Griswald

Efficiency on longer highway trips...

Yes and yes!

1. Let the car do it's magic on the highway and enjoy the ride!

2. With out the load of charging the HVB you can see 50+ on flat road @ 65 MPH. This is basically what happens when the HVB is near "full" charge and the ICE propels only the car and not any longer the generator on top of it.

Ahhh! So, it takes a flat road! I've tried this several times and can never really make it happen for more than a few seconds. Too many ups and downs on the highways around me. EV cycling for me on my roads.

I used no special driving techniques to achieve 38 hand calculated mpg at 75 mph. I just set the upper limit of radar eco cruise to 75 mph and let the cruise control the rest. The only time I touched the brake was exiting to get coffee at McDonalds.

The previous generation Fusion was very efficient at highway speeds. The ICE in that car is great for highway cruises, and in the non Hybrid with the same Non Atkinson Cycle is showing good Highway too. I got up to 65 MPG on the interstate in my 2010. I will not see the same in the 13 because the ICE is only 2.0 and not the 2.5 as in the 1st gen. It needs EV assist to make up for the difference in displacement, but using as little EV as possible above 45 MPH appears to be the key. Even using just a little bit will force the ICE back to generator mode and you will see instant cut in half.

Ford ought to undo the software update that raised the maximum EV speed to 86 mph. It didn't help and made things worse in some situations.

I see your point but I am doubtful. The amount of regen you can store is solely related to how much headroom you have in the HVB before it's full. I think they use very little energy spinning the ICE to meet maximum Gen speeds. Your instantaneous mpgs go way high in those circumstances. I think they were grasping at straws when they upped the EV speed. There is also an energy penalty when you start the ICE as that's a significant brief amount. Ford probably starts and stops 10 times as often as Toyota and Toyota still leads the pack, mostly because they're lighter, sleeker and less powerful. Does anyone have data that shows the software update improved any area of driving?

Edited by lolder

Not in my case. When the update was done in my car I started noticing increased mileage. I live in PA. Lots of hills and then mountains when I travel. Right now I'm at 44.6.

When did the update occur? Seasonal temperature is a very large effect. The next biggest effect is driving habit change. You have to factor them out. They didn't change the weight, horsepower or drag Cd. They only increased EV use at higher speeds. That is generally the wrong thing to do with hybrids. EV use at higher speeds is inefficient, even with an improved LiIon HVB. It may have slightly benefited very hilly driving at the expense of flatland driving. The only way it could have helped is if it moved a significant larger portion of the ICE operating time into a lower BSFC area on the fuel map of the ICE. It would have to be a significant improvement because of the EV cycle losses.

Edited by lolder

I trusted the Ford engineers until they said they made an honest "mistake" in rating the cars at 47 mpg. That's preposterous !!! You don't make mistakes like that. Did any body get fired? Not that we know of. They knew of the problem when they went for the reprogramming hoping they wouldn't have to own up to the "mistake". I love my 2010 and the 2013+ are properly rated at 42 and are nice cars. Ford tried to put one over on Toyota and failed. Just my opinion.

Ford has been doing very well under recently retired Mulally. I think the C-Max sales have taken a big hit since the down grade and it became clear that it didn't get better mileage than the Prius V and actually was 10 mpg worse in the real world. That's a big hit in the pocket book. Sometimes these things are created by Marketing who dictates what the car has to do. Kind of like the "Weapons of mass destruction" PR.

Mulally has taken a position on Google's Board. People have been wondering who is going to build their autonomous vehicle. Is this a clue?

+1 to letting the car do its thing as the engineers intended. I believe the "technique" discussed here is possible and probably viable in the right circumstances. However, with the traffic conditions I face, I can't seem to get it right, so I feel it's not worth my effort. I really don't think I could improve much on my mileage anyhow.

Based on my observations, when the ICE is providing between 20 to 35 kW of power, efficiency is around 35%. Of the 33.705 kWh of energy released from the combustion of a gallon of gas, 35% of this energy is converted to mechanical energy used to power the car and charge the HVB. When the power provided by the ICE is less than 20 kW, efficiency starts to fall. For example, when providing 10 kW of power, the efficiency might drop to 25%. (It requires about 20 kW of power to go 65 mph and about 10 kW of power to go 50 mph.)

The efficiency the motor/generator in generating electricity is probably around 90%, i.e. 90% of the mechanical energy provided to the motor/generator is converted to electrical energy. The efficiency of the motor/generator in providing mechanical power is about 80%, i.e. 80% of the electrical energy provided to the motor/generator is converted to mechanical energy. This means about 90%*80% = 72% of the mechanical power provided by the ICE to charge the HVB is actually recovered in EV mode.

There is little advantage in having the ICE charge the HVB when it is providing 20 kW of power (around 65 mph) or more to propel the car. You are only going to recover 72% of the energy produced by the ICE when in EV mode. So 35% of the energy released from the combustion of gas is converted to mechanical power to power the motor/generator, and then 72% of the resulting electrical energy is converted back to mechanical power to propel the car later in EV mode. The overall utilization efficiency of this portion of the gas that was used to charge the HVB and later power the car later in EV mode is then 35%*72% = 25%. If you now run the car in EV mode at 65 mph using the energy from this gas, you are now effectively only getting 25% efficiency from the combustion of that gas and have lowered the overall mileage (mpg) of the car. If you had not used the gas to charge the HVB, and instead used it to propel the car, you would be getting 35% efficiency. Charging the HVB and running later in EV mode reduces mileage (mpg) at 65 mph.

