Sitting here watching DWTS with my wife and there is this car commercial, Looked like a Ford, but wasn't quite sure, didn't look like a typical Ford commercial. They talk about distractions and people who don't pay attention to their surroundings. It was a Fusion and they emphasized the BLIS!

Really liked the wheels they had on that one too.

Think Ford is listening to us?

Notice, I am posting on the Forum. Besides, whats wrong with watching scantily clad women shaking what they got?

I saw the commercial, but being a motorcycle rider I am so very opposed to these "nanny" features that car makers are stuffing down our throats.

Pay attention to your surroundings when you drive!!!!!

Anything added to a car that keeps you from thinking is a bad idea, Just how long do you think it will be before the first lawsuit happens..."But your honor, the little yellow light wasn't lit so I pulled into the lane" Never mind that you just made someone husband-less or father-less, the yellow light wasn't on, so what the heck, pull over! NOT GUILTY!!!

A nightmare.

Sitting here watching DWTS with my wife and there is this car commercial, Looked like a Ford, but wasn't quite sure, didn't look like a typical Ford commercial. They talk about distractions and people who don't pay attention to their surroundings. It was a Fusion and they emphasized the BLIS!

Really liked the wheels they had on that one too.

Think Ford is listening to us?

Is the commercial online anywhere to watch? I haven't seen it on TV.

I saw the commercial, but being a motorcycle rider I am so very opposed to these "nanny" features that car makers are stuffing down our throats.

Pretty short sighted, if you ask me.

And I've been a bike rider for about 45 years now.

How about rear view mirrors and turn signals........do you think those are just "distractions" too ??

Maybe going back to riding horses would be better. :)

AND it would be news to me if anyone was FORCED to buy a car with all those gadgets on it.

I do have a problem with government intrusion though.....and I think the mandate for backup cameras is a little silly.

and I think the mandate for backup cameras is a little silly.

But Think of the Chidren! Poor little Timmy got run over because Mommy was too distracted talking on her cell phone to know her little boy was playing behind her car when she was backing up. If she had a backup camera she would have known! <the argument I saw related to the BUC law.

And for those who think the BLIS doesn't help, have never used it. In vehicles with big blind spots, like the Flex, the BLIS system is a life saver. I was so glad they finally added it to the 2013 models. It DOES work for bikes too, in case you thought it didn't. Then again most of them are so obnoxiously loud, if you can't hear them you shouldn't be driving.

I love the safety features, and paid extra for them. Wish they had been standard.

After you get run over by a driver that was not paying attention, you'll change your mind.

After you get run over by a driver that was not paying attention, you'll change your mind.

That unfortunately sounds like you had a personal encounter with someone like that.

I like to think that I'm paying a lot of attention while driving and for me the electronic helpers are just added security for me and others while driving.

Generally I'm with you there are way too many people that think like you said. The gimmick will take care of me when I'm not paying attention because I need send a very important text message.

Anything added to a car that keeps you from thinking is a bad idea, Just how long do you think it will be before the first lawsuit happens..."But your honor, the little yellow light wasn't lit so I pulled into the lane" Never mind that you just made someone husband-less or father-less, the yellow light wasn't on, so what the heck, pull over! NOT GUILTY!!!

A nightmare.

They call it BLIND SPOT for a reason - why would anyone object to a tool that eliminates it?

You have that tool built in to your body and have had it since us humans decided to walk upright...IT'S CALLED TURNING YOUR HEAD.

Sitting here watching DWTS with my wife and there is this car commercial.

You may want to stop and pick up a Y chromosome next time you are out running around. Just saying.

I do NOT buy into that.

It would be much more effective just to eliminate ALL the vehicles tomorrow.

That would 100% ensure that nobody is ever killed by one again.

If I am stupid enough to walk behind a moving car without paying REAL close attention to what the driver is doing........then I probably deserve most of what happens to me as a result.

So.....are these back up cameras also going to be equipped with backup hazard alarms ??

If not, their usefulness goes WAY down because you must trust the driver to actually LOOK at the screen.

And the bottom line is: It is not the governments JOB to protect EVERYBODY from EVERYTHING.

Or at least it should not be.

