Carol S.

Work done at dealership or your old trustworthy mechanic?

If I can't do it and its under warranty, dealer. Though since I dont have a "trusty" mechanic, if I need a repair I found my dealer to be reasonable on cost and have them do it. Last winter I slid on some ice and slammed a rear wheel into a curb and busted the left rear wheel bearing. I had it towed to them and they did the job for $400, including alignment. I might have been able to get it done cheaper, but they use Ford parts, with a 2 year warranty. (lot good that was, I traded the car off shortly after for the 13 HyTi).

A lot of the car is conventional; the physical part of the wheels and brakes, parts of the engine and the chassis and interior. The hybrid parts, the transmission, the DC to DC converter, the brake simulator system ( the pedal ), the HVB and other high voltage items should probably only be worked on by the dealers service. There have only been a few problems with the hybrid systems so even the dealer experience is limited. Many of these have been intractable and probably were due to manufacturing errors and were very difficult to repair. All have been covered by hybrid warranties so far and occured early in the vehicles life but severely inconvenienced the owners.

The design of the eCVT Ford/Toyota hybrids should yield lower lifetime repair costs even if you need to replace the HVB at high mileage. The Prius has given excellent service. My relatives have had 4 including 2 2001 Gen 1s. One had a short block and rebuilt HVB put in at 140,000 miles. The Gen 1 Prius HVBs had a few more problems than later ones but still very low. Ford has had very few HVB problems. They're not an issue. There have been so few hybrid problems that an aftermarket service and repair segment has been very sparce and slow to develop. We should see a little more data as the first Ford Escape hybrids are now 10 years old.

I have always taken the position that I would only buy new cars and have a warranty, than take a chance on trying to find a mechanic that knew what he was doing and one I could trust. And there is the piece of mind that comes from having new and a warranty and therefore not have to worry. So I guess I am a 'dealer kind of fix it guy'. But since the cars are always new, not much ever happens and so we don't really get to meet the dealer guys.

The exception to my rule has been tires and oil changes. Back in the early eighties I came across a "Good Year Service Center" and liked the people there. Many people have come and gone and it has in the past few years even changed it's name twice. It went from Good Year to CAA, which would be like your AAA and they looked after our cars. Then at the end of the year CAA sold out to Meineke and it looks like they will continue looking after the Subie (FFH will be dealer for all issues). CAA and Good Year had a program where every fifth oil change was free. They always had specials too with rotating tires and full inspections which I liked.

I had earned the free oil change on the now departed Explorer. We took in the Subie and used the card for the free change thinking Meineke would continue the program. They don't, but as a good will gesture they did the oil change and tire rotation for us at no charge for customer relations. Was I happy - you bet. Explorer didn't use synthetic oil - Subie does so that was another bonus!

By the way the FHH included a full MP with the deal. I negotiated a good deal on that and that was important to me since this was my first date with a Hybrid and I wanted insurance to make sure we enjoyed each other. I didn't want the honeymoon to end! :love_shower:

My dealer has the 5th free oil change too. I also have 2 free ones coming. Since I change at the 10K mark, thats roughly 3 changes a year. I have 4K let before the HyTi needs one, but thin kI will rotate the tires well before then, there is one tire in front that is thumping and driving me nuts. They are also pulling. I am not impressed with the GY tires that came on this car.

While the car is still covered, I just let the dealer do it, that and I dont have to worry about disposing the oil, or cleaning up the mess that is sure to happen. This way if there is an oil related issue, I know its covered since they did the work.

Read it and Ray is dead on the money there. The dealership screwed themselves and lost a customer(if they were smart enough to go elsewhere). I miss their morning shows. The key thing that the dealership said that hosed them is claiming an injector leaked.

Edited by acdii

This is one major concern I have about changing oil myself in the Energi. I'm still not sure what I want to do about it.

This should NEVER be a concern for anyone who wants to perform their own maintenance. Receipts and a log are sufficient.

Except for the fact that they aren't, as this story shows. I agree that they should be, but sadly they aren't. I'm thinking that I'll have the oil changed by the dealer or another ASE certified shop until the warranty expires. Then I would be able to produce documentation if there are issues.

They are. This is exactly what the dealers want you to think. This particular dealer's behavior seems very questionable.

The cost savings are minimal if you use coupons so I'm not worried about it.

If you are okay with using 5W-20 semi-synthetic, then you can find coupons for a Quick Lane oil change for $17.95. It would be challenging to do it yourself for less when factoring in the cost of the oil and filter plus your time.

Except they aren't, as proven by the numerous cases of warranty work being denied for this reason. I agree that it should be, but reality says that it isn't.

Proven? By scare stories? The dealers love this kind of thinking. Come in for regular oil changes, let us find some other questionable service to perform. Maybe replace your lifetime air filter, or your barely worn brake pads, since you might not know any better, or are too uninformed or scared to question what they suggest. I'm not talking about you, personally, but the many who fall for these tactics. Remember, they're not there to serve you, they're there to make money. And, it doesn't matter whether it's your dealer or your old trustworthy mechanic. Folks gotta make a living!

Yeah, I'm probably a little pessimistic, and sarcastic, too, but that's just me!

Proven? By scare stories? The dealers love this kind of thinking. Come in for regular oil changes, let us find some other questionable service to perform. Maybe replace your lifetime air filter, or your barely worn brake pads, since you might not know any better, or are too uninformed or scared to question what they suggest. I'm not talking about you, personally, but the many who fall for these tactics. Remember, they're not there to serve you, they're there to make money. And, it doesn't matter whether it's your dealer or your old trustworthy mechanic. Folks gotta make a living!

Yeah, I'm probably a little pessimistic, and sarcastic, too, but that's just me!

You are right, they do play this game. Some are worse than others. Best thing to do is follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

A Quick Lane oil change for 17.95 is a loss leader and very likely to lead to more expensive repair unless you're careful. I stopped going to them when they wouldn't rotate a tire that had a plug repair and wanted to sell me a new one for $250. They ended up overfilling the oil so they could charge me for another quart. A complaint letter yielded no response.

Go in as an informed owner. RTFM. Know the maintenance schedule so if they come back with something that you know is incorrect or questionable, you can usually make them feel pretty small when they come up with something that isn't needed. Even though my HiTi is out of B2B, I will still take it in for oil changes, and every 5th one is free. My next one should be free now that I think about it.

Where do you find the coupons?

I often see them in my local newspaper and they also get sent to me as e-mails from my local dealer. I can frequently find online coupons for the "The Works" for $29.95 which includes an oil change and tire rotation. Tough to beat that price for the two services.

I view Quick Lane as a little better than other places like Jiffy Lube where they will try to get you to spend money for unnecessary maintenance. I agree with the above posts. If you are familiar with your maintenance schedule and if you keep an eye on them Quick Lane is a good place to go for oil changes and tire rotations.

Just so you understand that $17 doesn't cover the cost of the materials for an oil change let alone the labor no matter where it's done. They are all loss leaders. Can you safely say the wheel bearing or brake pads or shocks are "NOT" dangerously worn when the shop tells you they are? If so , go ahead. I've heard of shops telling women they wouldn't put the car off the lift because it was unsafe.