jeffo65

Installed Hitch for Bike Rack

I finally got around to installing the hitch on our FFH for the bike rack. I picked the hitch up from AutoAnything for about $100 delivered. It only took 30 minutes for my wife and I to install it. It was easy and straightforward.

Here is a picture with the rack and her bike on the FFH. I was only able to get one picture before she left for her ride with the girls.

Very happy with the hitch and rack. The rack is a Kuat Sherpa 2 bike rack. It only weighs 29 pounds.

Rack.jpg

It does not appear to have affected the mpgs much either. On her drive home she got 66.9mpg over the 23 mile drive. I am sure it will have some effect over a much longer trip when we head to Door County with 2 bikes on it. But it will still be more than we were getting with the old car when carrying the bikes.

Jeffo65, what brand of hitch did you buy? Can you post a picture without the bike rack on so we can see how it looks?

Thanks

I bought the Curt hitch. Very easy to install. I will try to get a picture without the rack tonight.

I see that hitch there. Did the install require any drilling? Online reviews say you just fish the bolts into existing holes. Do you think it makes the car more susceptible to scraping on curbs? Thanks

No drilling at all. Very easy with the fish wires. Just insert the fish wires before attaching the bolts to them. We have not scraped the hitch yet. It is about 2.5 inches lower than the bottom lip of the bumper.

With the bike on the rack, do you get any false back-up or cross traffic alerts (IF you car is equipped with these)?

It picks up the bike and hitch, as expected, so the alerts are not helpful at all. But I can still view, through the camera, while backing up.

2015 SE bike rack/trailer hitch question:

Etrailer sells two hitches; Curt, rated at 350 pounds tongue weight and; Draw Tite Sport rated at 200 pounds tongue weight.

Reviews and install comments indicate that the heavier rated Curt requires removal of a body panel while the lighter Drawtite indicates the need to do some trimming on that same panel ...but it remains in place.

If one is only going to use the hitch for a bike rack (not to tow something) it seems the Draw Tite is the way to go if a person wishes to keep the body panel and its aerodynamic properties.

Anybody have any experiences, suggestions, or comments?

I also removed the under panel to install my hitch. I am sure if I really wanted to, I could cut the panel and fit it back on, but no need to.

I had a Saris rack from a previous car and could not get it to work on the FFH due to the trunk lid shape. Plus you have a better chance marring the paint with a trunk rack.

Have not dragged the hitch in a year and a half. Our Kuat rack has a upturned neck.

Isn't there a window popping up on the left dash screen with an option to turn "reverse aid" (or something to that effect) off when you put in reverse?

I believe you are correct. No plan to turn mine off. It just gives my wife an extra warning that her bike is on the back of the car.