Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dead Battery

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

I'm not sure if it has MFT. How would I know? The back of my console has what looks like a standard cigarette lighter port, so I'm guessing I don't have a 110V.

MFT = MyFord Touch

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

What? 
HB you are amazing.  :worship:

Of course I meant "FFH's with MFT", yeah, that's right, uh-huh.
animated-smileys-embarrassed-23.gif

Thanks. This distinction is very familiar to me since the black FFH didn't have MFT & thus didn't have this outlet whereas the new white one does.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#23 OFFLINE   vett93

vett93

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Has Ford ever fixed the 12V battery issue? I have 2014 Fusion Energi with a build date of Feb 2014. I am wondering if my car is still impacted by this issue.

Mustang LX -> Firebird TA -> Corvette LT-1 -> BMW 7-series w/ M-Sports -> Mitsu EVO MR -> Fusion Energi Titanium 

#24 OFFLINE   Barsoom

Barsoom

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

My 2013 FFH 12v battery went dead again last week. I left the car at the airport for 6 days, and it was dead when I returned. This was after a 45 minute highway drive to the airport.

Everything turned on instantly (lights, etc), when the airport service person hooked up a battery pack, and the car started right up.

I'm still getting the battery saver message every time I shut off the car (except for immediately after my 45 minute drive home).

Whatever Ford suggested that my dealer service technicians try, it was clearly a blind shot in the dark.

#25 OFFLINE   inco

inco

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 215 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Ouch. That certainly isn't something you want to have happen, or something to expect. Sounds like a short in the system because the drive to the airport should have resulted in a fully charged battery. If it isn't a short then there must be something that is draining the power when parked. Either way some good detective work is going to be needed. Get the dealer to try harder.

Drive fuelishly  - not foolishly

#26 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

My 2013 FFH 12v battery went dead again last week. I left the car at the airport for 6 days, and it was dead when I returned. This was after a 45 minute highway drive to the airport.

Everything turned on instantly (lights, etc), when the airport service person hooked up a battery pack, and the car started right up.

I'm still getting the battery saver message every time I shut off the car (except for immediately after my 45 minute drive home).

Whatever Ford suggested that my dealer service technicians try, it was clearly a blind shot in the dark.

If you haven't already get Ashley involved.  These batteries don't go dead in 6 days unless something is drawing power.  The dealer needs to tap the battery and see how much of a draw the system is using when the key is off. If they haven't replaced the battery, it should be.  

These aren't THAT complicated! In fact, it is no different than any conventional car, the 12v system is a 12v system, Battery provided 13.5 Volts, turn on key, battery powers up the car. only real difference is this battery doesn't turn a starter motor, and the car uses a converter to charge it instead of an alternator.  Load test the battery, load test the charging system, check current draw. 

• hybridbear likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#27 OFFLINE   James Sentman

James Sentman

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Car batteries cannot be deep discharged without destroying them. If it’s gone dead on you more than two or three times then the battery needs to be replaced or it’s going to keep doing it, and that time it will be the fault of the battery. 

• Toz likes this

#28 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid, 08 Tahoe LTZ, 03 Vette

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

After six visits to the dealer, were still getting the battery saver message about 2 weeks after the battery is charged up.  I'm just re-charging the battery every couple of weeks.  I don't think Ford knows what to do -or- they know and it will cost to much for a recall, playing ignorant.  Just like GM and their ignition issue. 

#29 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Well I agree with that there should be fix but comparing that to the GM ignition issue is not fair.
At least when the battery is dead you can drive which sucks but you can't get hurt either. If the ignition suddenly decides to turn off while driving your problems are much bigger.
  • hybridbear likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#30 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

After six visits to the dealer, were still getting the battery saver message about 2 weeks after the battery is charged up.  I'm just re-charging the battery every couple of weeks.  I don't think Ford knows what to do -or- they know and it will cost to much for a recall, playing ignorant.  Just like GM and their ignition issue. 

