hybridbear

2015 Toyota Camry - Toyota rushes a redesign to stay competitive

Most of it looks OK to me (top part looks like a Corolla to me, and I like the back end), but I can't stand the lower front grille, looks like the car was driving down the road and picked up an alligator (aka truck retread) and it stuck across the bumper.

I think the looks are an improvement over the current Camry, but really more on par with the Accord or Altima. It doesn't quite pull off the grille as well as a Lexus does. Fusion still wins on looks hands down, IMO.

I'd also rank the current Mazda 6 and new 2015 Sonata a bit higher than the new Camry, too. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/automobiles/2015-hyundai-sonata-modern-maturity-for-fluidic-sculpture-design.html

Clearly, the trend is that you have to have an attractive car to compete in the midsize segment, though.

I agree Ted Swing, Fusion does win in the looks department; Mazda 6 is a really close second, and I haven't seen the 2015 Sonata - has it been redesigned? I also agree, looks are more important in the midsize segment now.

Yeah, here's a link to some pictures.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/16/2015-hyundai-sonata-new-york-2014/

I actually liked the previous Sonata's looks, but it was polarizing - some people didn't like all the curves. The partial redesign - like the Camry the engines are the same - is more conventional looking, but still good IMO.

The 2010 Fusion redesign lasted only 3 years, but the 2013 model isn't just a redesign, it was a complete ground up makeover. It is a brand new model with the same name. I didn't see an option list, so unless they are adding more options, the Fusion is still top dog when it comes to options and pricing. The closest sedan not in the "luxury" market is the Avalon, but it costs more.

It was a sure factor for me. I would have felt like going backwards from the 13 Fusion to a 13 Camry since it lacked a lot of the features, including the drivers side auto dim mirror. It was the major deciding factor to give FOrd a second chance on the HyTi, and I am so glad I did.

It's all about market share and with sales slipping, Toyota did what they needed to do and keep it fresh. Looks like they are going to adopt the Corolla look on the front end and the rear reminds me of a BMW with the trunk lid. Not a bad thing I guess.

What sells the Camry is Toyota's reputation, and nothing more. Oh its a Toyota, I never have to worry about it breaking down. That is really what sells it. Those who buy them also tend to ignore American brands, again due to reputation since they have been known to be crap cars for way too long. It will take quite a while before Ford gets the reputation that Toyota and Honda have.

As far as Hyundai and Plagiarism, If you look at the Veracruz, it was a direct copy of its direct competitor, Lexus. At a glance the Veracruz and RX350 look the same, it isnt until you look at them can you tell them apart. Kudos to Hyundai though, I drove a Lexus RX400h, and while it did have a better ride, it didn't handle as well and Holy Crapola batman, was it Noisy! You could not understand what was being talked on the AM radio when the ICE was running. OTOH you could not hear the V6 running in the Veracruz, nor feel it. It was very smooth and very quiet. The VC also sat 7 passengers, the Lexus only sat 5. Only reason I got rid of it was I made a huge mistake not getting it in AWD and damn near lost it driving in snow when the rear end broke loose. I could not find another in AWD that I could afford, and got a Flex instead.

I don't understand how Toyota still has such a good reputation with all the issues they've had.

That surprises me. For years Toyota sold cars based primarily on reliability and it worked very well. Now we have the public more in tune with the ways of the world and the legal system - using it as a means to an end. Toyota was slow to pick up this "sudden acceleration" of awareness and balked for awhile. Today they know better.

And because they are being much more proactive in identifying issues and ordering recalls, the general public has responded and has faith in them for 'doing the right things'. Of course we know better - they are trying to prevent lawsuits, and it works. That's why they sit on top again and of course GM might have helped waiting 10 years to fix that starter issue. :thumbsup:

Bias plays a big part. Majority of Toyota buyers are biased against US brands. It doesn't matter if Toyota has quality issues, or if other car companies have a better product. To me a Toyota will always be a disposable car company, because that is what they were for the longest time, cheap transportation that got you where you needed to be without issues. While they are no longer cheap in a monetary sense, their overall products in the under 35K range are cheaply made.

There is also the want vs need thing. Need a reliable car, don't want issues, don't really care if it has cheap materials.

Given time and trust that Ford can keep up the high quality standards they have now, along with improving Customer Care, things will turn around and more buyers will take notice that Ford has a better car than the Camry.

Also keep in mind, there are a TON of fleet Camry's and Prius out there now. In Chitcago I can count at least 100 taxis in a 30 minute span just standing on a corner in downtown. I might see one or two Fusions during that time. This can account for a large amount of their sales too.

Bias plays a big part. Majority of Toyota buyers are biased against US brands. It doesn't matter if Toyota has quality issues, or if other car companies have a better product. To me a Toyota will always be a disposable car company, because that is what they were for the longest time, cheap transportation that got you where you needed to be without issues. While they are no longer cheap in a monetary sense, their overall products in the under 35K range are cheaply made.

There is also the want vs need thing. Need a reliable car, don't want issues, don't really care if it has cheap materials.

Given time and trust that Ford can keep up the high quality standards they have now, along with improving Customer Care, things will turn around and more buyers will take notice that Ford has a better car than the Camry.

Also keep in mind, there are a TON of fleet Camry's and Prius out there now. In Chitcago I can count at least 100 taxis in a 30 minute span just standing on a corner in downtown. I might see one or two Fusions during that time. This can account for a large amount of their sales too.

Agreed. I think there was an impression for a while that American car buyers were not very discerning. Many manufacturers wouldn't sell the best versions of their vehicles here. There was also sense that the American manufacturers made unreliable cars and were not very innovative. (Not to pick on GM, but I think the recent issue with the Cobalt is an example of the kind of thing that reinforces this.) I think people became fans of certain foreign brands like Toyota during that time. I think it has changed a lot in the last few years - not that the imported cars have gotten worse, but the domestic manufacturers are doing a much better job and Americans are more discerning. Ford in particular has done a great job with cars like the FFH.

I've gotten compliments on my FFH from many people. I had a visitor from Japan for my work who was very impressed by it after riding in it. One of my bosses also used a new Ford Fusion (gas version) as a company car recently. His personal car is a BMW M5. He had expected not to like the Fusion, but actually driving it changed his mind and he told me he likes it.

I don't think the Camry is a bad car, but I was surprised, too, at how much market share it has. It's not really the best at anything, IMO, or particularly inspiring. I think it comes down to certain people having made up their minds about certain brands based on previous experiences and being reluctant to change them. For some it will just take time for them to reconsider. For others, it will be more of a generational shift as younger people come in with a more open mind and come to different conclusions.

Funny how things have changed over the years. Before car companies were afraid to issue recall notices because they didn't want their customers to think they were incapable of building a good product. Recalls = lower sales and the finance people would be loathe to do that. :drop:

Today is just the opposite. Companies actually want to issue recall notices - not so much for client loyalty I suspect, but to avoid or minimize litigation. The costs of being sued are HUGE and with courts leaning towards support for the little guy - aka you and me, the awards have been stupid and all out of proportion.

So Toyota, having learned their lesson, now promotes these recalls and the bottom line is that there is more consumer trust and faith in them because they have stepped up and been honest! Crazy eh? :)