Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to hardwire a USB cable through the dash to the DC outlet under the dash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   C0recollector

C0recollector

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

2013 FFH... I have a phone mount which attaches to the window. Right now I have a USB cable going from that mount to a USB charging adapter in the cigarette socket under the dash. The problem is the cable is hanging down loosely on the right hand side of the screen (my ford touch) and it looks sloppy, gets in the way of opening and closing the glove compartment and also passengers.

I'd like to run that cable down through the dash somehow and then bring it out underneath. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I was wondering if it could be routed down through the air vent that is right there in the middle. There is another air vent right underneath the dash but I have no idea if this is a good approach or not and if I would need to remove panels, etc.

Thanks,

264022.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   C0recollector

C0recollector

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

No ideas from the genius folks in the forum? Are there any instructions on how to remove the panels in that area?  

264022.png

#3 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

I think the quick and dirty way is to run it through the defroster slot like you mentioned.

The other alternative is through an AC vent in the dash.

Beware, however, that you probably can NOT wire it directly to 12 V, because the 12 to 4.5 volt conversion likely is done inside that "cigarette lighter" plug.

#4 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Not a clue. I have adverse desires to ripping apart the dash for a cable. Only thing that comes about from that are squeaks and rattles down the road.  I would like to put a USB jack under the center stack though for my phone, so I dont have the cable snaked around everything.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#5 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

Not a clue. I have adverse desires to ripping apart the dash for a cable. Only thing that comes about from that are squeaks and rattles down the road.  I would like to put a USB jack under the center stack though for my phone, so I dont have the cable snaked around everything.

I added a 12v power point into the drivers side kick panel on our 2010 FFH.  Worked great for keeping the power cord off the dash and out of the way.  :)

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·