Gregavi

Dead Battery

Hi all,

Today I went out to drive my 2013 to the market but my FOB would not unlock my door. I thought maybe my FOB battery was dead so I tried opening the door with the combo above the door. No luck there. I had to remove the lock cover and open it manually.I then tried to start it. No luck there. I tried to pop the trunk, no luck there. How do I access the battery? I couldn't unlock the back doors so I sent my 11 YO daughter to the back, pull the seats down, crawl to the trunk area and pull the trunk release handle (It was fortunate that, when I first bought the car and discovered the trunk release handle I would let her crawl back there and open the trunk as a game, so she knew exactly where it was). It would have been very difficult for me to make that crawl at my age and size. So, I figure "Horrible design" to not be able to access the trunk when the battery dies without crawling through a very tight space. I connected my jumper cables to my wife's car battery and then to my battery and before I could even start her car my horn started going off. I then started my car, disconnected the jumper cables, drove to the market and back and now all seems to be OK. So, what happened? How do I prevent this from happening again? Is this really the only way to access the battery when it is dead? Input welcome.

Thanks in advance.

The way Ford suggests to jump start your battery is from under the hood at the two access points. Page 235 in your Owner's Manual.

See this: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6284-jump-starting/?p=46592

In addition, it might be wise to see your Dealer and have them check your battery, that is not normal behavior.

The way Ford suggests to jump start your battery is from under the hood at the two access points. Page 235 in your Owner's Manual.

See this: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6284-jump-starting/?p=46592

In addition, it might be wise to see your Dealer and have them check your battery, that is not normal behavior.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the thread you linked and thought one of the posts was interesting. He wrote:

"Another poster stated that the dealer suggested the trickle charger be hooked directly to the battery to prevent loss through the cables under the hood. That's what I did on mine and it seems to work fine."

So, there seems to be some differences in opinion on what the best method of charging is. I understand the safety issue, but I believe the direct connect would probably be better overall.

I will have the dealer check the battery and ask what they recommend.

Thanks again.

Edited by Gregavi

The direct connect is not better. Connecting under the hood avoids the chance of a spark setting off hydrogen gas that might be venting from the battery. Most cars have the battery under the hood which is well ventilated when the hood is open. The battery in the trunk is in an enclosed space that is not well ventilated. There is a vent tube that goes from the battery to underneath the car but hydrogen is lighter than air and might rise back into the trunk.

In my opinion the car has a defect in a module or overall design that Ford will not admit to. However, have the dealer check it out and be prepared for warnings about not driving it enough or a usb thumb drive drawing down the battery when the car is off. Funny if not so frustrating. I really miss my 2003 Saab. Compared to the Fusion Hybrid it was trouble free.

Edited by mrobinso8

Watching the status of the 12 volt battery has always been the responsibility of vehicle owner or his designated service facility. The only difference here is that you don't get the traditional warning of listening to to sound of your engine starter attempt to crank the engine, and thereby getting a clue to the battery capacity by that feedback. I have a $20, 100 amp battery capacity checker that I got at Harbor Freight, and my threshold on a car 12 volt battery is that the voltage level is greater than 10.4 volts when loaded at a 100 amps. This meter is nothing but an analog voltage meter set across a large low impedence resistor. My original 12 volt battery still reads 10.6 volts at 100 amps, so after 4 years and 90K miles, I will not be replacing it yet. At 80K miles my dealer confirmed with his load tester that the battery was fine, when I got my free oil change, (every other one is still free at this dealer). I never leave anything plugged into my inside power outlet, because just as a small leak can sink a great ship, a small amperage drain can kill a great battery.

Those 12 volt power outlets turn off about 70 minutes after the car is turned off.

I hope you will follow up with us as to what happened after the dealer has had a chance to find out what went wrong. Unusual to say the least and worth sharing. Thanks for the post. ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I do keep a few things plugged in at all times, like cell phone charger, iPod and GPS. When I turn off the engine, the audio system stays on until I open my door. I assumed everything shut off at that time since the lights go off on my chargers. I understand there is usually some power leakage while they are plugged in, but I didn't think it would be enough to drain the battery. Maybe it is significant enough to drain the battery. I drive the car pretty much every day.

Question: At what time does the regular battery get charged? Any time the car is running, or only when running under combustion engine? Is there a typical alternator involved? I don't really know much about how the hybrid system works.

I will report after a dealer visit. There is another issue with noise in the audio system that I want them to address as well. So, I will be taking it in soon.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gregavi

When you start the car it charges off of the hybrid battery so the ICE doesn't need to be running. :)

Paul

The only outlet that shuts off right away is the 120V one in the rear. All the 12V once stay on for quite some time.

The only outlet that shuts off right away is the 120V one in the rear. All the 12V once stay on for quite some time.

Do all 2013 models have a 120V plug? If so, I don't know where mine is.

Do all 2013 models have a 120V plug? If so, I don't know where mine is.

Yes, it's an 110v-150w Powerpoint at the end of the center console, accessed from the back seats.

Ford suggests that the ICE be running while it's in use.

Page 142 in your Owner's Manual.

Only Fusions with MFT have this outlet. Does your FFH have MFT?

Good point didn't think about that one.

I'm not sure if it has MFT. How would I know? The back of my console has what looks like a standard cigarette lighter port, so I'm guessing I don't have a 110V.

I'm not sure if it has MFT. How would I know? The back of my console has what looks like a standard cigarette lighter port, so I'm guessing I don't have a 110V.

The 110 volt outlet has a square cover that flips up. It's right beside the 12 volt power port.

What?

HB you are amazing. :worship:

Of course I meant "FFH's with MFT", yeah, that's right, uh-huh.

animated-smileys-embarrassed-23.gif

MFT = MyFord Touch

What?

HB you are amazing. :worship:

Of course I meant "FFH's with MFT", yeah, that's right, uh-huh.

animated-smileys-embarrassed-23.gif

Thanks. This distinction is very familiar to me since the black FFH didn't have MFT & thus didn't have this outlet whereas the new white one does.

Has Ford ever fixed the 12V battery issue? I have 2014 Fusion Energi with a build date of Feb 2014. I am wondering if my car is still impacted by this issue.

My 2013 FFH 12v battery went dead again last week. I left the car at the airport for 6 days, and it was dead when I returned. This was after a 45 minute highway drive to the airport.

Everything turned on instantly (lights, etc), when the airport service person hooked up a battery pack, and the car started right up.

I'm still getting the battery saver message every time I shut off the car (except for immediately after my 45 minute drive home).

Whatever Ford suggested that my dealer service technicians try, it was clearly a blind shot in the dark.

Ouch. That certainly isn't something you want to have happen, or something to expect. Sounds like a short in the system because the drive to the airport should have resulted in a fully charged battery. If it isn't a short then there must be something that is draining the power when parked. Either way some good detective work is going to be needed. Get the dealer to try harder.