I recently purchased my '10 Fusion Hybrid and the air bag light came on and stayed on the other day.

I brought it by a local dealer and they called me today and said that the seat airbag needs to be replaced on the passenger side, a $423 repair. Does this seem right? Has anyone else had this problem? What kind of questions should I ask the service dept in order to negotiate the price?

Thanks in advance

Mikey1234,

I'm happy to look into this and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll let you know what I find out.

Ashley

Each airbag has a control module in it that has to pass a test to verify that it can deploy. Most likely that is what failed and since its part of the bag they have to replace the whole thing.

Totally agree with unplugging and reconnecting the suspect connectors first, but you will still need a scanner, to identify the circuit and component and to clear the codes. I would also apply contact cleaner to the connectors pins. Cleaners like Deoxit, will clean the connectors and prevent future oxidation. Airbag circuits are very sensitive. If a normal circuit resistance is 2 ohms and the system is seeing 5 ohms, it can set a code.

I think it also detects the amount of weight and will turn it off if its < a certain limit, say like 40 pounds, like it you have a kid in a car seat there.

How much does your laptop weigh? Dang man, mine is barely heavy enough to stay put in a stiff breeze.