Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel gauge problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Regaldan80

Regaldan80

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hi all:

My wife and I just took delivery of our FFH SE last week, and she reported a problem with the fuel gauge to me this morning.  She filled up last night (it was at less than 1/4 full), but it only took about 9 gallons.  The gauge read that it was a full tank.  She got in the car this morning, and it went straight to 3/4 full.  Is this user error (at the pump, or misreading the gauge), or could something be going on with the tank/gauge?  The dealer gave it to us at a full tank, and this is the first time we've filled it.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Don't sweat it, that's been normal behavior for most with the first several tanks as the system builds a MPG history (for lack of a more technical term) from which to predict your fuel level and distance to empty (DTE)... mine did exactly the same thing, but after a few tanks it became pretty accurate.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#3 OFFLINE   Griswald

Griswald

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 297 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Filling this thing is a real exercise in patience.

Full flow until it clicks off, full flow until it clicks off again, trickle another 2 or so gallons into it.  That should fill it up to its 13.5 gallon capacity.

At least that's what has worked for me in my short time as an owner.

#4 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

Many many threads related to this.  One thread has the explanation of how the fuel gauge, and DTE works. In short, the fuel gauge you see on the dash is an averaged calculation of what the car registers in the amount of fuel that is in the tank. It isn't a 1:1 of the float level like in older cars.  Sounds goofy but its all some mad programming that Ford did on the Hybrids. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#5 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Full flow until it clicks off, full flow until it clicks off again, trickle another 2 or so gallons into it.  That should fill it up to its 13.5 gallon capacity.

Bad habit to get into.  Potentially REALLY bad because that method tends to OVERfill it and might eventually damage the vapor recovery system.

First, the gauges are purposely very conservative.....on all cars these days; that applies to the DTE number too.

Over the last 2 years, I've had a Malibu, an Elantra, a Toyota and this Ford.  ALL of the gas gauges said empty when there still was 10 to 15% left in the tank.

For a 13 gallon tank, that can be as much as TWO gallons.

On some models this is done to try and keep the owner from running it totally empty......because the fuel pump is cooled by gas in the bottom of the tank.

So what's the solution ?

Don't drive past E or zero on the DTE and you should be very safe.

And do NOT cram in gas past the second click.

If you fill at 1/4, it might only take 9 gallons; at E maybe 11 or so.

Repairs to the evap emission system can be very expensive......and the fuel pump too if you repeatedly run it dry.

Edited by Easy Rider, 30 May 2014 - 08:37 AM.

• billford likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Griswald

Griswald

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 297 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

Bad habit to get into.  Potentially REALLY bad because that method tends to OVERfill it and might eventually damage the vapor recovery system.

Been filling gas tanks on fuel injected and vapor recovered cars since my 1985 Mustang.  Never had a vapor system or fuel pump go bad.  I really think thats a leftover idea, like 3000 mile oil changes and rustproofing.

Besides, who would design a fuel pump that would use all of the gasoline it sits in.  Simply raising the inlet by 1/2" or setting the pump in a small depression would eliminate that "problem" and the gasoline pumps all have vapor recovery on them and those seem to always work and liquid gasoline is pouring out of them...

Edited by Griswald, 30 May 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Been filling gas tanks on fuel injected and vapor recovered cars since my 1985 Mustang.  Never had a vapor system or fuel pump go bad.  I really think thats a leftover idea, like 3000 mile oil changes and rustproofing.

I'm offering you what is commonly known in the auto industry as good advice about this.

If you don't believe that, ask a few "seasoned" mechanics about it.

You may choose to ignore it if you want; no skin off my nose.

You have been lucky in the past with overfilling your tanks. 

Some of the people that went over Niagara Falls lived to tell about it too.

I don't think that encouraging others to take the risk that YOU take is a responsible thing to do.

Cheers.

#8 OFFLINE   Regaldan80

Regaldan80

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

Just wanted to update everyone on this...

We recently took the car on a road trip, and after filling it three more times since the last post, it continues to only take 9 gallons (give or take a tenth) of fuel.  The last time I filled it, it was at about 1/8th of a tank, so it should have taken more than 9 gallons.  The miles to empty calculation matches what the gauge is reading, but it still seems like the car should need more gas than what it does.

This will be the 4th tank now, and it still seems to be a bit off.  Is this something I should take it into the dealer for?

#9 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Just wanted to update everyone on this...

We recently took the car on a road trip, and after filling it three more times since the last post, it continues to only take 9 gallons (give or take a tenth) of fuel.  The last time I filled it, it was at about 1/8th of a tank, so it should have taken more than 9 gallons.  The miles to empty calculation matches what the gauge is reading, but it still seems like the car should need more gas than what it does.

This will be the 4th tank now, and it still seems to be a bit off.  Is this something I should take it into the dealer for?

Multiply the MPG your car is getting, not the dash reading, but the actual hand calculated miles driven/gallons used, multiply that by 12.5, and drive that many miles, ignoring the gauge.  You should be able to put in 12.5 gallons or more at that point. Do that for a few tanks, and it will become more accurate.

If you run out of gas, knowing you have filled the tank fully, then take it to the dealer, as there is a problem with the tank.

I rarely put ore than 11 gallons in, and my gauge reflects that. It learns where your empty point is based on how much you put in at each fill.

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

It learns where your empty point is based on how much you put in at each fill.

That sounds truly weird. Do you know that it works that way?

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 244 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

First, the gauges are purposely very conservative.....on all cars these days; that applies to the DTE number too.

Over the last 2 years, I've had a Malibu, an Elantra, a Toyota and this Ford.  ALL of the gas gauges said empty when there still was 10 to 15% left in the tank.

For a 13 gallon tank, that can be as much as TWO gallons.

On some models this is done to try and keep the owner from running it totally empty......because the fuel pump is cooled by gas in the bottom of the tank.

So what's the solution ?

Don't drive past E or zero on the DTE and you should be very safe.

And do NOT cram in gas past the second click.

If you fill at 1/4, it might only take 9 gallons; at E maybe 11 or so.

Repairs to the evap emission system can be very expensive......and the fuel pump too if you repeatedly run it dry.

I agree that the evap system can be damaged.

I had a habit of overfilling my F150 tank to the very top. On a hot day, fuel would seep out of the vapor canister and there would be a few drops on the ground.

Unfortunately my bad habit has carried over to the Fusion, but it will stop today. 2 clicks at the pump is the maximum now... 

#12 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

That sounds truly weird. Do you know that it works that way?

Somewhere is a PDF explaining how the fuel system works. I will post the thread here when I find it.

Here it is http://fordfusionhyb...echies/?p=70255

Somewhere in the first link is the explanation of the fuel system.   Basically the fuel sender unit is used to calculate an average of fuel in the tank. Somewhere else I had posted a theory on how it all works, and  the discrepancy of the fuel gauge, and only being able to put in 11 gallons.

Edited by acdii, 22 June 2014 - 07:37 PM.

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Darkside

Darkside

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 89 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

I read through parts of the links provided so I will share.  It says two clicks and it also says do not try and figure out gas mileage until 2000 - 3000 miles are on the vehicle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·