DirectorMan

Is an old Build Date on 2014 HyTi a bad thing?

On a car that has been possibly sitting that long, the components I would be most worried about would be the 12V battery, the tires, and the wipers. So I would probably bring that up as a bargaining tactic. And the fact that they haven't been able to sell it for that long should make them more "motivated" sellers too. ;)

I don't think the build date on a 2014 would matter at all. If you were considering a new leftover or used 2013 you might want one with a later build date.

That car is nearly a year old. Maybe it just doesn't have what people want in the area that the car is in. Sometimes you run across a car or truck that has been sitting for a year unsold because it is either stripped down, or loaded to the gills and is in the wrong market area. As mentioned previously, check the miles on it, it could have been a dealer Demo, a lot queen, or one of those "special" units that got side tracked off to another factory for a refitting, or just got lost in the system. There were a few of the 13's that wound up getting lost too.

Dealerships place their own orders based on what they feel will sell off their lots to the customers that frequent their showroom. Ford might send a few vehicles their way based on what is out there. Perhaps a couple cars were ordered, built and canceled, so these cars are in limbo. So if a dealer is looking for some stock, Ford can quickly ship them these Limbo cars. As far as searching a single VIN, the only time the holder of that VIN would know is if a stock check was made from competing dealers. Usually they just look the car up on their search engine by the VIN to get the details on the car. Only when a firm commitment is made would they then contact the holder of that car.

I have bought a lot of cars recently, can you tell?

If I tell a dealership that I want a HyTi of a certain color with certain options, do they first perform a stock check of other dealerships, since they don't have a VIN yet?

Yep, a good one will. There are dealers who wont because all they care about is moving whats on their lot.

So, in this example, would the holder be alerted as to the fact that another dealership is looking at their stock? Would they be able to see what the other dealer was looking for?

No, There is a Ford search tool. You put in what you are looking for in options, and distance and it spits out a list of vehicles that match that criteria. Its similar to Autotrader and cars.com, but is more exact in its search. You specify a Tuxedo Black HyTi, with ACC, and Sunroof, and it will only list those specific cars with those options. The only time the holding dealer would know is if the searching dealer calls them about it. The search tool is only available to dealers. I do believe its web based but you have to have a dealer log in to access it.