Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Hardwire Dashcam

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SophiaMay

SophiaMay

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hi All,

I am planning on buying a Blueskysea G1W dashcam and would like to hardwire it. My questions are: 1) has anyone done this, with any dashcam, 2) where did you find the wiring kit, and 3) what did you wire it into? Info is scarce on wiring a hybrid, so maybe it is not any different than any other vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Depends on its amp draw and where you plan to mount it. If up high, then there is a power tap in the overhead console, if on the dash itself, you could just use the power outlet at the passenger left knee position. If you are looking to tap under the dash, GLWT, you will have a lot of panels to remove. 

• Boat Racer likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#3 OFFLINE   Boat Racer

Boat Racer

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 89 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, C6 Corvette, F-150, Explorer

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Depends on its amp draw and where you plan to mount it. If up high, then there is a power tap in the overhead console, if on the dash itself, you could just use the power outlet at the passenger left knee position. If you are looking to tap under the dash, GLWT, you will have a lot of panels to remove. 

Can you elaborate on where the power tap is in the overhead console? I would like to hard wire a radar detector for a cleaner looking installation. I have the detector mounted just below the mirror and don't like to run the coiled power cord down to the power outlet in the console between the seats. There is some kind of cover for the electronics behind the mirror but I haven't been able to figure out how to remove that cover (without possibly damaging it).

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

• Oxford White, Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Navigation, Sony, Driver Assist, Moonroof
  • Ordered: March 15, 2013
  • Built April 13, 2013
  • Delivered: April 29, 2013

199893.png

#4 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thats the thing, you have to remove the overhead console to get at the wires.  Which one has power, dont know, you would need a tap light to find it.  My days of tapping power for things has gone past, it fell into that category of, if it aint broke dont fix it,or it will be. 

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   SophiaMay

SophiaMay

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

I just purchased a hard wire kit from ebay. I am going to wire it into the overhead console. There are lots of videos on youtube on how to do this, so hopefully it will work out. I will post as soon as it is done and report on how it works.

Edited by SophiaMay, 03 June 2014 - 01:40 PM.

• Boat Racer likes this

#6 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

I just purchased a hard wire kit from ebay. I am going to wire it into the overhead console. There are lots of videos on youtube on how to do this, so hopefully it will work out. I will post as soon as it is done and report on how it works.

And if you find one of those youtube videos that serves as a good reference please reference which one, thanks.  I'm still thinking of installing one of these dashcams, awful lot of 'RushHour 500' racers out there and I swear today I was gonna see a rider on a crotch-rocket turn it into a 'Donor-Cycle' the way he was zig-zagging in traffic.  So if I'm anywhere near it (in many cases one can't avoid it) I'd like to have a record of it.

• Boat Racer and hybridbear like this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#7 OFFLINE   borland

borland

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

A while ago, I posted details of my dashcam hardwire install on Ford Fusion Forum.  I'd post a link, but new here and can't figure that out.   You can find it by googling "Ford Fusion Dashcam Installation".

Edited by borland, 04 June 2014 - 01:10 PM.

• Boat Racer likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Griswald

Griswald

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 297 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

And if you find one of those youtube videos that serves as a good reference please reference which one, thanks.  I'm still thinking of installing one of these dashcams, awful lot of 'RushHour 500' racers out there and I swear today I was gonna see a rider on a crotch-rocket turn it into a 'Donor-Cycle' the way he was zig-zagging in traffic.  So if I'm anywhere near it (in many cases one can't avoid it) I'd like to have a record of it.

Sorry, but that's just sick...

#9 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

If only I had one back in the late 80's when I was driving 18's. The one rider who was doing 200 into the back of a sedan is one I will never ever forget. Beautiful dismount, but the lamp pole broke his fall, he had a split personality after that. 

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

Sorry, but that's just sick...

No, not have a record of it for morbid reasons, to have a record of it to show how things looked from my perspective and if Evel Knievel came anywhere near me that I was not at fault.

I have no desire to go looking for sick things like that, sorry if it was phrased incorrectly.

• hybridbear likes this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#11 OFFLINE   jpgale

jpgale

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

A while ago, I posted details of my dashcam hardwire install on Ford Fusion Forum.  I'd post a link, but new here and can't figure that out.   You can find it by googling "Ford Fusion Dashcam Installation".

Would the install of a dash cam in a 2014 be close to the 2010 you info says you have?

I am interested in getting a forward facing dash cam in both my Fusion and my f250.

285323.png

#12 OFFLINE   borland

borland

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

I don't own a 2014, so I'm not sure.   I'd guess that if your 2014 has a auto dimming mirror and overhead console, then the install would be mostly the same.  Wire colors would need to be verified for that model year.

The mini 0803 is shipping now, but the firmware is not great.   Might want to wait several months for that to be worked out.  Mini 0801 is about the same and pretty stable with lower cost.

Edited by borland, 11 June 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   jpgale

jpgale

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info borland

285323.png

#14 OFFLINE   SophiaMay

SophiaMay

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:08 AM

So the overhead console idea was a bust.

Of the viable wires, one was 8v, which is too low voltage for the dashcam, two were off all the time, and  the 12v was hot all the time. We do not have a self dimming mirror as previous poster does. We have been 3 days at this and not one good solution yet. Of the wires we can get to, they are either too low voltage, or hot no matter if car turned on or not. Wanted to get into the steering column, but because we don't know how it goes together we did not want to try to open it. We will continue to try to wire this dashcam in, but right now it does not look good. I really wish there was info out there on the 2013 hybrid. If anything changes I will post. If we end up successful, hopefully I can get some pics for you all,

• Boat Racer likes this

#15 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,456 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

The three 12 volt power taps turn off about 70 minutes after the car is turned off if the 12 volt battery has a high charge level.  If the battery charge level is low they turn of when the driver's door is opened.

#16 OFFLINE   SophiaMay

SophiaMay

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Murphy, thank you for that information. I wonder how much battery depletion would occur during the minutes before everything is shut down. Something I need to look into.

#17 OFFLINE   SophiaMay

SophiaMay

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

OK! Got the camera hardwired into the overhead console. Thank you Murphy for the info on the length of time needed for things to shut down. I will post pics of what the console wiring looks like when I figure out how to do that.

IMPORTANT: If anyone buys the Blackbox G1W, DO NOT plug it directly to your computer via supplied USB, or any other USB for that matter. Plugged it in today after 2 days of usage to check how it looks and as soon as software drivers started to install the system crashed. Upon restart, my Anti-Virus popped up with warning of a threat. I ran a quick scan and found what turned out to be a Trojan called Dropper-gen[Drp]. It then downloaded a mess of PuP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs). Spent the better part of the day cleaning my pc from this garbage. I opted to use a card reader I have to check the video, and that seemed to work fine. I did reformat the card though, using the camera itself this time in the hopes of getting rid of the "monster in the camera", so to speak. I don't know if that actually does any good, but I hope so. 

7/4/14 - I am sorry. I have been trying to figure out how to post pictures, but it is way to frustrating and time consuming. If any of you want the pics, please PM me and I will send them to you.

Edited by SophiaMay, 04 July 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

Completed my Dashcam and Blackvue hardwire. Used a Micro2 fuse tap and ran the wire behind the A-Pillar cover pushing the wire in the small space between the dash and A-Pillar. I then popped the lower left trim panel loose and it had enough flex to allow a curved 8" Hemostat to remove the fuse.

V1 BlackVue
Micro2Fuse
41DM-FSfKZL.jpg
515HviUbi8L._SL1000_.jpg

• Boat Racer likes this

298222.png

383033.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·