Sign in to follow this  
md13ffhguy

Me and my car and what we can do

Well, it may not be what you and your car can do, so.... YMMV. ;)

I enjoy all the mileage reports, but I was thinking recently that, while one-way trip reports are interesting, they clearly don't tell the whole story. I'm pretty sure that the great majority of car owners make round trips, because, well, most of us have a place we call home. Whether it's A to B and back to A, or A to B to C all the way to Z and back to A again, it's the performance over the entirety of the trip that really matters. So, I've decided to document some of my days that begin and end at home.

Monday started out like most workdays and I... drove to work.

post-12423-0-56625300-1401852083_thumb.jpg

After work, I had to head directly to my kids' school for an awards ceremony.

post-12423-0-43569700-1401852086_thumb.jpg

I met up with my wife there, and we stopped at a local wing joint

post-12423-0-20302000-1401852088_thumb.jpg

before heading home.

post-12423-0-70494400-1401852090_thumb.jpg

I'd have to say it was a pretty efficient day! :happy feet: (Sorry, my exuberance abounds!)

The biggest reason behind the differences in my MPGs heading to work vs coming home? I think it's mostly explained by the net change in elevation.

A 4000 lb. car descending 500 ft. in an hour's drive gains 1 hp. Since 25 hp is a frequent requirement at highway speeds, that is 4 %. That's 2 mpg plus and minus from 50 mpg so you would see a 4 mpg difference in this example. Warmer temperatures in an afternoon commute would be a greater effect.

md13ffhguy, did your kids get better grades than your brake score?

A 4000 lb. car descending 500 ft. in an hour's drive gains 1 hp. Since 25 hp is a frequent requirement at highway speeds, that is 4 %. That's 2 mpg plus and minus from 50 mpg so you would see a 4 mpg difference in this example. Warmer temperatures in an afternoon commute would be a greater effect.

Nice formula. Btw, I just checked, and work is 580 ft below the elevation at home. I don't think it's the temperature difference so much that causes the variation to and from work. The variances from day to day, however, seem to be more related to the nature of the backups I invariably encounter.

md13ffhguy, did your kids get better grades than your brake score?

Sometimes... But, it was an athletics awards ceremony. ;)

Do you have the 17" wheels?

Yes. I specifically shopped for a car with 17" wheels, due to the lower replacement cost down the road.

Edited by md13ffhguy

Is it downhill both ways? ;) Awesome MPG!

You would think so. I've had this car since October and these results are really impressing me!

Or is friends with Coach and has the football team helping out. Haven't heard from him in a while, wonder how he is doing.

Finally, Friday. Of course, my camera app malfunctions, and I can't get the Trip Summary pic snapped before it disappears...

So, here's my Trip 1 that I reset when I fueled up on Thursday, so it includes 2.0 miles from gas station to home, and then Friday's trip to work.

Actual Trip Summary MPG was 64.4.

post-12423-0-67542200-1402152415_thumb.jpg

And, back home again (not outstanding MPG, but not bad!)

post-12423-0-06669400-1402152427_thumb.jpg

So, work to home is my most challenging trip. Varies from low of about 47 to high of 54, but usually toward the lower end. Main difference from day to day? The amount and location of backups. If the slowdowns occur in just the right places (usually uphill areas), the mileage can be better. When there's not as much traffic, I'm forced to maintain highway speeds over a few inclines that really take a toll on MPG.

That completes my work week. I'll update with another week's worth of round-trip data when I see noteworthy changes.

Can't express how satisfied I am with this car! So, yesterday, every MPG factor seems to align and I get 71.6 MPG on the way to work! 49.8 brought me back to reality on the way home, but.... Wow! And, tonight was my 6th straight 50+ MPG fuel up. I don't really feel like I'm "hypermiling" - just driving gently and adhering to the speed limit. My last car was intended to be a fun car (Mitsu Eclipse GT), but somehow, I'm having more fun with this Fusion Hybrid! A long time fast lane driver, and now I'm almost exclusively right lane. I also can't get over how much this experience has de-stressed me.

post-12423-0-82155300-1403319444_thumb.jpg

post-12423-0-31347200-1403319449_thumb.jpg

P.S. A music app or two for MFT would be the icing on the cake. ;)

Edited by md13ffhguy

I think md13ffhguy secretly works for Ford and has photo-shopped the MPG.

:)

Awesome numbers.

My best numbers have been in the last few days. (Sorry, my iPhone has an issue with close-ups and so I can't post proof)

Last night, 7 mile drive, 81 MPG. I drove it as carefully as I could.

Today, 2 mile drive, 136 MPG. Had to make sure that I was really in my FFH and not someone else's Energi :)

In general, my fuel-up average has been 42 or 43. Can't drive hybridly for too long.

Secretly works for Ford... Nope!

So, your best numbers go against the premise I intended for this thread - sure, anyone can find a long, flat stretch and use EV almost exclusively, or a downhill stretch and go further that way. What I challenge you to do is turn around and make it a round trip.

Can't drive hybridly for too long? Well, that's why I titled this ME and my car and what WE can do - it takes both of us! ;)