Sign in to follow this  
Tgederberg

Overfilling Oil

I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid. The owner's manual states that it takes 4.5 qts of oil. Whenever I get the oil changed at the dealer, it seems that they put 5 qts in it and the oil on the dipstick is above the max fill line. Is this a issue?

I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid. The owner's manual states that it takes 4.5 qts of oil. Whenever I get the oil changed at the dealer, it seems that they put 5 qts in it and the oil on the dipstick is above the max fill line. Is this a issue?

It depends on how much extra oil is in there.

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2148839/overfilling-oil-worst-case-scenario

The Owners Guide for 2010-12 says do not fill above the top mark as it may cause ENGINE DAMAGE. What does your manual say? If the same, take it to the dealer and show him the manual and have him drain some. When you measure it you should be on level ground and wait 15 minutes after shutdown.

Page 252 of the November 2012 printing of the Owner's Manual.

Note: Do not add oil further than the MAX mark. Oil levels above the MAX mark may cause engine damage.

But......it really DOES depend on how much extra is in there.

It is REALLY common for the standard refill amount to put it about 1/4 inch over the mark; many makes and models; motorcycles and lawn mowers too.

That probably is because of an incomplete drain out.

If they are using bulk oil, there is no reason for them to put in more than needs to be.

Are they charging you for 5 quarts ??

Normally the charge for an oil change is the same no matter if they use 4 or 6 quarts. It is a good idea to make sure they put in enough and not too much oil though. A little over isn't going to hurt the engine. It will have a well lubed bottom end though if the oil goes over the windage tray, the crank will splash it around a bit. If the crank though is churning through the oil, THAT will damage the engine as it causes the oil to foam and you cant pump foam through an engine.

The 2010-12 FFHs have had incidents of blowing huge amounts of white smoke on full throttle accelerations in right turns. This may be due to too high an oil level and the crankshaft hitting the oil surface which is slanted due to G's. Crankshafts in modern cars should never hit the liquid oil. They do not do "splash" lubrication. How much is too much? Ford says ( anything ) over the upper mark.

Edited by lolder

Get them to remove the excess oil. The maximum mark is the maximum amount of oil.

Edited by billford

Had my 10,000 miles service done today. And for those that read my other posts, DRL not enabled, right side dash display for POIs still doesn't work, and last but not least, they over filled my oil by half a quart.

I broke my own rule and did not check the level before I left. I called them and they implied the dipstick is wrong and the level is correct. I told them, "Gee that's funny. Because when you guys delivered the car to me the oil level was at the top of the full mark. The level now is well of the top hole ABOVE the full/add hashes. Are you saying you delivered the car to me a half quart low?"

It will not be driven until I can get it back to the dealer 40 miles away on Saturday. The attached picture has a red arrow that shows the level. The shot is of the back side of the stick, but you'll get the idea. If I did not have all service included at this dealer for 3 years or 36,000. I would be changing the oil myself. I think it may be time to try a local Ford dealer that just changed hands. Maybe the service rep, which is very good, from the other dealersip this guy owns will carry over to the one he just purchased.

post-11711-0-52784200-1401297847_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sleddog

Show them the paragraph in the owners manual about overfilling the oil. When measuring oil level, the car has to be level and measured at least 15 minutes after shutdown. These cars don't burn any oil between 10K changes so having the oil at 1/2 or 3/4 after a change means you won't even have to add any until the engine gets really old.

Edited by lolder

Even with my recent total knee replacement I decided to put the car on ramps and drain the oil myself. The cover came off with no issues. But to my surprise there was old oil all over the filter. There was no leak, these HACKS did not even clean up after themselves. They tighten the drain plug so tight I had to use a 12" breaker bar to loosen it

So I drained 16 ounces of oil.. And guess what, it's still over the full mark just at the top of the hole above the hashmarks. I'm going to have to drain it again. This time I'll take 8 more out and see what the level is at. I think they may have put 5.5 quarts in it.

But I'm done with the MORONS I have been going to. They have screwed up 6 out of 7 services on my Fords. I have the service agreement for 3/36000 that came with the car. I'll change my own oil and take it to them for the tire rotation.

The next time I go to them, I'll be sure I'm on my way to a 3 gun practice (I practice at a range near the dealership). This way I get to unload all my gun cases before they take the car in for service. I never leave my guns or ammo in a vehicle that I can not access immediately or leaves my line of sight. 2 case with tactical rifles, 2 shotgun cases, a range bag with my primary 45 tactical, and my 2 back up guns. Maybe I'll get the service advisor to carry my ammo cans. I wonder if that will give them the hint I'm not happy.

I'll have to fold the rear seat down, but I'll get it all in there. And that's just my practice gear. Unfortunately I can not get all my match gear in the Fusion.

Edited by Sleddog

You'll have fight your way in. Be sure to wear something easily identifiable. I have a heavy stand off weapon I'll be using to defend the homestead. I'm thinking a bright colorful clown suit with orange hair and oversize red shoes. It may be tuff to run in them, but I'll pick off the ones that get close. Whatever you do, don't wear a shirt from the dealership where the morons that serviced my fusion work, you will get picked off at long range. Wounded actually. Just enough for the zombies to catch up to you.