Have you involved Ashley?

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#31 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,456 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Has the battery ever been completely dead?  Lead-acid "starter" batteries are usually permanently damaged if they are completely discharged.

#32 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

They hope you will give up and accept a defective car.  At a minimum they need to replace the 12 volt since they are unwilling to find the problem.  I suggest you keep pestering and doing everything you can to make Ford spend money on the issue which I believe is the only way they will fix you car.  Myself, after 3 batteries and other headaches are eagerly awaiting the time I can afford to replace my 2013 Hybrid with something that consistantly works.

#33 OFFLINE   vett93

vett93

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Do a YouTube video!

Mustang LX -> Firebird TA -> Corvette LT-1 -> BMW 7-series w/ M-Sports -> Mitsu EVO MR -> Fusion Energi Titanium 

#34 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 154 posts
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid, 08 Tahoe LTZ, 03 Vette

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

:)

Edited by Ric, 30 April 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   Barsoom

Barsoom

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

Status update: Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. They agreed to replace the 12v battery this time. Finally!

They still want to run another round of diagnostics on it as a matter of course, so they will be keeping it all day. I expect to get it back by closing time.

I have a nagging suspicion that I did get one of the last of the bad batch of batteries (my build was Feb 6, 2013), but I also feel that there is still something systemically wrong with the 2013 FFH's, as evidenced by others reporting the same here (BS messages and dead batteries), and the absence of reports from the 2014 FFH owners.

At least I can remove the condition of the battery as a cause from further troubleshooting.

#36 OFFLINE   inco

inco

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 215 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'm sure the dealer will do the right thing, but being a pessimist I would ask to see the old battery, maybe even keep it and use it to boost things now and then around the house, or other cars? Not your car, of course. ;)

• hybridbear likes this

Drive fuelishly  - not foolishly

#37 OFFLINE   Barsoom

Barsoom

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

Latest news: Yay!!! My battery failed the load test!!!

It seems kind of backwards to be celebrating news like that, but that's where the 2013 FFH has put me after a year of owning it.

The dealer replaced the battery and reset the system. For now, I no longer have the BS message. Let's see how long this lasts.

• acdii and James Sentman like this

#38 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

I know the feeling. I pretty much felt the same way after the BD fiasco and having gone through the trading, and other crap, then the replacement car worked perfectly and gets great gas mileage, and I am thrilled, See I told you so! Not me it was the car.  Sad but true. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#39 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,777 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

When I went to start my 2010 FFH the other day, the ready to drive green icons didn't come on. I turned it off and then on and it came "on". I left it on for 1 1/2 hours to charge. Later in the evening, it wouldn't start again AND wouldn't turn off for several seconds. Battery voltage was 10.7 vdc, a dead/shorted cell. I had put this battery in about two years after the cars delivery in 2009 and kept the OEM one for an emergency supply for my den. I put the old battery in ( now 5 years old ) and got it working OK until I got a new battery at Ford yesterday. The failed battery was 37 months old and they only charged me $44 instead of $118. I put the new one in and put the OEM one back in the den. The new one is showing the green ball for now, a rarity.

When things are screwy, suspect the 12 vdc battery first.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#40 OFFLINE   djlock

djlock

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:FFH Energi

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

If you haven't already get Ashley involved.  These batteries don't go dead in 6 days unless something is drawing power.  The dealer needs to tap the battery and see how much of a draw the system is using when the key is off. If they haven't replaced the battery, it should be.  

These aren't THAT complicated! In fact, it is no different than any conventional car, the 12v system is a 12v system, Battery provided 13.5 Volts, turn on key, battery powers up the car. only real difference is this battery doesn't turn a starter motor, and the car uses a converter to charge it instead of an alternator.  Load test the battery, load test the charging system, check current draw. 

12 v 6 cell LAB when new shows 2.2 volts per cell, so for a total battery voltage of 6x2.2v or 13.2v

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·