2014FordFusionSE

Got Active grille shutters? Buzzing/humming sound when switched off?

I can't speak for the non-hybrid crowd, but grill shutters are standard on all 2013-14 MKZ and Fusion hybrids. :)

I can't speak for the non-hybrid crowd, but grill shutters are standard on all 2013-14 MKZ and Fusion hybrids. :)

I am not aware of them on my FFH, but assuming the information is correct, what happened in the winter when people stuffed their grilles with foam to help with the car heating up faster? Did that affect the shutters? Seems to me it might and so I am asking.

Grill covers increase aerodynamics more than the shutters do, but when closed they block a lot of the turbulent air that flows through the radiator into the engine compartment and redirects the flow to under the car. Every little bit helps. It is also not new technology, shutters have been used all the way back to WWII on fighters and bombers. When they need cooling they open the shutters on the oil and radiator coolers, and close them when they dont to help improve airflow.

1" diameter increase in tire size has a much larger impact than a spoiler would ever have(unless its one of those god awful ricer ones). Hybridbear knows what I am referring to with tires. His first one had 17" his new one 18", and different tires too.

The two available tires on the FFH aren't different in diameter by 1", only the wheels are. Overall tire diameter will make a big difference in how it affects the overall gearing, but the wheel size has nothing to do with fuel efficiency by itself, it's all depending on the tire construction and compounding.

I meant to say wheel size, not tire. The larger wheel has more mass to overcome, plus the tires on the 18 aren't as good LRR wise as the 17" Michelins. Both of these factor in to lower fuel economy over the 17" equipped FFH.