Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Efficiency on longer highway trips...

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Ryan Goodlett

Ryan Goodlett

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 63 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2014 FFH Ti
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

I understand what you guys are saying, my car just doesn't seem to behave that way.

I don't mean mine goes in EV mode to drain the battery, it uses EV assist (both ICE and EV at the same time), even on flat terrain, until it depletes the battery about 10%.Then recharges.  It's like it constantly wants to cycle.  During the EV Assist on flat terrain, I see instant MPG at around 50 or so, but it's also depleting the battery and needs to recharge so it's a wash.  And there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it ignore EV assist.  If I give it more gas, it assists more, if I back off on the gas it goes into full EV.  Granted I only tried it 4-5 times on my 900 mile trip to Boston over the 4th, so maybe I wasn't doing it quite right.

Make sure you are using the Empower gauge.  With the wrong gauge you are just herding cats (chasing the impossible).

2014 FFH Ti Tuxedo Black - Ace Alloy Convex 20 x 8.5 40mm offset with 245/35/20 Goodyear All Season - Visual Garage Shark Fin - Steeda Strut Tower Brace - Steeda Hood Strut Kit - Steeda Rear Sway Bar

Ryan

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Make sure you are using the Empower gauge.  With the wrong gauge you are just herding cats (chasing the impossible).

When I'm doing this on the highway I switch back & forth between Empower & Engage. I like Empower because that allows me to make sure I keep the power demand above the EV threshold. But, I like Engage so that I can see when the car is using EV assist along with the ICE.

• jeff_h and milleron like this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#43 OFFLINE   Ryan Goodlett

Ryan Goodlett

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 63 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2014 FFH Ti

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

When I'm doing this on the highway I switch back & forth between Empower & Engage. I like Empower because that allows me to make sure I keep the power demand above the EV threshold. But, I like Engage so that I can see when the car is using EV assist along with the ICE.

I see what you are doing there.... :)  I use the empower along with the battery SOC arrows to see if the car is using the ICE and EV together.

• acdii likes this

2014 FFH Ti Tuxedo Black - Ace Alloy Convex 20 x 8.5 40mm offset with 245/35/20 Goodyear All Season - Visual Garage Shark Fin - Steeda Strut Tower Brace - Steeda Hood Strut Kit - Steeda Rear Sway Bar

Ryan

#44 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

I see what you are doing there.... :)  I use the empower along with the battery SOC arrows to see if the car is using the ICE and EV together.

I watch the arrows too. But I like the Engage screen because it allows me to see how much EV assist is happening.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#45 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

I fust completed a 400 mile road trip, averaging 34 mpg at 80 mph and 38 mpg at 75 mph. Avg ambient temp was 95+ degrees. As a comparison my previous Passat TDI would avg 38-39 on the same trip under those conditions. Accounting for diesel fuel 10% per gallon greater energy density the Atkins cycle Fusion is on par in thermal efficiency.

I am very pleased considering only 2k on the FFH drivetrain.

Edited by darrelld, 15 July 2014 - 07:08 PM.

• jeff_h and acdii like this

298222.png

383033.png

#46 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

I fust completed a 400 mile road trip, averaging 34 mpg at 80 mph and 38 mpg at 75 mph. Avg ambient temp was 95+ degrees. As a comparison my previous Passat TDI would avg 38-39 on the same trip under those conditions. Accounting for diesel fuel 10% per gallon greater energy density the Atkins cycle Fusion is on par in thermal efficiency.

Yep very common results!
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#47 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 741 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I understand what you guys are saying, my car just doesn't seem to behave that way.
I don't mean mine goes in EV mode to drain the battery, it uses EV assist (both ICE and EV at the same time), even on flat terrain, until it depletes the battery about 10%.Then recharges.  It's like it constantly wants to cycle.  During the EV Assist on flat terrain, I see instant MPG at around 50 or so, but it's also depleting the battery and needs to recharge so it's a wash.  And there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it ignore EV assist.  If I give it more gas, it assists more, if I back off on the gas it goes into full EV.  Granted I only tried it 4-5 times on my 900 mile trip to Boston over the 4th, so maybe I wasn't doing it quite right.

Don't worry, dude, I don't get it either! I just set the cruise on the highway, and let the car work its magic! Seems to do just as well or better than what's reported with this technique... The way it's explained here, it would seem you could do away with EV mode altogether for highway driving. No way do I believe this Atkinson ICE could produce such MPGs on its own.
  • Texasota likes this

244968.png

#48 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 986 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

The way it's explained here, it would seem you could do away with EV mode altogether for highway driving. No way do I believe this Atkinson ICE could produce such MPGs on its own.

I'm skeptical also. There has to be a reason the engineers designed it to operate in this manner.

#49 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Don't worry, dude, I don't get it either! I just set the cruise on the highway, and let the car work its magic! Seems to do just as well or better than what's reported with this technique... The way it's explained here, it would seem you could do away with EV mode altogether for highway driving. No way do I believe this Atkinson ICE could produce such MPGs on its own.

Yes and yes!

