Griswald

Efficiency on longer highway trips...

My anecdotal observations are that it is traffic which has the single biggest effect on the fluctuations in my MPGs on my regular highway commute, but then again I don't have an anemometer mounted on my FFH either. :play:

Edited by Hybrider

This morning I was SO close to a perfect score, then just before I reached my wife's office did a 99% and 94%. For some reason the brake feel changes in my car, where it feels like there is none then push just a touch more and hit service brakes. Anyhow, leaving the house with a full charge I got a 49+. For my driving, staying on ICE does seem to return the best. I have been doing the EV P&G all last week and yesterday and only seeing a 44 MPG tank, so it does matter.

If I am understanding the "keep the ICE on" technique the ultimate goal is to keep the ICE on the entire time and ideally without it expending any energy to recharge the HVB. And using this technique it is being reported that MPG in the high 40s and low 50s can be consistently achieved.

If this is true, then does it logically follow that if Ford produced a gas Fusion that had the 2.0 Atkinson engine (with no hybrid componentry) we would have a mid-size car that would achieve high 40s or low 50s MPG on the highway which exceeds the EPA highway MPG of even the most efficent diesel midsize cars?

If you had only the 141 HP Atkinson cycle 2.0L engine it would seem underpowered. It would also need a conventional transmission which may not be as efficient.

Either way, I hate driving a car with a shifting transmission. And this Fusion has almost 40k miles on it and the shifting is incredibly rough. Each time the transmission shifts the car lurches. I don't know how anyone can drive a car like that...

The FFH ICE would work fine with a CVT, but would be very underpowered. I also think that you are spoiled driving the Hybrids, after so many years driving one I find conventional trannies harsh too.

However, mating the Atkinson without the Ecvt would not make a very efficient ride, the fuel used to get up to speed would be far more than a normal ICE since it wont have the Electric assist you get from the Hybrid side. Once up to speed and cruising on level roads with low resistance, you should see good economy, but any grade would put it back into fuel sucking mode. The current ICE and ECVT is a perfect match, it just needs more tweaking in the programming. Hopefully at some point Ford will come out with new programming to lower the EV threshold at highway speeds to force more HVB charge into the pack to match what some of us are seeing doing this technique.

Yes, but that car would be lacking in power compared to what most Americans demand. Note that the FFH has more total horsepower (188) than the 2.5L Fusion or the 1.6L Ecoboost Fusion.

If you had only the 141 HP Atkinson cycle 2.0L engine it would seem underpowered. It would also need a conventional transmission which may not be as efficient.

While our car is in the shop the dealer gave us a 2013 Fusion SE base model as a loaner. I plugged my ScanGauge in to it and I was watching HP & Load numbers while driving. Most of the time while accelerating, etc the HP demanded was about the same as what I see in the hybrid without the generator load, about 30 HP. When accelerating onto the freeway I accelerated slightly more aggresively and the ICE quickly raced up to over 100 HP. Even at that power level the car seemed to take forever to get up to 60 MPH. I don't think our ICE would have gone anywhere near that high. I'll have to monitor data if I drive it any more to see how it compares.

At 60 MPH the HP demand was quite similar to what we see as described above. However, the Load numbers were quite different. The FFH reports Load numbers in the high 70s to low 80s at ~25 HP. The 2.5L Fusion reported Load numbers in the 40s. This shows the efficiency of the atkinson cycle at that power demand and in how the ICE is programmed. The FFH ICE is programmed to never really go much higher than 60 HP unless you really push it because it has the electric motor to help it out with providing power. A non-hybrid doesn't have that so its ICE must be able to provide more power.

Either way, I hate driving a car with a shifting transmission. And this Fusion has almost 40k miles on it and the shifting is incredibly rough. Each time the transmission shifts the car lurches. I don't know how anyone can drive a car like that...

HB, thanks for the interesting response. I was partially motivated to pose those questions because of this article that I read recently which discusses Atkinson cycle engines that are coming in the near future for non-hybrid cars:

http://wot.motortrend.com/1404_toyotas_future_engines_employ_atkinson_cycle_for_max_efficiency.html