Sign in to follow this  
DirectorMan

Ruby Red with Clearcoat: Will it fade over time?

if I wash it and wax it on a regular basis

I think that's a big factor, and using clay bar when needed ( http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7226-meguiars-clay-kit/ ) and it will stay in good shape..

Be sure to get a good look at Ruby Red before you buy it, in both direct sunlight and in shaded areas, as the sunlight makes it look like a bit of a different color (but I like it either way).

Great color choice and it was what I wanted originally. Because it is metallic and clear coat, it is not like an enamel which will fade. Good care with regular washing, waxing and once a year perhaps the clay bar will keep it looking like new. Just make sure that any stains, like little droppings from heaven - trees or birds etc. are promptly removed. ;)

Any paint can fade over time, all depends on how well you protect it. A good wax or sealant that provides UV protection is all you really need, and regular washes. I had a 1992 Crown Victoria that was Titanium colored. It was a really nice color, until it faded. It practically disappeared over the years, at first there were dark streaks showing where the paint didn't fade, then eventually it all faded to primer gray. I had the shiniest primer colored car around. The clear coat was perfect on the car, very nice gloss to it, the base coat faded away. Strangest thing I ever saw.

Be sure to get a good look at Ruby Red before you buy it, in both direct sunlight and in shaded areas, as the sunlight makes it look like a bit of a different color (but I like it either way).

I'm no expert, but to my eyes the Ruby Red looks like a Candy-Apple Red.