Griswald

Efficiency on longer highway trips...

I max out the charge since accelerating back up to 60 uses up some of that extra charge, so it doesn't use any ICE energy to put back into the battery. I am getting better than 47 this way in the mornings. sadly can't do it coming home due to traffic being denser with more idiots on the road. Also the lights are against us going home where in the morning we can usually breeze through 90% of them.

I'm not sure how you guys stay out of EV at a high SOC. Mine likes to use EV assist once I get over about 80% charged until it drops down to about 65-70%, then recharges itself.

Either way, I'm still going to rely on cruise control and be reasonably happy with the 38-40 I get at 70 mph.

I do wish Ford trusted their drivers a bit more to make a decision about EV usage though. I'd love there to be 3 modes:

Normal - current

Max EV - EV+ all the time

No/limited EV - what we're trying to accomplish in this thread. I do think that having EV available at high speeds is a fuel saver for going down long downgrades, but flatland and uphill it appears to be less efficient than the atkinson.

That's what we mean. We keep it from going into EV mode, keeping the ICE on the entire time. For me I use CC but keep my right foot near the gas, then when we hit a downhill stretch that would normally make the car turn off the ICE I gently step on the gas just barely enough to keep the ICE on. This causes the instant MPG to go to 60+ and the HVB is charging. This appears to be more efficient that letting the ICE turn off & then drain the HVB in EV mode on these stretches.

Then, when going uphill the car uses EV as assist which allows the ICE to continue to run on little fuel keeping the instant MPG near 40 MPG even when going up a hill.

I understand what you guys are saying, my car just doesn't seem to behave that way.

I don't mean mine goes in EV mode to drain the battery, it uses EV assist (both ICE and EV at the same time), even on flat terrain, until it depletes the battery about 10%.Then recharges. It's like it constantly wants to cycle. During the EV Assist on flat terrain, I see instant MPG at around 50 or so, but it's also depleting the battery and needs to recharge so it's a wash. And there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it ignore EV assist. If I give it more gas, it assists more, if I back off on the gas it goes into full EV. Granted I only tried it 4-5 times on my 900 mile trip to Boston over the 4th, so maybe I wasn't doing it quite right.

Edited by jsolan

It's a balancing act with the right foot. Just enough pressure to keep it on ICE, and not enough to accelerate, but enough to maintain speed on ICE and charge, at times I have been getting it in equilibrium status where there are no arrows on the battery. Thats the hardest part. My wife can't do it either, she had the car since Friday and only got 42 MPG in it, while this morning I got 48.5.

I fust completed a 400 mile road trip, averaging 34 mpg at 80 mph and 38 mpg at 75 mph. Avg ambient temp was 95+ degrees. As a comparison my previous Passat TDI would avg 38-39 on the same trip under those conditions. Accounting for diesel fuel 10% per gallon greater energy density the Atkins cycle Fusion is on par in thermal efficiency.

I am very pleased considering only 2k on the FFH drivetrain.

Edited by darrelld

I understand what you guys are saying, my car just doesn't seem to behave that way.

I don't mean mine goes in EV mode to drain the battery, it uses EV assist (both ICE and EV at the same time), even on flat terrain, until it depletes the battery about 10%.Then recharges. It's like it constantly wants to cycle. During the EV Assist on flat terrain, I see instant MPG at around 50 or so, but it's also depleting the battery and needs to recharge so it's a wash. And there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it ignore EV assist. If I give it more gas, it assists more, if I back off on the gas it goes into full EV. Granted I only tried it 4-5 times on my 900 mile trip to Boston over the 4th, so maybe I wasn't doing it quite right.

Don't worry, dude, I don't get it either! I just set the cruise on the highway, and let the car work its magic! Seems to do just as well or better than what's reported with this technique... The way it's explained here, it would seem you could do away with EV mode altogether for highway driving. No way do I believe this Atkinson ICE could produce such MPGs on its own.

The way it's explained here, it would seem you could do away with EV mode altogether for highway driving. No way do I believe this Atkinson ICE could produce such MPGs on its own.

I'm skeptical also. There has to be a reason the engineers designed it to operate in this manner.

I fust completed a 400 mile road trip, averaging 34 mpg at 80 mph and 38 mpg at 75 mph. Avg ambient temp was 95+ degrees. As a comparison my previous Passat TDI would avg 38-39 on the same trip under those conditions. Accounting for diesel fuel 10% per gallon greater energy density the Atkins cycle Fusion is on par in thermal efficiency.

I am very pleased considering only 2k on the FFH drivetrain.

That's the marvel of the Atkinson. It's going to move the same weight down the road with the same fuel BTU efficiency as a good diesel. It's similar in some ways; it runs with little intake manifold throttling and is pretty lean most of the time. Those were always a source of loses in gas engines in the past.