Edited by Sleddog

When the Zombie apocalypse happens, I know where I am heading!

I agree seems to be a pretty safe bet of survival.

You will know me, I will be driving an F350 4X4 with whirling machetes on all 4 corners, and covered in blood.

And guess what, it's still over the full mark just at the top of the hole above the hashmarks. I'm going to have to drain it again.

It depends on how FAR over the full mark it IS.

If it 1/4 inch or less.........you don't "have" to do any such thing.......and it will be just fine.

Isn't it a bit messy to remove oil by using the drain bolt ??

don't wear a shirt from the dealership where the morons that serviced my fusion work,

Since you are in my general vicinity, would you mind naming that dealer please ?

It depends on how FAR over the full mark it IS.

If it 1/4 inch or less.........you don't "have" to do any such thing.......and it will be just fine.

Isn't it a bit messy to remove oil by using the drain bolt ??

If it's over the top of the full hashmark, it's over full. Didn't you view the picture I posted. While a 1/4" over is good for you, for me it's over filled. As for the "have to", it's all about attention to detail. Will you warranty my engine for the "just fine" overfill? I guess in other words, it's my engine, it's only supposed to have 4.5 quarts, like it came from the factory (oil at the top of the hashmark). I took 16 ounces out so far, more needs to be removed. Just how much is ok? What happens if I need to remove another 16 ounces to get it correct? The manufacture calls out the fill quanity for a reason. Draining is no problem, you back the plug out and use the it to control the flow of the oil.

Do you work for that dealership? You should go there, have them do sub-standard work, since an overfill is ok with you. Then try and prove your case if something happens to your engine.

It's the lack of attention to detail that seems to be the norm for alot of people, and that I don't understand. Would you put up with this lack when your doctor is operating on you? Would you put up with it when an A/C company installs a 7500.00 system in your house? Would you put up with it when a manufacture designs a safety system that protects your life or the life of your family? If you answered no to any of those, why would you put up with it when someone services a vehicle you and your familly are riding in? If you will not accept it in one area, why allow it in others? So if poor service is acceptable to you, do you pass that type quality or lack of it on to others when you do your work?

Today we seem to reward just particpating with a trophy and a pat on the back. Kids sports are an example of it. You show up, and you get a reward. And those that excel, see it makes no difference what they do, because everyone gets the same benefits. So why be outstanding? And it carries over to they way some people work and how they feel they should do their work. "I'll just short cut it, my boss won't know, the customer won't know and I still get PAID! Who cares? I just want to get it done as fast as possible so I can get done for the day."

Why do your very best when some people will except sub-standard work and say it's ok.

The reason for the edit was to correct some grammar. I was headed out the door to the match when writing it...

Edited by Sleddog

Wow, you channeled me! What you said is true on so many levels it is sickening. Like the education system. Educate at the lowest common denominator. So the best and brightest are brought down to the level of the least smartest kid.

If the oil level is a hair above full, I can live with it, but a 1/4" over, nope. Ideally the oil level should be right in the middle of the hash mark to give room for expansion as it heats up. The thing is, the engine really only needs a few ounces of oil while running, but the capacity is there to keep it cool and to carry out contaminants and slow the break down of lubricant and additives. It doesnt need to be topped off to the max though. Too much and you could wind up foaming the oil as the crank splashes though it. Too much splash and you could wind up sucking oil past the rings and foul the plugs and cats.

Since I would be guessing how much oil to remove I decided to change the oil and filter. It was 20 bucks well spent. With what I drained today, and yesterday, they overfilled the oil by over a quart.

So they put 5.5 quarts in an engine spec'ed for 4.5. Folks, do yourself a favor and double check your levels before you leave the dealer.

Edited by Sleddog

Ok folks.. Here's confirmation on the oil level and dipstick reading. Drove 10 miles with the ICE on most of the way. Of course this killed my tank MPG. It drop from 55.4 to 54.3, but the ICE was warmed up. I let it sit for 10 minutes per the manual, checked the level, and it was at the top of the hashmarks on the stick. Just like it when it was delivered to me.

Again, check the levels if the fluids are serviced.

Edited by Sleddog

Was a post of mine deleted from this thread ?

If so......Mods.......don't you think it would be courteous and even maybe instructive to NOTIFY me of that fact ?????

Otherwise I might just think it didn't "take" and post it again.

I understand that people NEED to think that they are taking perfect care of their "babys" but..............

No car ever made will be harmed by having the oil level 1/4 inch above the full mark on the stick.

And draining out oil by loosening the drain plug often results in a dropped bolt and most or ALL of the oil draining out.

Cheers.

And draining out oil by loosening the drain plug often results in a dropped bolt and most or ALL of the oil draining out.

Only if you are not capable of understanding the technique or executing it correctly. If you would like, I'll do a YouTube video to show you the technique. Perhaps that will enlighten you to what others have to offer on this forum. It may help you think outside the box. I guess batteries are more important to you than correct fluid levels. You take care of your vehicle, we'll take care of ours. There is no reason to belittle anyone because they have a different view then yours. You seem to spend a lot of time doing just that.

Edited by Sleddog