gaken

Hybrid Coolant Flush Questions - Much Fusion Confusion

Motor / electronics change at 100k also. It's up front and I don;t know where the drain is. Tell the dealer to contact Ford and when they know how to do it to call you.

Coolant breaks down over time, so even if the electronic system doesn't generate much heat, the corrosion protection does break down, so it should be replaced as scheduled. There is a drain in the cooling system that they drain it from, and then fill it up with fresh coolant.

For $100 they had better have changed both. What you can do is ask the dealer where the other drain is at. If you get deer in the headlights look, you can bet it wasn't changed.

There is no battery coolant in the Fusion. There is the ICE, and the Inverter/Motor coolant system. The inverter system doesnt get nearly as hot as the ICE does, The temps are nearly constant once it reaches peak. They need to be separate from each other since the temps from the ICE would overheat the other system. I think HB posted somewhere they only get to about 125*.

2012 Engine coolant change:

worksho1.pdf

2012 Motor electronics coolant change

worksho.pdf

Both are from the service manual. I don't have a 2012 so I cant comment on how difficult the procedures are.

Edited by billford

I guess when the forum changed the files were lost for the 2012 Fusion Hybrid coolant replacement.

Here they are again. ...I tried it and they work.

In the past, I have uploaded a lot of info to this fusion forum. I haven't checked but I guess they are all lost also...

Let me know if you need more info...

2012 Fusion Hybrid Coolant Drain, Fill, Bleed.pdf Motor Electronics Drain and Fill.pdf

Edited by billford

12 hours ago, bmatt said:

I have a 2013 cmax hybrid and am looking for confirmation that the engine coolant (the pre-diluted recommended coolant) and the inverter coolant are the same fluid (it seems that way in the owners manual but not its not completely explicit).  I think its the same as the "motor electronics fluid" referred to in this thread. 

Both the engine and  motor electronics use orange coolant. 

Edited by billford

On 6/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, Hpsportsfanatic said:

Just got quotes for 150-210 to do the inverter system.  That seems quite pricey...

It is. The procedure for the inverter system is to remove the hose, drain the fluid by tipping the inverter coolant reservoir up 30 degrees, and filling it back up while burping it.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Hpsportsfanatic said:

I’m stuck on draining and refilling the inverter for a 2014 Ford Fusion hybrid.  The manual says nothing and the attachments won’t load above.  Any ideas how to do it? I’ve searched everywhere

The service manual is available on eBay for $12.99. I'll put the instructions here.

On 2/11/2020 at 1:15 AM, billford said:

Both the engine and  motor electronics use orange coolant. 

The orange coolant is now superseded by the yellow coolant, but the engine and the inverter cooling systems both use the same type of antifreeze according to the manual. Pictures of the appropriate pipe to drain from and the screws to remove from the inverter reservoir are below. System holds 1.1 quarts according to the manual. The steps are as follows:

1. Place transmission selector in park.
  1. Start the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal and START button until the ready to drive indicator is illuminated. Note: The gas engine may or may not start. Confirm the SOBDMC / TCM coolant pump is running by feeling for vibration at the pump.
  1. Watch for air bubbles in the coolant expansion tank for the SOBDMC / TCM . Add coolant to the coolant expansion tank if the level falls below the MIN mark. Bleeding is complete when bubbling stops.
    Material : Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted / VC-3DIL-B (WSS-M97B44-D2)
  1. Turn off ignition. Check and fill the coolant expansion tank until the coolant level is between the MIN and MAX marks.
    Material : Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted / VC-3DIL-B (WSS-M97B44-D2)
  1. Repeat steps 2 through 4 if necessary.

SDE~us~en~file=E157443_EUR_580_JPG~gen~ref.JPG

SDE~us~en~file=E157443_EUR_580_JPG~gen~ref2.JPG

19 hours ago, hytibill said:

It is. The procedure for the inverter system is to remove the hose, drain the fluid by tipping the inverter coolant reservoir up 30 degrees, and filling it back up while burping it.

The service manual is available on eBay for $12.99. I'll put the instructions here.

The orange coolant is now superseded by the yellow coolant, but the engine and the inverter cooling systems both use the same type of antifreeze according to the manual. Pictures of the appropriate pipe to drain from and the screws to remove from the inverter reservoir are below. System holds 1.1 quarts according to the manual. The steps are as follows:

1. Place transmission selector in park.
  1. Start the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal and START button until the ready to drive indicator is illuminated. Note: The gas engine may or may not start. Confirm the SOBDMC / TCM coolant pump is running by feeling for vibration at the pump.
  1. Watch for air bubbles in the coolant expansion tank for the SOBDMC / TCM . Add coolant to the coolant expansion tank if the level falls below the MIN mark. Bleeding is complete when bubbling stops.
  1. Turn off ignition. Check and fill the coolant expansion tank until the coolant level is between the MIN and MAX marks.
  1. Repeat steps 2 through 4 if necessary.

Your right, the orange coolant is being phased out and yellow coolant is being used for top ups and full fills. This started several months ago.