Im picking up my Fusion Hybrid Thursday. A dealer told me that the mape updates are free, but from what I find on the net there $200.

Whats the truth?

Hi larrylwill,

It sounds like there may have been some confusion. Was the dealer talking about SYNC software updates? When software updates are released for SYNC, they can usually be downloaded right from your account at: www.Support.Ford.com Map updates are handled through our software partner, HERE (formerly Navteq). When a map update becomes available, it will be posted here: www.Navigation.com Enter the year, make, and model of your vehicle to see available maps and pricing information. If you're unable to find an answer to a specific question about an update, you can speak to a HERE representative at 888-628-6277.

If there was an agreement made by a specific dealership, I suggest getting some clarification from them just to make sure.

Kim

How about free map updates! I have never paid for a map update in my life, and I am NOT going to start now.

It was a dealer in Ft Payne Al that told me that, Thats the reason I elected to get the Navigation. It is not fair to buy a car with 3 year old maps and then have to pay when they releise current maps. Customers should get one upgrade free. ALL the GPS's I have bought (3) included 1 free map update, and many now include ALL updates free, Magellian. I have already had 2 updates on my Magellian in the last year, and the other 1 update. The Magellian has 12 million points of interest. One is tela atlas and 2 are navteq. I should have checked further. It would be nice if Ford would post on their web site that they rip people off if they buy a Navigation system. . The cheaper GPS uints are more up to date than a $30,000 car and a $800 gps navigation system and its really gready of Ford. In all practically their will be a map upgrade very soon, as 2011 maps are pretty old. The map updates are already a year old when releised. (2012)

No offence meant to you, but the situation stinks, i already have a bad taste and have not even received the car. You can see other people on this board are under the same assumption that the updates were free..

I can see where you're coming from, larrylwill. Although updates are periodically offered at: www.Navigation.com they are not required; they are just available as an option. In order to provide the most accurate data for your Fusion's navigation system, teams of over 2,000 geographic analysts drive millions of miles each year to collect and verify the data within each map update before it is released. Factory-installed navigation systems have more complexity than personal navigation devices and smartphone updates. In addition, they often include software updates that improve system features. These are a few reasons why you are seeing a higher cost associated with these map updates compared to the personal GPS systems that you've mentioned. We are committed to ensuring that each map update delivers value and enhances your navigation experience, but I encourage you to speak with one of HERE's representatives about the details before purchasing. I know you haven't even picked up the car yet, but here is the number for HERE again (just in case you need it in the future): 888-628-6277.

If you recall the dealership that provided you with the incorrect information, please send me a PM including your name, VIN, phone number, and the name of that dealership. I'd like to document your feedback at the very least.

Kim

Gotta love this line about NAVTEQ: "NAVTEQ supplies precise, comprehensive location content to power automotive navigation systems, portable and wireless devices, Internet-based mapping applications and government and business solutions."

A prime example of NavTeq's precise map information: The H.E. Bailey Turnpike in Oklahoma has a speed limit of 75 MPH. The "precise" information from NAVTEQ shows the speed limit as 74 MPH. 74? How difficult is it to correctly provide something as simple as a speed limit? I seriously doubt the next update from these people with reflect the changes in Texas to 75 MPH on most Interstate and State roads, as well as the 85 MPH limit around Austin. I bet the update won't even show the new 85 MPH toll road!