Next some government agency will figure out how to MANDATE the driver to actually LOOK at the screen and if they don't it will be a criminal offense.

Much like mandating the USE of seat belts. NOT A PROPER EXERCISE OF THE GOVERNMENTS LAW MAKING POWERS. NOT, NOT, NOT.

You may want to stop and pick up a Y chromosome next time you are out running around. Just saying.

I only look when scantily clad women are bouncing around, the rest of the time i am on the computer. Always on the look out for a wardrobe malfunction.

I do NOT buy into that.

If I am stupid enough to walk behind a moving car without paying REAL close attention to what the driver is doing........then I probably deserve most of what happens to me as a result.

So.....are these back up cameras also going to be equipped with backup hazard alarms ??

If not, their usefulness goes WAY down because you must trust the driver to actually LOOK at the screen.

And the bottom line is: It is not the governments JOB to protect EVERYBODY from EVERYTHING.

Next some government agency will figure out how to MANDATE the driver to actually LOOK at the screen and if they don't it will be a criminal offense.

Much like mandating the USE of seat belts. NOT A PROPER EXERCISE OF THE GOVERNMENTS LAW MAKING POWERS. NOT, NOT, NOT.

You're making way too many assumptions

Edited by Griswald

I do NOT buy into that.

Chill. It's all good. Remember there are 2 things your never discuss at a party. Politics and religion. It causes hard feelings. If you have a political axe to grind, this may not be the best place to do it. Let get back to acdii DWTS obsession. Acdii, tell us more about the wardrobe malfunctions. Pictures please.

Acdii, tell us more about the wardrobe malfunctions. Pictures please.

I would but it would violate Forum guidelines. The last one a couple weeks ago was quite revealing.

A nightmare.

Oh, Griswald, I don't think you could be more wrong about blind-spot warning systems. It's such a great safety feature that I predict that it will eventually be mandated, just like everything from seat belts to tire-pressure monitors that started out as options and proved themselves through years of good service. I mean, it's called a "blind spot" for a good reason. No matter how aware one is, it's possible for a car in an adjacent lane to be in a position where one simply cannot see it. That's what it's for; it's not intended to make the driver less vigilant, and I don't believe it will.

And as regards safety regulations, as much as I despise the federal government, this may be a legitimate function. To wit, I see motorcyclists all the time claiming that not wearing a helmet should be their right because it's their life. That would be fine, if they didn't go around making themselves into vegetables that then require other members of society to spend millions and millions of dollars to care for them in their vegetative states.

Oh, Griswald, I don't think you could be more wrong about blind-spot warning systems. It's such a great safety feature that I predict that it will eventually be mandated, just like everything from seat belts to tire-pressure monitors that started out as options and proved themselves through years of good service. I mean, it's called a "blind spot" for a good reason. No matter how aware one is, it's possible for a car in an adjacent lane to be in a position where one simply cannot see it. That's what it's for; it's not intended to make the driver less vigilant, and I don't believe it will.

And as regards safety regulations, as much as I despise the federal government, this may be a legitimate function. To wit, I see motorcyclists all the time claiming that not wearing a helmet should be their right because it's their life. That would be fine, if they didn't go around making themselves into vegetables that then require other members of society to spend millions and millions of dollars to care for them in their vegetative states.

I agree with all your points.

Also, getting back to the original post of this thread...has anyone been able to find this video online? We don't have cable and only watch TV online so we almost never see commercials since most online replays of shows from Comcast don't have any commercials.

Oh, Griswald, I don't think you could be more wrong about blind-spot warning systems.

Speaking of the "blind spot warning", am I the only one who thinks it would be a LOT more effective if the little light was a tiny bit bigger AND placed on the inside edge of the mirror instead of the outside ?? And maybe blinking too ??

I like it but find that it doesn't get my attention when it should.

You have that tool built in to your body and have had it since us humans decided to walk upright...IT'S CALLED TURNING YOUR HEAD.

That as maybe, but then you are not capable of any attention to the direction of travel during the time that your head is turned and would not be able to spot any deceleration or any further increase in deceleration of the vehicle that you are intending to pass.

BLIS enables the driver to spend more time paying attention to the view forward whilst still having some awareness of anything alongside.