Gregavi

Dead Battery

My 2013 FFH 12v battery went dead again last week. I left the car at the airport for 6 days, and it was dead when I returned. This was after a 45 minute highway drive to the airport.

Everything turned on instantly (lights, etc), when the airport service person hooked up a battery pack, and the car started right up.

I'm still getting the battery saver message every time I shut off the car (except for immediately after my 45 minute drive home).

Whatever Ford suggested that my dealer service technicians try, it was clearly a blind shot in the dark.

If you haven't already get Ashley involved. These batteries don't go dead in 6 days unless something is drawing power. The dealer needs to tap the battery and see how much of a draw the system is using when the key is off. If they haven't replaced the battery, it should be.

These aren't THAT complicated! In fact, it is no different than any conventional car, the 12v system is a 12v system, Battery provided 13.5 Volts, turn on key, battery powers up the car. only real difference is this battery doesn't turn a starter motor, and the car uses a converter to charge it instead of an alternator. Load test the battery, load test the charging system, check current draw.

I'm sure the dealer will do the right thing, but being a pessimist I would ask to see the old battery, maybe even keep it and use it to boost things now and then around the house, or other cars? Not your car, of course. ;)

I know the feeling. I pretty much felt the same way after the BD fiasco and having gone through the trading, and other crap, then the replacement car worked perfectly and gets great gas mileage, and I am thrilled, See I told you so! Not me it was the car. Sad but true.

When I went to start my 2010 FFH the other day, the ready to drive green icons didn't come on. I turned it off and then on and it came "on". I left it on for 1 1/2 hours to charge. Later in the evening, it wouldn't start again AND wouldn't turn off for several seconds. Battery voltage was 10.7 vdc, a dead/shorted cell. I had put this battery in about two years after the cars delivery in 2009 and kept the OEM one for an emergency supply for my den. I put the old battery in ( now 5 years old ) and got it working OK until I got a new battery at Ford yesterday. The failed battery was 37 months old and they only charged me $44 instead of $118. I put the new one in and put the OEM one back in the den. The new one is showing the green ball for now, a rarity.

When things are screwy, suspect the 12 vdc battery first.