Sign in to follow this  
harrelsc

P215/50R17 Tire Installed on 2011 FFH instead stock P225/50R17

I recently had all four tires replace and unfortunately did not look closely after picking up vehicle. I have now discovered that the tire dealership put on Continental Pro Contact P215/50R17 instead of the Continental Pure Contact P225/50R17. My main question is in regards to the tire size 215 vs. 225 does this pose a safety hazard and if not what concerns should I have?

Regards, Steven

I recently had all four tires replace and unfortunately did not look closely after picking up vehicle. I have now discovered that the tire dealership put on Continental Pro Contact P215/50R17 instead of the Continental Pure Contact P225/50R17. My main question is in regards to the tire size 215 vs. 225 does this pose a safety hazard and if not what concerns should I have?

Regards, Steven

225 is the width of the tire in mm, verses 215 which is 10 mm difference or .39 inch. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference, although the new tire is 1.5% less diameter, so at 65 mph indicated, you'll be doing 64 mph, actual. If you asked for a direct replacement then you might have an argument for replacing what they gave you to what you asked for.

The smaller tires will have a lower load capacity unless they have an XL rating. This is a safety issue and the tire shop should fix it no questions asked. If the load rating on your new tires is 91H, then you should get them changed.