1. Let the car do it's magic on the highway and enjoy the ride!

2. With out the load of charging the HVB you can see 50+ on flat road @ 65 MPH. This is basically what happens when the HVB is near "full" charge and the ICE propels only the car and not any longer the generator on top of it.
  • acdii and Ryan Goodlett like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#50 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,829 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

That's the marvel of the Atkinson. It's going to move the same weight down the road with the same fuel BTU efficiency as a good diesel. It's similar in some ways; it runs with little intake manifold throttling and is pretty lean most of the time. Those were always a source of loses in gas engines in the past.

#51 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 741 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

Yes and yes!

1. Let the car do it's magic on the highway and enjoy the ride!

2. With out the load of charging the HVB you can see 50+ on flat road @ 65 MPH. This is basically what happens when the HVB is near "full" charge and the ICE propels only the car and not any longer the generator on top of it.

Ahhh! So, it takes a flat road! I've tried this several times and can never really make it happen for more than a few seconds. Too many ups and downs on the highways around me. EV cycling for me on my roads.

244968.png

#52 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

What you achieve with this technique is you basically drive the FFH powertrain to behave like a Toyota HSD powertrain.

The Prius would go as low as 4 HP on the freeway with the instant MPG at 100+. The Camry is similar. The FFH won't go lower than about 15 HP but if you're on the freeway just barely keeping the ICE on with your foot then the FFH will run the ICE at 15 HP and will use almost all of that power to charge the HVB while still getting 50+ instant MPG.

Larry_h has done calculations to show why this is more efficient than letting the car cycle itself. Since he has an Energi & can track MPGe in EV mode he has been able to do this.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#53 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

Ahhh! So, it takes a flat road! I've tried this several times and can never really make it happen for more than a few seconds. Too many ups and downs on the highways around me. EV cycling for me on my roads.

I do it on the rolling hills of MN. I set my cruise at 65 MPH for example when the speed limit is 70 & then I will gently press the gas pedal just enough to prevent the car from going into EV mode. On downhill stretches I often speed up to 70+ and then I gradually slow down going up hill until the cruise control kicks back in just above 65 MPH.
  • corncobs likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#54 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

I used no special driving techniques to achieve 38 hand calculated mpg at 75 mph. I just set the upper limit of radar eco cruise to 75 mph and let the cruise control the rest. The only time I touched the brake was exiting to get coffee at McDonalds.

298222.png

383033.png

#55 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

The previous generation Fusion was very efficient at highway speeds. The ICE in that car is great for highway cruises, and in the non Hybrid with the same Non Atkinson Cycle is showing good Highway too. I got up to 65 MPG on the interstate in my 2010. I will not see the same in the 13 because the ICE is only 2.0 and not the 2.5 as in the 1st gen. It needs EV assist to make up for the difference in displacement, but using as little EV as possible above 45 MPH appears to be the key.  Even using just a little bit will force the ICE back to generator mode and you will see instant cut in half. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#56 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Ford ought to undo the software update that raised the maximum EV speed to 86 mph. It didn't help and made things worse in some situations.

#57 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Ford ought to undo the software update that raised the maximum EV speed to 86 mph. It didn't help and made things worse in some situations.

I disagree. It helps in some situations, such as when you are going down a mountain. And once you get up to about 70 MPH the threshold bar on the empower screen gets very small which makes it hard to get the ICE to turn off. The improvement I would suggest is making the threshold bar to turn off the ICE get small at lower speeds. However, being able to turn off the ICE when descending a mountain at 65+ MPH is helpful because it means you can get more regen without friction losses going to an ICE that's spinning with no fuel being injected.

• GrySql and corncobs like this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#58 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

I see your point but I am doubtful. The amount of regen you can store is solely related to how much headroom you have in the HVB before it's full. I think they use very little energy spinning the ICE to meet maximum Gen speeds. Your instantaneous mpgs go way high in those circumstances. I think they were grasping at straws when they upped the EV speed. There is also an energy penalty when you start the ICE as that's a significant brief amount. Ford probably starts and stops 10 times as often as Toyota and Toyota still leads the pack, mostly because they're lighter, sleeker and less powerful. Does anyone have data that shows the software update improved any area of driving?

Edited by lolder, 16 July 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

Not in my case. When the update was done in my car I started noticing increased mileage. I live in PA. Lots of hills and then mountains when I travel. Right now I'm at 44.6.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#60 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Not in my case. When the update was done in my car I started noticing increased mileage. I live in PA. Lots of hills and then mountains when I travel. Right now I'm at 44.6.

When did the update occur? Seasonal temperature is a very large effect. The next biggest effect is driving habit change. You have to factor them out. They didn't change the weight, horsepower or drag Cd. They only increased EV use at higher speeds. That is generally the wrong thing to do with hybrids. EV use at higher speeds is inefficient, even with an improved LiIon HVB. It may have slightly benefited very hilly driving at the expense of flatland driving. The only way it could have helped is if it moved a significant larger portion of the ICE operating time into a lower BSFC area on the fuel map of the ICE. It would have to be a significant improvement because of the EV cycle losses.

Edited by lolder, 17 July 2014 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·