snowed 6" over night, leaving the parking lot a winter wonderland / demolition derby at sunrise and during a snow storm after a Christmas party at a housing complex with multiple dips and inclines through out the parking lot. The low clearance of the FFH and any considerable snow accumulation leaves this vehicle stranded. I'm a seasoned winter driver, growing up in the Great Lakes Region of the US. I'm thinking snow tires this year for sure. Just wanted to know how you fellow winter commuters faired and If any of you had trouble? I found that the 2013 FFH lacks torque to the front wheels when starting off on ice and snow. Since the FFH doesn't idle, it seems to have trouble getting going, especially if there is any type of grade or incline that is icy. I was unable to "rock the vehicle" for any any kind of momentum. I'm hoping that a good set of snow tires will give a better result. Being that 90% of my commute is on the highway, where you have to maintain a reasonable speed and a lot of common sense, especially with wind ,snow and ice. I thought of getting rid of this car due to the winter performance, but I really love the car. Not ready to give up on it just yet. I'd appreciate any positive comments especially if you have purchased snow tires for the 2013 FFH The michelin all weather OEM's just aren't the answer here. Thanks, DWK

FYI - I'm moving this topic to the "Tires" section. You will find snow tire threads there.