Does the engine gain more performance by using higher octane gas?

Nope, doesn't hurt though. I have run 89 since day 1, only because the station it got filled at for the first tank, and every tank ever since has 89 as their lowest grade and is only a few cents more than the 87 at the surrounding stations, cheaper when you buy $20 in groceries as they knock .20 off a gallon for 25 gallons. It may or may not help with the MPG since I have never run any other than 2 tanks of 87 when I took a trip to MN last year.

Edited by acdii

Does the engine gain more performance by using higher octane gas?

No.

It would be nice if someone would run dry to find out how big the tank is.

Do a google search on fuel pump damage resulting from running out of gas and you will find lots of discussion and opinions on this matter. Most of it describes how the fuel pump resides in the fuel tank and relies on the gasoline to lubricate and cool the fuel pump.

I don't know if this is trues for all cars, some cars or maybe it is only myth. But consider the risk to your car and an expensive repair by intentionally running it dry.

It is NOT a good idea to run fuel injected engines out of gas. Regardless of how many times you get away with it, they are not designed to do that. The assumption that there is a gallon left after zero miles is a good one. I never go below an 1/8 th of a tank and never below 1/2 in Hurricane season. You should never go below 1/4 in Spring ( or Summer, Winter or Fall ).

Do a google search on fuel pump damage resulting from running out of gas and you will find lots of discussion and opinions on this matter. Most of it describes how the fuel pump resides in the fuel tank and relies on the gasoline to lubricate and cool the fuel pump.

I don't know if this is trues for all cars, some cars or maybe it is only myth. But consider the risk to your car and an expensive repair by intentionally running it dry.

Been there, done that, and $2500 later had all new wiring in the trunk along with a new fuel pump. Pump seized from running dry too many times and for some reason did not blow the fuse, but melted the wiring instead. Running a tank dry as a test to see how much fuel a tank can hold is VERY bad advice. Does it really matter any way? Just fill it before or when DTE hits 0 and dont worry about it.