C0recollector

Making the Hybrid sound like a sports car engine

I got this bright idea (debateable, I know) to make my hybrid vehicle sound like a sports or muscle car. My thought was to use my bluetooth ODB2 adapter to grab the RPM data on my Android Torque app and find some way to send that to a bluetooth (or hardwired) speakers in the hood.

Then I discovered several apps in the playstore that already seemed like they would do exactly this. But after trying them I see problems working with hybrids and I'm wondering if anyone here has any good ideas (or has already figured out a solution).

Here are four apps I found:

XLR8 - Uses only GPS and phone sensors. Reaction time is delayed. Engine sounds seem the best of the lot. Won't go to landscape mode.

SoundRacer OBD2 - Uses OBD2 RPM sensor. Odd interface

DragFX - Connected to OBD2 and read the RPM sensor correctly. Less than realistic sound.

OBD2Engine Sound - Didn't try this one yet

The problem is that all the apps that use OBD2 sensors turn off when in EV mode and that just defeats the purpose of emulating a real engine. None of them let you choose a different sensor (I'm not sure which one would actually work best).

I looked at the Torque plugins but didn't see anything that would do this.

Any other ideas?

I agree that idea is debateable. No arguments from here about that and I'm now at the age where the sound isn't needed or beneficial any more. I guess I have 'matured' ;)

Giving it some thought though we do have electric cars now that are too quiet and a danger for some folks, especially those who may be blind. I recall Nissan was exploring that issue and perhaps Tesla, Mitsu may be also. However your desire is to be heard in a different manner - power and all - like good old straight pipes with mufflers removed. Perhaps the Nissan Leaf forum or other similar forums, have ideas. You want your noise full time and I get it and maybe those sites can help you with some ideas.

I had a Suburban a few years back with the 454. A couple of Flowmasters added made all the difference, in fact I called it the "Thunderburb". The sound was sweet. My SIL thought I was crazy doing it, but I explained that aside from giving it "tude" or attitude, it was done to help improve the mileage! :happy feet:

If I wanted mine to make noise, I would go a completely different route.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Now There would be a unique sound!

For what you want to do, I would think tying it to the accelerator pedal would be a better way to go. Reason being, the ICE in the Hybrid doesn't REV up like on conventional cars. So you would need an app that would read MPH and pedal position, then based on an algorithm of a muscle car, create the exhaust notes and shift points regardless of what the ICE and EV is doing.

If I wanted mine to make noise, I would go a completely different route.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Now There would be a unique sound!

For what you want to do, I would think tying it to the accelerator pedal would be a better way to go. Reason being, the ICE in the Hybrid doesn't REV up like on conventional cars. So you would need an app that would read MPH and pedal position, then based on an algorithm of a muscle car, create the exhaust notes and shift points regardless of what the ICE and EV is doing.

Exactly my thoughts.

Any ideas on how to implement short of learning how to write a native Android app?

I did find on Torque that the "PedalE(%)" option seems to measure the pedal position very accurately. Speed is also working great. I guess the best option to date is to ask one of the existing app developers to add an option to measure a different attribute than RPM for us hybrid owners or to find someone that could write a Torque plug-in.

This reminds me of the Formula One drivers. They recently switched their cars to hybrids. The big fear was that the cars wouldn't be powerful or fast enough (which turned out not to be true) but now the drivers complain that they aren't loud enough! They're looking into ways to make them louder.

Sounds more like when my horse has Colic and starts farting after treatment.

I couldn't afford baseball cards. I used cardboard I got from the grocery stores. It give a more rich, deeper sound and lasts longer.

I used credit cards that I found in the trash. :)

Who are you trying to impress? I mean....HEY, these kids and their rice burners with the fart can mufflers are bad enough going down the road sounding like they need to upshift into the next gear are bad enough. Taking an "executive looking" car like the Fusion and making it sound loud? Bubba, PLEEZE, give me a break!

Edited by BoomerGer

I got some Ford Mustang V-8 audio tracks off a site and put them on a thumb drive and plugged it into my 2010 FFH. Sometimes I'll roll down the windows at a stop or parking lot and select one and play it real loud with the Sony system. Stupid but fun.

I agree that idea is debateable. No arguments from here about that and I'm now at the age where the sound isn't needed or beneficial any more. I guess I have 'matured' ;)

Giving it some thought though we do have electric cars now that are too quiet and a danger for some folks, especially those who may be blind. I recall Nissan was exploring that issue and perhaps Tesla, Mitsu may be also. However your desire is to be heard in a different manner - power and all - like good old straight pipes with mufflers removed. Perhaps the Nissan Leaf forum or other similar forums, have ideas. You want your noise full time and I get it and maybe those sites can help you with some ideas.

I had a Suburban a few years back with the 454. A couple of Flowmasters added made all the difference, in fact I called it the "Thunderburb". The sound was sweet. My SIL thought I was crazy doing it, but I explained that aside from giving it "tude" or attitude, it was done to help improve the mileage! :happy feet:

"Giving it some thought though we do have electric cars now that are too quiet and a danger for some folks, especially those who may be blind."

I really don't think this is only a problem with EV. My last car, a 2011 MKS was so quiet you could not hear it unless you were right next to it, whether it was running or not :shift: .

I have the loud tires rumbling on my Jeep..it's nice to get in my 13 FFH and here nothing...well maybe a slight rattle on the backseat...personal opinion I'm maturing and the tuner sound is annoying and now the gas trucks with the monster "diesel" exhaust is also ridiculously annoying. Fast and quiet FFH

Im thinking of getting an 05 F150 with the 5.4 and putting a Magnaflow system on it. VRROOOOM. For those days when I need a little reminder of how quiet my car is.

Im thinking of getting an 05 F150 with the 5.4 and putting a Magnaflow system on it. VRROOOOM. For those days when I need a little reminder of how quiet my car is.

You know there's a whole new class action lawsuit against Ford for 2004 to 2008 F-150s with the 5.4, right?

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/ford-lawsuit-engine-problems-2004-2008.shtml

Just sayin'! :)

P.S. I did that to my '13 F-150 with the 5.0, only I did Flowmaster 40's. Sounds mean! :happy feet:

Edited by TonyHzNV

You know there's a whole new class action lawsuit against Ford for 2004 to 2008 F-150s with the 5.4, right?

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/ford-lawsuit-engine-problems-2004-2008.shtml

Just sayin'! :)

P.S. I did that to my '13 F-150 with the 5.0, only I did Flowmaster 40's. Sounds mean! :happy feet:

I didn't know about that one, but the spark plugs disentegrating in the 5.4L was one of the reasons we got rid of the truck before we had to change them. ;)

As for loud exhaust... I rarely turn on the stereo in this thing, not only do I get the rumble but the whine of the roots blower.

On the rollers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLEuZN_welY

In the driveway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsINtcDSm3Q

the spark plugs disentegrating in the 5.4L was one of the reasons we got rid of the truck before we had to change them.

I read up on the spark plug issues. There is a TSB on how to properly remove them, and if they break on removal, there are special tools that are used to remove them. The tool is not that expensive, its something like $61. Carbon builds up around the shield and they are 2 piece plugs. If the deposits aren't loosened up before plug removal, the bottom piece gets stuck in the head, and has to be extracted. If the porcelain part comes out with the plug and just the shell is left, easy extractions, but if the porcelain is left behind, then there is more work to be done.

So with that in mind, going to make sure if I do get one, that the plugs were changed out already, if not, have them do it as part of the deal.

Has nothing at all whatsoever to do with a Fusion going Chitty Chitty Bang Bang though.