However, if you could utilize the energy stored in the HVB at a later time when the power required drops below 10 kW and efficiency of the ICE drops below 25%, then it is advantageous to charge the HVB at 65 mph. With the gas used to charge the HVB, you are effectively getting 25% efficiency. If you had instead used the gas to power the ICE and propel the car (without charging the HVB), you would have gotten less than 25% efficiency since ICE efficiency has dropped below 25% at 10 kW of power. This can happen during downgrades on the freeway. So you might want to charge the HVB while driving 65+ mph so you can power the car later in EV mode while driving on a downgrade. (There are additional considerations, such as having the HVB assist the ICE to reduce the load and drive it into a more efficient operating region.)

Better yet, is to charge the HVB when the power required to propel the car is less than 20 kW. The additional power required to charge the HVB increases the overall ICE efficiency from maybe 25% to 35%--the ICE is providing 20 kW of power rather than 10 kW of power. So now you are getting 35% efficiency from the gas that is used to propel the car (rather than 25%). In addition, you are going to get at least 25% efficiency from the portion of the gas that was used to charge the HVB. So charging the HVB and running later in EV mode increases mileage (mpg) at slower speeds (around 50 mph or less).

The goal is to achieve maximum efficiency for all gas consumed. Don't run in EV mode when high power is required (high speeds or up hill), and don't charge the HVB. Don't run the ICE when low power is required (at low speeds or down hill), unless you can also charge the HVB to increase the load on the ICE and can run later in EV mode at low speeds.

There are additional considerations when deciding to charge the HVB. The HVB of the Fusion Energi is composed of 84 cells (less for the Fusion Hybrid). The cells need to all be kept balanced, i.e. maintained at the same SOC and voltage. Using power from the HVB tends to disrupt this balance--the greater the power drawn from the HVB and the lower the SOC, the greater the disruption. Charging the HVB restores the balance. The weaker cells experience greater stress than the stronger cells. If the cells are not rebalanced, the weaker cells will continue to experience more stress until they fail. See the following and subsequent posts:

"http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1683-obd-ii-data-for-hvb/?p=14915"

Edited by larryh

Well I have been forcing the ICE to run and keep the battery charged up under almost all driving conditions as an experiment, only when speed is under 30 am I on EV, and usually it takes very little energy to stay at 25. So far the ends results are right at 47 MPG. The past few mornings I kept it on ICE going through Crystal Lake where I normally cruise through on almost all EV, and the result is that I lost about 1-2 MPG, but its consistent, sitting at 46 and change both times, however my return trip home which has been pretty bad due to increased traffic and more stop and go has increased. I am seeing 45+ now instead of 41.

End result is if you can coast through town with few stops and a somewhat steady speed, EV works best, but if you are in traffic, with speeds that are up and down and multiple stops, staying on ICE with the battery charge high seems to work best. At highway speeds of 60+ keeping the HVB charge high and staying on ICE works best. When traffic is slowing, taking the foot off the pedal and coasting puts energy back in, then when resuming hit the ICE instead of EV. Since acceleration combines EV+ICE, with a full charge once up to speed EV kicks off, and any residual energy from the ICE that isnt used to maintain speed goes back into the battery. I am seeing more and more that my charge/discharge arrows are disappearing which means all ICE energy is used at the wheels, and not being used to charge the pack. This last tank is at 46.9 MPG, however my wife can easily kill the MPG, she is OK driving it, but doesn't have the diligence to drive it like I do. She only seems to get 42 in it, which is right along the lines of the average driver. She drove the first 80 or so miles on this tank, otherwise it would be closer to 48.

This car can achieve 47 provided everything is in proper working order and driven just right, which is the most difficult part for most drivers, mainly due to regular cars being just hit gas and go. The hardest part for most people would be avoiding pi$$ing off other drivers by slowing and speeding up, however the Fusion does away with that, as it can maintain a nice steady speed and still get good MPG. I only find myself P&G when traffic dictates it, but when traffic is flowing I am right there with it and still getting 40+ or better MPG instant.

Keeping HVB charge-discharge arrows off is the same as pulse and glide, the maximum hypermiling technique. It's hard to do and requires too much concentration. A hybrid is designed to do 90% of that automatically. It's all about never operating the ICE except in it's maximum thermodynamic efficiency range ( low BSFC ). Plug in hybrids have some different design goals. The operating software is a compromise. I still think upping the EV speed made the compromise worse.

Edited by lolder

Mine is starting to get easier to have 0 HVB energy in/out while cruising. It takes a really light and steady foot, but after a few weeks of driving the way I do now, it has become much easier, and I find myself getting mad(at myself) when it goes into EV. Where I drive I found the most efficient method on the FFH, it may not work for others situations, where the travel is mostly flat, with very few hills, or in slower zones were the average limit is 45 or less. In suburban driving where the roads are mostly 35 and 45 MPH, using more EV where you regenerate at lights gives better MPG than the method I use for my driving. If I lived more towards Chicago, I too would be averaging 50 MPG in the Fusion. For where I live and travel though very pleased with what I am getting. Been driving the same roads now for 13 years to the same area 5 days a week and know what to expect in MPG in any given vehicle, and when I exceed it, very happy with it, and that is holding true for both the Fusion and my MKT, in fact I am Very impressed with what I have been getting in the T. I am exceeding EPA in it. I am exceeding what I got in my first Flex, and I was happy getting the 18.5 it got since it was a 360 HP 420 Footpound beast.