Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Fusion Rattle

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Allegany

Allegany

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Folks, My 2013 fusion hybrid with about 36000 miles on it has a bad rattle in the right rear. The dealer thinks the shock is bad so they ordered a new one. The shock came in but the parts to attach it are on backorder for more than two weeks. It seems when two people are in the car the rattle almost disappears, so it has been hard to track down. Anyone else having this issue?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   chajones

chajones

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

A bad shock can cause a rattle, but it would be unusual for a shock to go bad after only a year and 36k miles of use.  Why does the dealer suspect the shock?  Di they see evidence of it leaking?  I'm not too familiar with the rear suspension components but a bad bushing could also cause a rattle.

#3 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

This rear rattle is documented on this Forum at least once, by one of the Mod's here, acdii.  Like yours, his rattle goes away with a load in the car, I don't think his Dealer has found a cause yet.

Maybe acdii will chime in here as this does not sound like a single car issue.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#4 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Mine appears to have been Ice buildup in the trailing arms. The thunk went away once temps were above 40*. The other weird noise I had was the air compressor bouncing in the trunk. Made it reverbrate through the car going over a hard bump. I have not had a single rattle or thunk in about 4 weeks.  There was one time it made very unusual noise squeaking, thrumming, reverbrating when I was the only one in the car, made it all the way into the dealers lot, then the tech got in, and I went to show him what I did to have it make the noise. Nothing! Noise was gone. Thats when I discovered the air compressor causing some thunks over hard bumps.  For all I know, taking it out and putting it back in solved the problem as I have not had one single instance of noise in the rear since. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#5 OFFLINE   Allegany

Allegany

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Well I was contacted by Ford service to help getting the parts apparently they were successful. I took the car in last Tuesday and they were supposed to replace the shock and bushings. I haven't had a chance to talk to the dealer as to what they actually finally found, but I no longer have a clunk. In the winter the car did seem to build up lots of ice, but I park the car in a heated basement at night so the ice would have melted off by morning. Don't know for sure what they fixed but for now no clunk in the rear. The car is back to its original smooth quiet ride.

• hybridbear and jeffo65 like this

#6 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Glad to hear it no longer clunks!

They must have given you a Work Order or Receipt, what does it say they did?  There should be parts and labor listed on it.

Edited by GrySql, 03 May 2014 - 08:43 PM.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#7 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm hearing a rattle in the trunk area of my car when I go over bumps. I guess no one has found a definite answer to this problem. I also have a rattle in my right front door area. My 2013 had rattles as well, I guess it's just part of living with the Fusion.

I'll bring up the problem during my next oil change, I won't be surprised if they say they can't recreate the problem though. Maybe I'll insist on riding along with them. :headspin:

• Sleddog likes this

#8 OFFLINE   jeffo65

jeffo65

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Make sure your rear license plate is tight as it causes a rattle over bumpy surfaces.
228095.png<p> 

#9 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yep. The license plate is tight, it isn't that. :-/

#10 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

If you have not already, you might check for something loose in the spare tire wheel well. Just a thought.

#11 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Yeah I actually just did that today. I noticed the center plastic "screw" holding the compressor spare tire mold (hopefully that makes sense) was loose, so I tightened it back up. Maybe that was it. I haven't really driven since I did that so I'll have to wait until my next bumpy road trip. If that was all it was then that's a relief.

Update: Well, that wasn't it. I guess I'll have to move to plan B.

Edited by Riggo, 26 July 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Our black FFH had numerous rattles since mile 1. I fixed one myself by swapping the sun visor clips between the driver & passenger side. Another was in the headliner and was fixed by the dealer. Except, they stained the headliner with a greasy handprint and never fixed that. The headliner rattle also returned. It also had a rattle from the trunk area and from somewhere on the side.

So far we have almost 8000 miles on the white FFH and it doesn't have any rattles yet.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#13 OFFLINE   Allegany

Allegany

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Mine was the bracket that holds the rear shock. They replaced the bracket no rattle on that side. Almost 44500 on the car 42.7 lifetime on the computer. Probably actual mileage a little less.

#14 OFFLINE   Thomz Fusion

Thomz Fusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

I hear a clunking noise from the rear right when I do a sharp right turn and go up an incline - such as when I enter my driveway. I called it to the dealer's attention shortly after purchasing the vehicle in 2013 and they didn't find anything. It has persisted and about 4 months ago I took the vehicle in and had the service writer ride along with me. The noise was repeatable and the service group diagnosed an issue related to the right rear shock assembly.

