Sign in to follow this  
Twarren6

10 years down the road

With more and more hybrids on the road, there will eventually be companies that will refurbish the HVB packs, much the same way engines and transmissions are done. The problem right now is the availability of core units. Until there are enough junked cars, to where the HVB can be stock piled, and an after market supply of the computer modules and cells become available, the only replacements will be from the dealers. Reliability on HVB is extremely high due to the computer programming that protects the batteries from over/under discharge and over temps. There are still first Gen Prius out there on original batteries, thats going on a decade or more now. I think the 2nd Gen Prius came out in 2005, so thats near a decade now too. There have been hybrid cabs with well over 300K on them still going strong.

I think the 2nd Gen Prius came out in 2005, so thats near a decade now too. There have been hybrid cabs with well over 300K on them still going strong.

Actually 2ng Gen Prius was 2004-2006, mine was a 2005... co-worker still owns it and drives it most days so I see if in the parking lot at work... it is now up to 210k miles and there has never been any issue with the HVB.

And let's not cut the 2010 FFH short, now owned by family friend, I changed the oil on that a few weeks ago and that's about to hit the 180k mark, no issue at all with the HVB and zero issues since she got it from me at 145k miles.

Edited by jeff_h

I think 2nd gen Prius ran until 2009 or 10. I had a 2007 and it was 2nd gen. The new body style marks the 3rd gen. They added a crease to the sides. Still ugly though.

Eventually one day there will be places that will refurbish used HVB. Usually when a pack goes bad, it is only one or a small handful of cells that actually fail, so they will disassemble the pack, put each cell through a test and replace the bad ones. This will do a couple things, have a ready supply of replacement packs for various cars, keep waste down to a minimum, and provide income for people.

One notable exception on battery reliability has been the Honda Civic. Here is a excerpt from the April 2014 (page 91) issue of Consumer Reports:

Most hybrid gas/electric cars have proved reliable, with a notable exception: the Honda Civic Hybrid. Last year we blasted the 2009 Civic Hybrid after almost one in five owners told us the hybrid battery had needed replacement. In this year's survey the results were much worse.

The failure rate of the 2009 Civic Hybrid's batteries has risen to almost 30 percent, and the 2010s' failure rate jumped from 12 to 32 percent, the worst among any model year. For 2009s and 2010s, that's almost one in three owners experiencing a failure-an astonishing replacement rate for any part on any car. The equivalent for the Toyota Prius? A fraction of 1 percent.

For the first time we're getting a sense of the lifespan of a Prius hybrid battery. Our latest survey sees 12 and 11-year old Prius batteries (2002s and 2003s) with a replacement rate of 5 and 4 percent, respectively. Overall, the Toyota Prius remains among the most reliable of all cars.