I got an invite from BMW to test drive the upcoming electric vehicle, the i3. The car is decent looking (but definitely NOT for everyone!), but I HATED the way it drove! Unlike the FFH, the BMW regenerative brakes work completely differently than we are all used to. When I took my foot of the accelerator, the car came to a complete stop. It accelerates quickly, but I couldn't figure out how to slow down from 50mph to 40mph without the car jerking faster and then slower. For a base price of $41K, it has a range of 80-100 miles per charge.

For $4,500, you can purchase a "range extender tank", which holds 2 gallons of gas, but claims to double the range to up to 200 miles per charge. And it charges on regular AC 110 power in about 12 hours, of you can purchase a $5K charger than charges it on 220 in about 2 hours. If your electricity can handle 480 it charges to 80% in only 20 minutes.

IMG_0027_zps95ea2752.jpg

IMG_0029_zps8d8b374f.jpg

IMG_0030_zpsd75fe9e0.jpg

I forgot to mention, note in the second picture above, you can see the taillights of my FFH parked beyond the BMW! LOL!

I had heard about the brakes working like that before. I'm still not sure why they designed it that way. The articles about it didn't give a clear explanation.

It is an intriguing car, as an electric with a carbon fiber body and pretty good range. Not my favorite for looks, though. Now, the i8....

BMW_i8_Concept_IAA.jpg

:drool:

Oh yes, that's the car I'm waiting to get invited to test drive! Had to be a different design team that worked on the i8!

Looks like something my cats left for dead after having their fun with it. Never was impressed much by a bmw.

I sat in an i3 at the Auto Show.

Cheap cloth seats, very vertical seating position.

Kinda felt like a golf cart.

Didn't drive in it.

Impression was not a wow.