Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Burch

Is Applink ever coming to MyFord Touch?

Why all the secrecy? Seriously though, if they can't get it right make it open source.....release it, and the community will thrive.

Rumor has it that there is another major update for MFT in the next few months, possibly by September.

Yep! LOL My rumor came from my service adviser. He wouldn't say something like this without having heard it himself from Ford. The next one is supposed to fix the Ambient light issue as well as a few other glitches it still has. No word yet on if they will have Applink in it. They might, and are just holding off until it is ready to be distributed.

Agreed, I've had my car for a year now and have been reading "please hold", rather than "this us what we are doing, and this is when we are doing it" from Ford.. Ford, why all the smoke and mirrors on rolling out software upgrades, and firm, company positions on supported or unsupported? To the casual observer,topics such as this feel a bit lackadaisical, no?

My guess is the reason they don't announce anything is the possibility of failure. I'm sure they're working on migrating old versions to QNX, but what if they come across some bug or something that makes it either impossible or extremely intrusive/costly to do the migration. They can bow out of the conversion without having promised anything to anyone. While I'm sure that will annoy a number of drivers who won't be able to get the upgrade, it will affect much fewer than if they had announced the migration to QNX and support for xyz in the upcoming release and never actually achieve it. Or worse, they announce, "All systems from 2010 will be upgraded by XXX date". Then the developers run into the showstopping bug, but are forced to release it anyway because of the marketing announcement. Now we're left with terrible software that doesn't work right and Ford is left with a huge black eye.

In a day of fast travelling news, not releasing information is all about risk mitigation.

Funny there are aftermarket radios that have App Link. I have been researching them for my Freestyle.