Jason Riberdy

Tire Life

This all depends on the tire itself. Some tires used exclusively on hybrids are high mileage tires. They are very low rolling resistance, but have Horrible wet traction(Prius). However the tires on the Fords, are the same regardless if its a Hybrid or not, so the saleman was blowing smoke up your back door.

I got 59K on the Michelins on a 2010 FFH. They would have gone to 65K but it was near time for the 10K rotation and oil change and I had a 3K trip coming up.

Edited by lolder

On a conventional (non-hybrid) car the majority of the braking is acheived from the front brakes/tires. I have seen 70% frequently attributed to the front brakes/tires leaving 30% for the rear brakes/tires. That would seem to imply that tire wear due to braking will be significantly greater on the front tires as opposed to the rear tires. This obviously plays a significant factor in why regular tire rotation is important.

On a hybrid car it would seem that an even greater amount of braking is acheived from the front tires due to regenenerative braking. For hybrid drivers that consistently achieve 100% brake scores the rear tires are probably contributing very little or no braking action and the front tires are doing all the work.

This would seem to imply to me that you will have faster tire wear on the front tires for a hybrid than you would for a conventional car which suggests that regular tire rotations are even more important in order to acheive maximum tire life for a hybrid. I'm only speculating here but wondering if this makes sense?

Don't disagree with anything in the above interesting responses. I did not mean to imply that you are going to get more pronounced tire wear with a hybrid. Given a conventional FF and a FFH that are roughly equal weights and driven in the same gentle manner I would suspect nearly equivalent tire wear for both cars over the life of the tires.

The speculation I was making is that during one tire rotation cycle (5000 - 6000 miles) for the FFH there is likely to be less tire wear on the rear tires and more tire wear on the front tires (due to generative braking) as compared to the tire wear on the conventional FF which would be a little more (not a lot) equally distributed between the front and rear tires.

If that is true, then it would seem that you would want to be more conscientious about following the recommended tire rotation schedule for the FFH. This all may be silly and not measurable. These thoughts just occured to me as I was reading this thread on tire wear.

On a side note, I went for a 90 mile test drive in a 2014 FFH SE yesterday. It was a fascinating experience and having followed this forum for over a year made for a more informed and interesting test drive.

Sharp cornering will wear the tires faster than anything else other than burnouts. Normal braking will have the same wear as normal acceleration, its the scrubbing that happens in driving in other than a straight line. When you turn, all 4 tires turn at different speeds, and they scrub as they turn, moving forward and sideways at the same time.

Tire wear from braking will be immeasurable due to all the other variables. Unless of course you always lock them up, then you will have flat spots.

A factor in longevity of tires is the percentage of HWY vs City driving you do. The higher percentage of highway, the longer your tires will last. I currently have 80% hwy with 54k mi. on the tires and they will easily make it to 60K and maybe 70k mi. There maybe a correlation between mpg's average and tire wear too. :)

Paul

A lot more turns in City driving vs. straight line driving on highways. This leads to more tire wear. Good example too.

Mine thump, at least I hope its the tires thumping and not a bearing. In any case they are going to be replaced soon with only 22700 on them.