I went into the 13 FFH expecting 38-43 MPG, not 47. I based it on 5+ years driving Prius, TCH and 1st gen FFH. The first one unaffectionately known forever as the Blue Devil, did not even come close to this. It had issues. I contacted the attorney who started that CA against Ford, but dropped out when I got rid of it and got the HyTi I have now. That case I believe has been put to bed though when Ford dropped EPA on the Cmax. The Fusion fell through since so many can hit EPA they dont have a case. My HyTi is doing Exactly as I predicted, 38-43 MPG and better. Some days it impresses the hell out of me by going past 47 MPG when I least expect it to.

C for me, which is why I lowered my expectations on MPG. Knowing your daily drive is part of knowing what you will get. If you do everything possible to get good MPG, and still can't, something IS wrong with the vehicle, proving it though is difficult, even when there is physical evidence something isnt working correctly. However, the lawsuit is bogus. The only ones who will make out are the lawyers.

I'm not getting over 40-41 mpg, This is my 2nd Hybrid. I had a FFH and I always came very close to the 41/36 mpg and occasionally hit a lot higher without even trying. I'm having a hell of a time with this car. The other day I filled up and got it up to 48ish but that was coasting for multiple miles downhill. On my return trip I ended up going back to 40ish again. No matter how good I drive the car I don't think I will ever get 47. And even worse my wife is hitting 42-43 mpg with her 2013 C-MAX.

Edited by Howie411

I'm not getting over 40-41 mpg, This is my 2nd Hybrid. I had a FFH and I always came very close to the 41/36 mpg and occasionally hit a lot higher without even trying. I'm having a hell of a time with this car. The other day I filled up and got it up to 48ish but that was coasting for multiple miles downhill. On my return trip I ended up going back to 40ish again. No matter how good I drive the car I don't think I will ever get 47. And even worse my wife is hitting 42-43 mpg with her 2013 C-MAX.

Switch cars, see if it trends. I also had a first gen FFH and also saw similar to what you did, and had a hard time transitioning to the new one at first, but eventually figured out the trick to it. I went from 34 to 36 after a while in the first one, then when the one I have now came in, first trip in it hit 47. It doesnt drive the same as the first gen, close, but different. Best method I found to accelerate from a dead stop, start off light pedal in EV to about 15 MPH then transition to ICE at 2 bars on Empower. If you do it right, you will be at 2 bars when it switches. Keep it there until you reach your speed then feather the pedal to maintain speed. If your roads tend to be slightly inclined like a few by me, and are 55MPH zones, i found keeping the HVB charge at or above 80% and staying on ICE gives the best MPG, the instant will be at or above 40 at that point. Quite a bit different than the 1st gen, the ICE worked more in the old one, higher RPM, but at 55+ it also could maintain speed with little effort. It was direct drive at that point where the new one is EV+ICE, EV for the most part using energy coming from the ICE/Generator, and ICE coupling when more power is called for.

I'm very happy with this car. The only thing I don't really like (and that's overstating a bit) is the effort it takes to drive effectively. I find myself focusing on every little thing about how I drive instead of just driving. I'm sure this will become second nature, but I'm forever checking to make sure I just broke effectively enough, or checking my MPG and easing up on the gas to get it back up, etc.

I do have a question tho - the above poster says 'start in EV then transition to ICE'. How do you do that purposfully? I'm assuming starting slowly then accelerating to get the gas engine to kick in. Just wondering if there's a trick to driving that I'm missing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hybrid driving. For most people this is exactly what happens, for others they just dont care and drive it like any other car and really don't complain if they dont meet EPA because what they got rid of most likely got under 20.

It will take quite a bit of muscle training to get to the point where you can ease off the line in EV and transition to ICE. Once you find the technique to do it, you will find it gets easier over time until it just happens on its own. After the car breaks in after 10-15K miles(yes it does take that long), you will find it take NO effort on your part to get good MPG. Right now mine is at 24K and change and I just drive it and get mid 40's, and have actually got over 50 when I put some effort into it. It really didn't start getting this easy until I hit high teens on the Odometer. I think tire wear has a lot to do with it too.

It's interesting to read this thread and see the complaints about people getting 40 instead of 47 or 50 mpg. The difference is a very small amount of fuel. If you live in the Warmth, you'll get EPA or better. In the Cold EPA and worse. Aggressive driving worse, hypermilng better. It's fun so don't get upset by it. Who thought 10 years ago you could drive a nice Ford midsize car and get 40-50 mpg.

Edited by lolder

When you get 34 MPG in a car this size, that isnt bad at all, however, when it is supposed to get 13 MPG more than that, it does make you go WTF?? 38-43 is Damned good for a car like this. If you can't get that in this car, you either are driving it hard, or it has an issue, and usually its the former. When it was extremely cold last winter I was seeing minimum of 34, usually 38 was what it did in the cold, and now its doing 45 and better.

It would be helpful for someone on this forum to list, very simply, the steps to correctly driving a Fusion Hybrid. Please eliminate any abbreviations,which are just confusing to those of us who are not engineers or with a tech background. Please be kind and helpful. The multiple gagues are very confusing to some of us and the dealer didn't bother with any hybrid driving tips when he sold the car to me. I have difficulty understanding some of your advice, but do want to learn.

Thanks.

See the following thread that is pinned in the welcome area, has references to tips and also info about acronyms too...

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6816-read-this-first-useful-information-for-all-new-forum-users/