Gigi

2012 FFH - What do you miss? What don't you miss?

All cars get hot parked in the sun and the colour doesn't really matter. If it's hot outside, it's hot inside. Black also looks the sharpest when the car is all cleaned up and I would not hesitate to opt for it. Black really is beautiful you know. You can minimize the heat inside by cracking a window and get those side shades to keep the water out just in case. If you have a sunroof you can do the same thing.

Not much difference between the 10 and 12, other than maybe a few options that were added. There are features in the 2013 that I really liked, and also the way it drove, which is the only reason I traded my 2010 for one. The one feature I do miss is the graph on the right side dash. It was very helpful. A 2012 is a good car, and you can't go wrong with one. While it doesn't handle as well or have the styling of the 13, it is still a very good car, much better than any Camry, even the new ones. They are very reliable, and once you get the hang of it, they are very consistent in MPG. I do recommend getting one with a sunroof though, it helps to vent the car on a hot day, and in temps of 70-80, you would be surprised how well venting it and lowering the two rear windows a 1/2" can keep you cool without the wind whipping through the car. You wont need AC on those days, even in a dark colored car, mine was Atlantis Green, which kept getting mistaken for black. Inside it looked black, only under direct sunlight can you tell it was green, sort of like the new Dark Side.

Have it checked out well, and if all checks out, go for it, I think you will be pleased with it.

Oh it will be, sounds like a nice car. When you test drive it, see how well it performs in EV under 45 MPH. If you can maintain a nice steady speed without much pedal and go at least a mile like this, then the EV system is performing well. If you can get an Oasis history from Ford on it, that would be very helpful. All you need is the VIN and a dealer who can look it up for you. It will tell you if the car has been maintained by a Ford dealer, as well as what was done at each visit, and if any updates have been applied, or any TSB, or recalls performed, or if there are any outstanding ones that need to be done. A Carfax may or may not show all this since not all dealers report it.

Another thing to check on a test drive, if you can get up to 55 MPH, with the battery showing at least 1/2 full, holding a steady speed and real light pedal, see if you can get it above 40 MPG and maintain it. If you can, then the car was trained well, and should give you some really good MPG. If it struggles to get to 40 with a really light pedal on a level road at 55MPH, then it most likely was driven like any other car, and while not a bad thing, can make a new owner think something is wrong. Nothing a reset and retraining can't fix, much easier to do on the 10-12 cars.

On the 2010 I had, when driving along this one stretch of road, I would get it up to 55 MPH, and barely touch the gas pedal to maintain the speed, and the instant gauge showed it above 40 MPG the entire stretch.

As for the rest of the car, give it a good once over, inside and out, look for anything that may be out of place, like in the trunk, the lining along the sides and battery shelf, if it all looks nice and neat, then chances are there were no major repairs done, like battery removal and such. Same thing under the hood, look at the wire looms and make sure everything looks like it is wrapped nice and tight and not repaired. Check the oil, should be nice and clear.

Good luck.

As far as MPG, it will get what the sticker says, unless its really cold out, then it can lose a few, but 41 MPG is very achievable in the 10-12 FFH. Once you get the hang of it, seeing 45 MPG highway can be done just about all the time. Thats one of the disappointments I have in the 13, it doesn't do as well on the highway as the 2010 did. Funny thing is, I was doing just as good in the 2010 as I do now in the 13. The 13 is just more consistently above 40.

Interesting. I was curious about the 41 city/36 highway rating and glad to hear that it can do better than the rated 36, since most of my miles will be interstate and blue highways. My experience with my 2013 FFE has been 37-43 on the highway.

Can you tell me your experience with the seats and the sound in your 2010? The one really long trip I've taken in our FFE SE I was comfortable enough, I think, but by the end the seat was feeling a bit thin. I'm hoping that the 2012 seats are a little better.

Is the 12 speaker Sony system in the 2010-12 FFH as good as in the 13-14 Titanium? I still haven't gotten over the lack of bass range in the SE 6 speaker system.

The Sony system is much much better in the 12 than the SE non Sony. It is just as good as the Ti system and the main reason I got the HiTy. As for the seats, mine were aftermarket leather, but I have a hard time in any seat, they all seem to press into my left thigh and cause pain at some point. The only seats I really felt comfortable in were the SE Luxury seats. I never took our 2010 on a trip longer than 2 hours, but I never felt like I had to stop to stretch or anything.

I have taken the 13 on long trips, the first one I drove to Florida(where I determined there was something wrong with the car when in 70* temps it barely eeked out 34 MPG), and it had the SE Luxury seats, Very comfortable to sit in. I took our HyTi up to MN which was a 4 or 5 hour trip and the seats in that are not as comfortable as the SE. That is my only gripe with the HyTi.

I think once you get it settled in, you will like it.

The 10-12 FFH and the 13+ FFH are totally different drive trains. It took some getting used to the new one after driving the 10 for 46K miles. It takes a much lighter foot on the Gen 1 to stay in EV, and the range isn't as good as the 13, but getting 39 out of the gate(provided that is hand calculated and not the dash readout) is pretty good. Remember it is rated at 38 combined. Lets just say your 12 will meet and/or exceed EPA a lot easier than the 13+ will ever do.

Agreed, usually after 400 miles I need to get out and walk a bit, so that hasn't been a problem, but losing one day of daily driving is a PITA. In the 2010 I could go all week on one tank, but the 13 I have to fill mid week, or end of week, depending on if my wife drives 50 freaking miles on a Tuesday night to go to dinner when I am at my friends house! Grrrrr There goes one trip to work.

There is a huge difference between the 1st and 2nd gen, and getting over 41 in the 1st gen is really good considering it is rated at 39 combined. :) I dont know if you can do a full reset by disconnecting just the 12V battery in it, never tried, never really needed to either. EV is much easier in the 2nd gen, the first isn't really designed to run on pure EV like the 13+. You dont accelerate in EV in the 10-12 models, you coast or glide in EV. It took me a couple thousand miles in the 13 to get the trick of it, and now I can hit 47 on some trips that are hard to get 44 on. Depends a lot on traffic too. On these roads, I would see about 40 MPG in the 2010 when the weather wasn't too cold.