DroidGeek

Defect on rear license plate panel

I think I would just put a licence plate holder over it and move on. I understand your concern, but I suspect it really isn't a flaw, rather something designed to accommodate different sized plates - like the European? Could also be that way to provide structural support? Not sure, but again, is it really a big deal?

Maybe a picture or two might help change my mind at least.

That site requires logging in and since I really don't need more sites and passwords I will respectfully decline and have to take your word for it.

Okay I see what you see. And I went and checked my car as well. I also have them, but the dirt covered them up. Now the bad news. Those are designed into the car to accommodate the different markets where the car is sold for plating purposes. It's too bad that they are that obvious, but I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it.

If it bothers you that much, find a badge or a decal that you can place over them. ;)

Well turning a negative into a positive, anyone who spots it - just tell them your car is so popular Ford had to add those little indents to cater to all the markets that want it. :shift:

How about the Z probably not since it's US only right?

The Zs plate is down between the twin tailpipes surrounded by that wonderful textured plastic crap. :) Actually, the Z will be sold in Europe and China, from what I understand.

That's my thinking to HB. But the question still remains... What the heck does the factory DO with those marks? Are they markers as to where to drill the hole for the license plate hold down? Are there really THAT many different sized plates in the world, and what country has what size? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

P.S. Has anyone looked behind the US plate to see if there is a similar mark?

Edited by SteveB_TX

These marks are quite noticeable on my Fusion also.

I was wondering how it would look if that rear inset area was painted textured flat black.

gallery_11865_305_356458.png

Edited by vangonebuy

Just look at European license plates they would fill out most of the panel insert.

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/general/XX_STDE.html

I believe those are some of if not the longest plates.

Yep. Molds are not cheap, so making a universal mold for all models is the way to go. I have had mine for nearly a year and never really noticed it, if I did ignore it based on knowing it is probably there for a reason.