Allegany

Rear Fusion Rattle

Mine appears to have been Ice buildup in the trailing arms. The thunk went away once temps were above 40*. The other weird noise I had was the air compressor bouncing in the trunk. Made it reverbrate through the car going over a hard bump. I have not had a single rattle or thunk in about 4 weeks. There was one time it made very unusual noise squeaking, thrumming, reverbrating when I was the only one in the car, made it all the way into the dealers lot, then the tech got in, and I went to show him what I did to have it make the noise. Nothing! Noise was gone. Thats when I discovered the air compressor causing some thunks over hard bumps. For all I know, taking it out and putting it back in solved the problem as I have not had one single instance of noise in the rear since.

Make sure your rear license plate is tight as it causes a rattle over bumpy surfaces.

If you have not already, you might check for something loose in the spare tire wheel well. Just a thought.

The parts have been on order for months now - still awaiting them to schedule the work. I called a few weeks ago and the service writer said that they are having difficulty in obtaining the parts - not sure i understand that, since they should be common for all Fusions. I don't think there is anything unique with the shock assembly on a hybrid. The service writer states that the replacement part (the shock) has a different part number from the original - suggesting that it has been redesigned.

That seems to indicate that you are not the only FFH owner that has experienced and reported this problem. It is likely the parts are on backorder or there is some other kind of problem with providing adequate supply. Rattles and squeaks drive me crazy in a car and my ranting then drives my wife crazy.

Hope you get your replacement parts soon. On the positive side, it does not appear to be a safety or drivability issue.

That seems to indicate that you are not the only FFH owner that has experienced and reported this problem. It is likely the parts are on backorder or there is some other kind of problem with providing adequate supply. Rattles and squeaks drive me crazy in a car and my ranting then drives my wife crazy.

Hope you get your replacement parts soon. On the positive side, it does not appear to be a safety or drivability issue.

Bet you would go crazy in my MKT then! Especially when the dash starts to buzz.

Bet you would go crazy in my MKT then! Especially when the dash starts to buzz.

My 2012 Focus was infested with rattles and it drove me crazy! Second worst car I ever owned and very glad it is no longer owned by me.

Edited by Texasota

Texasota, did your '12 Focus ever feel as if the windows were not all the way up and wind was coming in from somewhere? I don't mean the feeling of cold, I just mean the sound. It seems the Focus is not very soundproofed. That's one of the reasons why I want to get a Fusion or CMax. Sure would hate to give up the instant acceleration that the Focus has! Maybe the Fusion or CMax has the same thing.

I did not experience the feeling of the windows being part way down. For a compact car it felt quieter, to me, than a lot of the competition but it was way noiser than my FFH. It would be very difficult for me to move back to a compact now. On my 2012 Focus the Powershift transmission made the entire time I owned it a miserable experience.