BiXLL

Toyota Avalon Hybrid vs Ford Fusion Hybrid

Most people don't get 47. I'm pretty close (48.4 MPG by the car's gauge, 46.5 by manual calculations). It takes a lot of work and mild Arizona winters to get that high. That said, it should still be better MPG than the Avalon Hybrid.

According to FuelEconomy.gov (link below), the 2013/14 Ford Fusion Hybrid averages 40 MPG compared to 38 MPG for the 2013/2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34312&id=33083&id=34486&id=33373

The Fusion Hybrid definitely has a smooth and quiet ride - the best of any car I've been in - though I haven't ridden in an Avalon Hybrid so I can't give a direct comparison there.

Edited by Ted Swing

I haven't seen the new Avalon in person yet, but overall, I find Toyota to be very overrated and extremely bland, so I would never choose the Avalon over the Fusion. Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision!

I agree with you generally, but I find the new Avalon to be by far the best looking Toyota.

Edited by Ted Swing

As mentioned by CC, I did test drive an Avalon while owning a real bastritch of a FFH. If not for the exorbitant price tag, I might have one now(thankfully it was way over priced). It is comfortable, more than the Titanium trim. Not as much as the Luxury package. Has almost every feature of the Fusion, except for the lane keep assist. It is a slightly larger car too.

Side by side, they are pretty equal with options, and the quality was pretty good, Much better than the Camry. The test drive returned 40 MPG in winter driving, but I had to work it to get it. It is still only 2nd generation HSD, no where near as refined as the 2nd gen Fusion, however, being the tried and true HSD, when it say it gets X EPA, it gets X EPA. The margin is very small, very much like the 1st gen Fusion. Since I owned a 2nd Gen Prius, and TCH, I know it would get near its EPA numbers.

Back to the Fusion though, a fully loaded up Energi costs less than a loaded up Avalon, and even if the Energi only returned 40 MPG on Hybrid mode, you still come out ahead. A fully loaded up HyTi is much lower than the Avalon base. What you can expect to see in average driving, based on 7 years of driving hybrids, is 38-43 MPG in the Fusion. And mine is pretty much spot on(though I did get over 47 this afternoon on the way home). The good news is it looks like Ford has most of the kinks worked out with the 2014 models, haven't really had complaints here regarding poor MPG.

Avalon's have been really nice "luxury" cars for years. I drive a 2010 FFH and a 2004 3.0L V6 Avalon. The Avalon is slightly quieter, smoother riding and larger. What was the price difference between the FFH and TAH ? Toyota hybrids are bulletproof, for the most part except for a SUV that had problems a while back. The Avalon hybrid will get within a few mpg of the FFH so it will cost just a little more to operate and buy. Personal choice for a buyer.

Edited by lolder

Being in Canada we cannot get the Avalon in Hybrid trim. Toyota won't let us have them and maybe it's because they can only produce so many and the US sales consume them. I liked the Avalon and three years ago I wanted one. New one is even better looking, but up here ToyFina had interest rates that were not going to make it practical.

So when my Ford dealer came along last year and teased me with the FFH, I was very interested. They didn't have one to drive, so I came here and relied on the many happy owners on this forum and their experiences to guide me. Regrets - none. I wanted the SE and got the sport package and a few other necessities. My reward - yesterday my first time driving on the highway since February, got me 51 mpg on a 15 mile trip. To be Canadian that was 4.6 liters per 100 km on a 21 km trip.

Impressed - yup and still loving the car. I know I could have got better results, but my right foot felt heavy and the speeds seemed to creep up on me. I caught myself doing 120 km per hour and our limit is 100. That's 75 mph in US speak! Ooops. :ohsnap:

I drive a Fusion hybrid (Titanium) and my wife drives an Avalon Hybrid (Touring). Both are generally quiet, but the Fusion does have more drone or growl when the engine is running and providing normal acceleration. The Avalon engine is much quieter in normal operation. Both engines get "buzzy" when accelerating hard. The engine start up and shut down in my Fusion is basically un-noticable. The Avalon engine tends to shut down with a bit of a shudder, and it often doesn't shut down until after you've stopped, so that makes it more noticable. The Fusion's engine drone is my biggest gripe about an otherwise excellent car. It wouldn't bug me so much if I didn't have the Avalon to compare it to.

The Avalon has basic instrumentation for monitoring the hybrid operation, while the Fusion has many screens and coaching guides. That was a very strong plus for me - I'm a data junkie. My wife just wants a nice car to drive, and she thinks the Avalon is perfect for her.

In the Fusion, I've struggled to get above 47 MPG on any one trip, and my best tank so far is 41.1 MPG. The Avalon regularly meets or exceeds it's rated 40 MPG. You can click on my Fuelly links below to see our track record for each car. Note that cold winter temperatures really hurt the numbers for both cars. They are just now coming back up to the "good" numbers. We have similar driving distances and patterns. I work hard to get the best MPG I can, where as she just drives the Avalon like a "normal" car.

The Avalon has a slightly larger interior and I think the trunk space is more usable, having a larger contiguous floor area. The battery shelf in the Fusion breaks up the trunk into 2 sections making it harder to fit large items. The Fusion does have fold-down rear seats and a trunk pass-through, where the Avalon hybrid has no pass-through at all. I've carried 2'x8' sheets of plywood in my Fusion.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either car.

This pretty much nails it. My coworker bought an Avalon Hybrid a few months after I bought my Fusion Hybrid. The avalon is bigger and roomier, a touch quieter, a bit smoother rid, and it also get's 36+ mpg without trying. The technology isn't as good though. Some people hate ford's Sync, but it's leagues better than Toyota's Entune in my opinion. Both are very nice and in my opinion the 2 best options for a hybrid sedan (haven't tried the lexus 300h though).

Edited by jsolan

Some trims are very hard to find. When my Flex got totaled I could not find another one like it anywhere, unless it had $2k in dvd players I dont need or want. Difference being, there were NONE across the country to be had. Some of these cars are all or nothing at most dealers, only special orders can get you what you really want.

Well fellas, it appears that by default the Toyota wins out for me. My sales rep did a search of 250 miles and could not come up with a Ruby Red Titanium. Best she could offer was ordering a 2015 which would not be eligible for any incentives and be 8 to 10 weeks out. Thanks for all of you taking your time to express your opinions, I truly appreciate it.

Enjoy your Avalon. It is a very good looking car and although it isn't a Fusion, we promise to be nice to you if you drop by once in a while and update us on your decision. ;)

Yeah I wont berate an Avalon owner, really is the only Toyota I would ever want to drive. Now get a Prius and watch out! :)