boxerman

Fusion and LONG Commute...

I'd be more concerned about comfort than depreciation with the number of driving hours you're talking about. I find the FFH to be extremely comfortable and enjoyable to drive. I can't say that about any other car I would consider an "econo-car".

I'm sure the best car you can get, is the one you are going to enjoy the most, but perhaps you might stop and sort out the priorities. Also, is this expense all yours or are you being reimbursed for mileage? How long you keep it also is a factor. One or two years would be ideal for resale.

It's been pointed out that the FFH can do the job very well and with the eight year warranty that eliminates that objection. However it is going to be a little more complex and have issues along the way. (Read through here and you will spot some)

With the miles you will be putting on a diesel would get you your best return. They are built to last almost forever and the resale will be better than most cars including the FFH. When I was travelling every week all around the province I had a Rabbit diesel. So cheap to run. Today Jetta is a solid performer as is the Passat, but I would prefer the lower cost Jetta and it can be made quite comfortable with the right option package. A diesel eats up the miles without breaking a sweat.

Yes we all love our FFH's and think you would enjoy it, but....those miles and miles might not be a good decision financially. But then it's your call, your car and your money so do what you want. Just come back and tell us - we are a curious bunch. :)

GAP is a good option to have if you have a large finance on the vehicle and know that if for some reason the car gets totaled in a crash you will be upside down on it, paying for a car you no longer have. Been there, Done that. For me it was the best $600 insurance policy I ever had. Same goes for extended warranties, if you put on a lot of miles you can get a short term high mile warranty, and be covered for 125K miles. You dont have to get either of these from the Dealer, you can purchase both afterwards from independent companies, Flood Ford has the best prices on ESP.

For that kind of annual mileage, I would go with a Golf / Jetta TDI. Hybrids are not the optimal choice for long distance.

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to purchase a low-mileage 2013 Fusion Hybrid. I'm a die-hard Ford fan, but have mainly had trucks (ie. gas guzzlers). This will be my first hybrid...

I now drive about 210 miles per day, 4 to 5 times a week - upwards of 1,000 miles per week (rural driving). With me spinning the odometer like that, I'm wondering if this is the best choice in the long run - what I mean is, do you think it would be best to invest in a low mileage "econo-car" for about 12K, or the awesome Fusion Hybrid considering I will be putting an enormous amount of miles on it? I'm worried about it depreciating very fast, whereas an "econo-car" doesn't have very far to fall on the "worth-meter".

Beyond that, in my situation, is GAP insurance or extended warranty recommended?

Thank you for your time!

Your best option would be a Chevy Cruze Diesel, not a Ford but they don't give you a light duty diesel option. The Cruze Diesel is EPA rated at 45 mpg and users are reporting easily topping 50 mpg at highway speed. The Cruze Diesel does not have the reported problems you see with the VW TDI's (blown turbos in the Passat and High Pressure Fuel Pumps in the Jetta/Golf). If you are going with an automatic transmission the VW Diesel DSG will cost you another $400.00 every 40k miles for transmission fluid changes. The Cruze Diesel uses a conventional automatic and is warranted for up to B20 biodiesel where the VW Diesel generally only warrants up to B5 unless you live in Illinois.

Edited by darrelld

For that kind of annual mileage, I would go with a Golf / Jetta TDI. Hybrids are not the optimal choice for long distance.

I understand that diesels perform well on the highway but I'm skeptical the payoff is there. The 2014 Jetta turbo diesel is EPA rated at 42 MPG on the highway and the 2014 FFH is EPA rated at 41 MPG highway. Your mileage will vary significantly with both cars depending on driving style and road/terrain conditions. I'll even concede that the Jetta diesel is more likely to over achieve on the highway EPA as compared to the FFH.

For both of these cars you pay a premium over a standard gas version of the car so neither is a clear winner there. Where I live gas prices are currently $3.52/gallon and diesel prices are around $3.95/gallon. That is a 12.2% premium for the cost of diesel and that does not take into account the cost/hassle of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) that you have to deal with.

I'm skeptical that the diesel advantage is as significant as it is being portrayed here.

The price of diesel in your area does make a big difference. Congrats on the Fusion and I hope you get the mileage you are seeking. I knew when I traded my Passat TDI for my Fusion Hybrid there would be some loss of higway mileage but the tradeoff in reliability in the Fusions favor was worth it to me.