The parts have been on order for months now - still awaiting them to schedule the work. I called a few weeks ago and the service writer said that they are having difficulty in obtaining the parts - not sure i understand that, since they should be common for all Fusions. I don't think there is anything unique with the shock assembly on a hybrid. The service writer states that the replacement part (the shock) has a different part number from the original - suggesting that it has been redesigned. She believes that there must have been an issue with the original shock design.

I plan on calling and escalating this issue next week - been waiting far too long for resolving this admittedly minor annoyance..

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had this issue.

188762.png

#15 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

The parts have been on order for months now - still awaiting them to schedule the work. I called a few weeks ago and the service writer said that they are having difficulty in obtaining the parts - not sure i understand that, since they should be common for all Fusions. I don't think there is anything unique with the shock assembly on a hybrid. The service writer states that the replacement part (the shock) has a different part number from the original - suggesting that it has been redesigned.

That seems to indicate that you are not the only FFH owner that has experienced and reported this problem. It is likely the parts are on backorder or there is some other kind of problem with providing adequate supply.  Rattles and squeaks drive me crazy in a car and my ranting then drives my wife crazy.

Hope you get your replacement parts soon. On the positive side, it does not appear to be a safety or drivability issue.

#16 OFFLINE   Thomz Fusion

Thomz Fusion

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

re: Rattles and squeaks drive me crazy

I feel the same way. I'm always trying to find the source of any rattle or other noise. I find the Fusion to be incredibly quiet and solid feeling - which makes that clunk all the more noticeable, even though it seldom occurs.

188762.png

#17 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

That seems to indicate that you are not the only FFH owner that has experienced and reported this problem. It is likely the parts are on backorder or there is some other kind of problem with providing adequate supply.  Rattles and squeaks drive me crazy in a car and my ranting then drives my wife crazy.

Hope you get your replacement parts soon. On the positive side, it does not appear to be a safety or drivability issue.

Bet you would go crazy in my MKT then! Especially when the dash starts to buzz.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#18 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

Bet you would go crazy in my MKT then! Especially when the dash starts to buzz.

My 2012 Focus was infested with rattles and it drove me crazy!  Second worst car I ever owned and very glad it is no longer owned by me.

Edited by Texasota, 12 January 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   BoomerGer

BoomerGer

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 27 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'12 Focus

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

Texasota, did your '12 Focus ever feel as if the windows were not all the way up and wind was coming in from somewhere?  I don't mean the feeling of cold, I just mean the sound.  It seems the Focus is not very soundproofed.  That's one of the reasons why I want to get a Fusion or CMax.  Sure would hate to give up the instant acceleration that the Focus has!  Maybe the Fusion or CMax has the same thing.

Ger - The Southern California Connection

My carma just ran over your dogma!

My other rides;

1971 Dodge Dart, brand new!

1980 Dodge Aspen, used, former Sheriff's car (piece of JUNK!) gas hog to the extent of flushing a toilet when I XLR8!

1980 Chevy Chevette, used, cool little ride

1989 Dodge Colt, used, 4 speed, super gas saver

1992 Plymouth Sundance

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, new, known as the millineum transporter.  Gas Hog!

2000 Honda CR-V, new, (MUCH better gas mileage than the above)

2003 Honda Element, new, known as the Flaming Box!  SUPER room in the cargo area!

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid, ,new, MPG delivered as per advertised!

2012 Ford Focus, used, nice low ride for an old dude like m'self!

Next???

#20 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

Texasota, did your '12 Focus ever feel as if the windows were not all the way up and wind was coming in from somewhere?  I don't mean the feeling of cold, I just mean the sound.  It seems the Focus is not very soundproofed.  That's one of the reasons why I want to get a Fusion or CMax.  Sure would hate to give up the instant acceleration that the Focus has!  Maybe the Fusion or CMax has the same thing.

I did not experience the feeling of the windows being part way down. For a compact car it felt quieter, to me, than a lot of the competition but it was way noiser than my FFH. It would be very difficult for me to move back to a compact now. On my 2012 Focus the Powershift transmission made the entire time I owned it a miserable experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·