IraF

Navigation Map A5

Got in to the social site--decided to work this time. There are several map related suggestions, some going back to 2010. Does IVT respond to these suggestions, or close them when they are adopted? How does this work?

That $700 is for more than just maps, it includes the tie in to the entire vehicles system. Except for one thing, all it takes is the activation code and the flash card. All MFT equipped cars have the hardware already installed. The rest is software. From what I read a while back when I was looking to maybe update my 2010 maps, the DVD included some updates to the navigation firmware, but I couldn't confirm that to be true. They do include the Gracenotes that updates the album database for Sync.

Still not worth $200 to update it unless you can update more than one car if you own multiple Fords. Since I have two 13 models with NAV being able to update both from one would be great, but we know that will never happen.

I don't know about that acdii. My titanium came with the MFT, which has all the system tie-ins in place. The navigation option gives me a $700 SD card and puts me on some VIN registry that says this vehicle has the navigation option. I wouldn't be so vocal if the navigation was at least as good as current portable navigation units.

The facts are:

The UI isn't intuitive--in fact it is just slow and unresponsive.

The maps are old from the factory.

It cost money to upgrade the maps.

The navigation is outperformed by the free Google maps on my android phone.

I should have got the heated steering wheel or the sunroof instead.

The fact is that automotive companies make their profits on options. Of course it doesn't cost Ford $700 to put navigation on a vehicle, but that profit offsets the losses everywhere else. Getting 10 percent of the people to pay $700 for navigation offsets the losses of putting a required emissions or safety device on every car, for example.

Bottom line is that if Ford were to charge less for navigation, they would have to charge more for something else. Garmin doesn't have that option in their business model.

That really doesn't make sense to me. If I ordered my car without navigation, I save $700. They would not have charged me more somewhere else, just because I didn't buy the navigation option.

Got in to the social site--decided to work this time. There are several map related suggestions, some going back to 2010. Does IVT respond to these suggestions, or close them when they are adopted? How does this work?

Good question, Bryan.

The website is not specific to In-Vehicle Technology suggestions. It is open to all new ideas about Ford vehicles and products. The In-Vehicle Technology team will not review these ideas; however, our product development team will go through these ideas to get a better understanding of what the customers would like to see and get inspiration for future development opportunities.

Kim

That really doesn't make sense to me. If I ordered my car without navigation, I save $700. They would not have charged me more somewhere else, just because I didn't buy the navigation option.

Read what he said again. The $700 helps offset costs of devices in all cars. The people who buy nav help offset other costs to keep the overall costs down on the car. What Waldo said makes perfect business sense. Its what Cell phone companies do, they sell you a phone for 1/4 the cost of it, and make up the difference from every one in the packages.

He beat me to it.

Edited by acdii

You guys sure do defend an overpriced, hard to use, and out of date navigation system with gusto! It's cool. Maybe it makes you feel better about your purchase. I just feel ripped off about the whole thing.

I just turn the voice and beeps off and use the right hand dash display. Here's one good thing about the built in Nav, you want have to worry about forgetting to take it out of the window and have some low life smash and grab it.

Why are you so angry about it?

I mean you bought it; you paid $700 for it and it seems like you didn't even look at it before you signed the dotted line.

Also it's not like that you are the very first person to complain about certain features and if wanna buy something I do some good research before hand.

If a certain number of people complain about the same thing I either don't consider it at all or I will take a look myself and evaluate it for my needs.

$700 is a lot of money for a in vehicle NAV option and personally nothing I would ever pay for not even a 1/4 of the price.

I just get more frustrated with my decision every time I look at it or have to use it. I just expected more for my money.