James Sentman

Feature Request: Let me hold the OK button to put off starting the gas engine

That would actually cost you more in fuel than just driving it normally. The HVB is not designed to handle that kind of current draw, and if forced, the pack could degenerate quickly. The more you ask out of the motor the ore amps it will draw, which quickly depletes the pack. The HVB is rated at a maximum current draw to avoid damage, exceed it and it will overheat and damage the cells.

Driven normally, using the ICE/EV blend will get you the most MPG. When you deplete the HVB, the ICE has to recharge it and propel the car at the same time, so if you are at highway speeds, I found that keeping the battery at its peak charge is netting me the most MPG. In City driving where you can capture some of that energy when braking, using EV works best. The trip I posted the other day where I got 46.9 MPG on my trip into work was done just like that. Got the battery fully charged and kept it there while doing 60 MPH, then when I reached 35 MPH zones I used EV/Regen/ICE. My start from stop is EV to about 15 then ICE kicks on to get me up to speed. I keep it at 2 bars on Empower until I reach my speed, then back off to get the most out of it and maintain speed.

With time you get muscle memory though and get to the point where you no longer have to look at the screen to know where it is. For some it would be seat feel, others hearing. Since SOC is a huge variable, I think it would be difficult to create the pedal feel since it varies so much. After 22K miles I can tell just how much pressure I need to stay in EV, how much to back off to drop into EV, and how much I need to stay at the threshold that is just above EV to stay out of it to maximize highway miles.

Sit with it in park and press on the go pedal, It will start the ICE and charge the pack. Or like I do, drive it at 60 MPH and don't let it go into EV, and when you slow to a stop you can get a full charge. Down side is when you accelerate back to 60 it uses some of that charge so it will sit at or about 70%. If you have remote start, with Heat or AC on, it will also fully charge it.

I get that and it makes perfect sense. But they already give me that readout of the crossover threshold and if I watch the dial I can keep the car in electric mode when I’m not going to be accelerating very much or very quickly no problem. I can already do this, so it can’t be bad for the battery or motor or even for MPG. All I really want is to be able to do that without watching the gage in the dash. If I’m holding the button then just max out power at what it would give me if I WAS reading the gauge and ignore any slightly over zealous or inexact accelerator placement until I let go of the button.

I see what you're asking for and it is something they could add, but I suspect they won't because it would lead a lot of people to decrease their MPG. If you think about it, any trip over 2 miles is guaranteed to use the ICE some of the time. The question is when do you use the ICE?

Optimally, you would use ICE for acceleration and EV for cruising and deceleration, because the ICE is most efficient at acceleration and least efficient at cruising/deceleration and the EV is just the opposite. That's what Acdii and Hybridbear were getting at. If you always accelerated in EV mode, then you will run out of charge more quickly and have the ICE kick in sooner while cruising, which again, it's less efficient for. It would lead to lower MPG. Given all the headaches Ford has had with the EPA numbers, I don't think they'd want to add an option to the car that leads people to get lower MPG.

I think your idea's not so far off, though. I would like a mode that tries to keep it in EV for very short trips. I hate it when I'm going half a mile or a mile and the ICE runs almost the whole time even though I could've done it in EV and then recharged the battery on another, longer trip where warming it up would make a difference.

hmm 15 MPG more, or, better handling, more comfort, nicer looking, more power, more options. Close call. After 30K miles in the Fusion, and 22K in a Prius, Fusion wins. When I had the Prius I could not wait to get to where I was going, now its, oh man, here already?4

BTW, after you drive for a few thousand miles, it will become natural to drive efficiently and not need to look at the screens.

Agree 100% on the seat memory, I understand the reason why though. I had a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz, and one of the memory settings had the seat folding up towards the steering wheel and that car let you change memoery settings in gear. Had I hit that setting I would have crashed for sure.

BTW the FFH can park itself. LOL Makes it much easier to park than any car(of course you have to have that option installed). Bet my MKT parks easier too, it came with it and it does work. The P is a City car for sure, not going to argue that, and I think you pretty much summed it up totally, Can't beat the Fusion outside of the city.